What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using Lion also...did you have any issues when you updated to .108? When I updated to .102, I had issues where my router gave me an IP conflict and it took me a while to figure that problem out because it kept dropping my connections. I found a workaround to getting .102 to behave with my router.

Hello: I updated from .96 to .108. via OS X 10.7.3--so far I haven't noted any issues and have been using wireless since my earlier update.

For those who are using .108, how good is it?

Been using it continuously since my earlier update. I haven't experienced any issues so far. However, my configuration/usage is pretty basic. I do seem to be experiencing a somewhat better RSSI ( by a few points).

Last edited:
you have any issues w/ wifi stop broadcasting ur SSID?

Nope it was a DNS pass through from the DHCP server since I had DHCP with manual address set up on my mac and after the router restart it didn't pass it along properly due to the mapping I presume. I reset my mac to DHCP completely and boom done.

I would like to be able to specify more than a single freaking DNS entry for the DHCP pass-through on the router though, since work often requires internal DNS servers at clients which don't populate remotely. I've been having to override DNS locally a lot :p

Following up to my own report though, I am running into issues where the Apply button randomly stops working. Literally clicking it does nothing for a bit, then sometimes randomly works again. This is using FF Safari or Chrome from the same laptop

Got to say , after dealing with netgear , linksys and d-link Asus is great . Send an email and 10 minutes later a response , even on a holiday they respond next business day first thing and follow ups day after . Hope they keep it up , so far impressed !

Following up to my own report though, I am running into issues where the Apply button randomly stops working. Literally clicking it does nothing for a bit, then sometimes randomly works again. This is using FF Safari or Chrome from the same laptop

they may require "IE". ya ya i know IE sucks..... chrome for me :D

Is any one able to use the check function to upgrade firmware? Mine tells me there is no internet connection which there is. I'm able to manually upgrade.

Last edited:
i want wireless on from 9 (morning) to 01:00 night :D

it is very strange that i cant do this.

Howdy,
Will not work.
24 hours in a day, you want to overlap into the next day. NOPE, you do not have the capabilty to do that.

Like another said here, you could just set the schedule, and then use a different time zone off by one hour and you would get the results your looking for.

No Internet Connection Recognized?

I got my N66U Wednesday, that night I set it up and upgraded from the .90 software that come on it to the .102 that at that time was the newest. The next morning everything was fine, got a wireless connection on my phone. When I got home Thursday after work I noticed there had been a power outage because of storms but the routers power was on but I noticed I didn't have an internet connection. I unplugged the modem and router thinking they just needed restarting, but it didn't help.

Today I noticed the new firmware so I connected using the firmware restoration utility and manually installed .108 version, it found the router and successfully did the upgrade and restarted the router.

I then went through the initial guided router setup but it never found an internet connection after the step where it has you unplug your modem and then plug it back in. I also notice when my modem is plugged into the WAN port on the router but the the 'PC/Activity' light never lights up, I have a cable modem the model is Motorola Surfboard 5100.

When I run the 'Device Discovery' program it does show the default router information of: Device=RT-N66U, SSID=ASUS, IP Address 192.168.1.1, Subnet Mask=255.255.255.0

Also my wired connection for ipconfig /all returns:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 10-1F-74-58-2C-D5
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.233(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : March 09, 2012 8:20:04 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : March 10, 2012 8:33:58 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

As soon as I unplug the ethernet cable from the router WAN port and plug it into my laptop the modem light PC/ACTIVITY light begins blinking and I have internet access again through that wired connection.

Does my router have a problem or am I just doing something stupid???

Thanks for any help.

Is any one able to use the check function to upgrade firmware? Mine tells me there is no internet connection which there is. I'm able to manually upgrade.

mine as well , since 102 , same with 108

I got my N66U Wednesday, that night I set it up and upgraded from the .90 software that come on it to the .102 that at that time was the newest. The next morning everything was fine, got a wireless connection on my phone. When I got home Thursday after work I noticed there had been a power outage because of storms but the routers power was on but I noticed I didn't have an internet connection. I unplugged the modem and router thinking they just needed restarting, but it didn't help.

Today I noticed the new firmware so I connected using the firmware restoration utility and manually installed .108 version, it found the router and successfully did the upgrade and restarted the router.

I then went through the initial guided router setup but it never found an internet connection after the step where it has you unplug your modem and then plug it back in. I also notice when my modem is plugged into the WAN port on the router but the the 'PC/Activity' light never lights up, I have a cable modem the model is Motorola Surfboard 5100.

When I run the 'Device Discovery' program it does show the default router information of: Device=RT-N66U, SSID=ASUS, IP Address 192.168.1.1, Subnet Mask=255.255.255.0

Also my wired connection for ipconfig /all returns:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 10-1F-74-58-2C-D5
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.233(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : March 09, 2012 8:20:04 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : March 10, 2012 8:33:58 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

As soon as I unplug the ethernet cable from the router WAN port and plug it into my laptop the modem light PC/ACTIVITY light begins blinking and I have internet access again through that wired connection.

Does my router have a problem or am I just doing something stupid???

Thanks for any help.

Sounds like your wan port on the router went bad because you move the cable from the modem to your pc and got internet. Does the wan port on the router lit up when it was connected to the modem?

Sounds like your wan port on the router went bad because you move the cable from the modem to your pc and got internet. Does the wan port on the router lit up when it was connected to the modem?

The blue WAN port light on the front is lit up, but it stays on when I unplug the cable from the WAN port, it even stays on when I turn the router off and back on with the nothing ever being plugged into the WAN port. Basically my WAN port and power light, do the same thing always on when the powers on :)

Well I'll be sending it back, thank for the help. I figured it was the router just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something simple.

For me that the "check" button for finding new firmware isn't working is fine. I proactively go after firmware download, only after reading what's fixed, and hearing what other people's experiences are. And I download the firmware file onto my computer, and upgrade it from there when I'm ready. If things are working well for me, and there's nothing fixed that I care about, no reason to take the risk of upgrading firmware.

So I didn't even notice that this wasn't working *smile*. I've never used those facilities anyways.

Howdy,
Will not work.
24 hours in a day, you want to overlap into the next day. NOPE, you do not have the capabilty to do that.

Like another said here, you could just set the schedule, and then use a different time zone off by one hour and you would get the results your looking for.

thanks! but this is weird, because every cheaper router can do this.

I agree with the positive comments about .108, but I'd like to widen a bit the bug list with two problems that I think are present since start.

- SMB client: does not accept, at least in the password field special characters, so, if you have used one of them for the router password, you can't access your shares with the admin account but are forced toi create a new account with a "legal"password.

- DownloadMaster: The torrent client is a quite old version of Transmission (2.21, while 2.5 is already out). The problem is that if you power cycle the router and check via telnet the amount of free ram you see that only 1/4 of memory is used (the effective amount depends on the number of torrents that you are seeding), but if you add even one torrent the memory occupation rises to 98%, leaving around 7K of memory free, and this does not change until you power cycle the router, no matter if you are downloading or just seeding.

I guess I will deepen a bit the matter and then report directly to Asus,.

In the meanwhile, did anybody else notice such problems?

AndreaS

Status
Not open for further replies.