What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
SD-Card support

UPDATE
I finally got it open, all it took was a lil more brute force then I felt comfortable with.
I would say that a pryer is quite needed opening this baby up, if you want to keep your nails unbroken.
Maybe it was just the first time, I get a feeling it will be easier next time when the plastic handles have soften some.
The lid is connected to the base hooks in eight places as I try to illustrate below. lol
_...._...._

!...........!
_...._...._
(must use dots instead of space)

I started with a pryer on the front middle one and worked my way to the right corner and all the way around.
Now back to the fun installing the card :)

UPDATE 2
Added a 16GB "Samsung Class 10 Plus" card and it works great, quite fast too.

Multi Flash Reader
Partition 'sda1' ext3 (14.83 GB / 14.66 GB free) is mounted on /tmp/mnt/sda1

Hello, is this a microSD-Card or a normal SD-Card slot?
The stock firmware from asus still doesn't support this feature? Or appears it as a device like with tomato-fw?

What were your steps to updating your router with the latest firmware?

I did a manual download from http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...B1)&p=11&s=2
Then:

Selected OS: Others /Firmware/Version 3.0.0.3.108/Download from Global
Downloaded firmware file to my iMac ( used Open with command "Archive Utility" which extracts the file to my downloads folder
Selected Firmware Version at the top of the Asus UI Network Map page
Selected Browse tab next to New Firmware File
Located the extracted file RT-N66U_3.0.0.3_108.trx in my downloads folder and then
Selected Upload

Everything else is automatic from there--took a few minutes to load and for the router to reboot.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:
i want wireless on from 9 (morning) to 01:00 night :D

it is very strange that i cant do this.

Howdy,
Will not work.
24 hours in a day, you want to overlap into the next day. NOPE, you do not have the capabilty to do that.

Like another said here, you could just set the schedule, and then use a different time zone off by one hour and you would get the results your looking for.

The timezone trick is indeed the only known workaround for now for users who in effect want wireless enabled during TWO time ranges per day.

Ideally, so users do not need to use the workaround noted above, Asus would enhance this feature to allow users to enter multiple time ranges per day (within reason, e.g. 4 ranges per day) during which they want wireless enabled.

If Asus did implement this, angelsanges could then set TWO time ranges during which wireless was to be enabled in order to accomplish his goal, without having to switch to the next time zone over:
1. Midnight (0000) to 1 AM (0100)
2. 9 AM (0900) to midnight (0000).

Just in case I need to..

How do you roll back to a previous firmware version? Do you just manually reload a previous firmware version from the Asus download page? Or is there some function ( I can't find ) in the Asus UI ?

Just in case I need to..

How do you roll back to a previous firmware version? Do you just manually reload a previous firmware version from the Asus download page? Or is there some function ( I can't find ) in the Asus UI ?

Just reload an older fw via same process...

Hope this helps.

G37x

Is any one able to use the check function to upgrade firmware? Mine tells me there is no internet connection which there is. I'm able to manually upgrade.

This function hasn't worked for me in v .90, .96 or now .108. I also noticed issues with the Client Status and Refresh function on the Network Map page since v.90 --but this never worked 100% on my Asus RT-N56U either.

Hello, is this a microSD-Card or a normal SD-Card slot?
The stock firmware from asus still doesn't support this feature? Or appears it as a device like with tomato-fw?

Asus firmware does not have support for the internal microsd slot.Tomato does have support. Not sure why they left it there? Maybe for future use , or they never remove it when they demoed it back in CES.

Asus firmware does not have support for the internal microsd slot.Tomato does have support. Not sure why they left it there? Maybe for future use , or they never remove it when they demoed it back in CES.

I think it is for future hw revision. I don't see Asus asking its customers to open their router to add memory.

Howdy,
It might have been future thinking, and the boards were passed by FCC and they could not make a revision without re-applying for FCC approval. It was probably easier to just leave it on the board and not make use of it. If they removed it, it could have delayed this router another 8-10 months, because they would have to redo the whole FCC approval process.

What benefit would I get out of using the internal microsd slot ( since it seems Tomato is able to make use of it) ?

is any one else having a problem where you load a static ip then not being able to ping it from the outside ? getting a ip with dhcp and allow pings works but not static at least for me

is any one else having a problem where you load a static ip then not being able to ping it from the outside ? getting a ip with dhcp and allow pings works but not static at least for me

I do not have this issue but I restored defaults then put all my config parameters back in after flashing 108.

Im currently having an issue where my wireless pc is not getting my full internet connection speed. Its an asus n15 wireless pci card in my desktop.

I have a 50mbit internet connection and I get that via speed tests on all my wired pcs, and for some strange reason my wireless (which is connected at 145mbps, full signal) is only getting 20mbit speed tests.

What do you think could be causing this? I got full 50 when using my Linksys E4200, and that was connected at 65mbps and 3 signal bars.

Thanks

Im currently having an issue where my wireless pc is not getting my full internet connection speed. Its an asus n15 wireless pci card in my desktop.

I have a 50mbit internet connection and I get that via speed tests on all my wired pcs, and for some strange reason my wireless (which is connected at 145mbps, full signal) is only getting 20mbit speed tests.

What do you think could be causing this? I got full 50 when using my Linksys E4200, and that was connected at 65mbps and 3 signal bars.

Thanks

Hi i have a 64Mbit internet connection have you QOS enebeld ?
I have full speed white the einstllungen

Attachments

• o1.jpg
    o1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 532

Thanks

The link below is for the e4200 V2 and other Linksys models however, includes some interesting wireless router performance tips--which may give you some ideas to try with the N66U:

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.a..._of_Common_Issues_with_Wireless_N_Routers.xml

E.g., After reading this article I cleared the memory on my N56U and that seemed to help the overall wireless performance.

Last edited:
.108 is not stable for me. Just wondering what WPA Encryption method are you guys using. I been using wpa2 aes and after 12 or more hours the router tends to reboot and wifi is dropped. So I'm gonna try wpa auto-personal with TKIP/AES and see that solves the issue.

.108 is not stable for me. Just wondering what WPA Encryption method are you guys using. I been using wpa2 aes and after 12 or more hours the router tends to reboot and wifi is dropped. So I'm gonna try wpa auto-personal with TKIP/AES and see that solves the issue.

This on 2.4 or 5 GHz?

Did you reset router defaults and re-enter configuration after upgrade?

Changes in this firmware seem to dictate that you need to start fresh with configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.