What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to check back in to tell everyone that I just got a new RT-N66U via the RMA process. There wasn't any explanation of why the original router failed completely, but the RMA process took all of two weeks, from the day that I dropped the old router off at FedEx.

Put 108 on it and no problems so far. Now, I'm trying to decide whether to wait a bit or put Tomato USB on it. It's a good thing that I waited with the first router, before replacing the stock firmware.

Firmware check is working. I just had it reflash 108. I kicked it off from my smartphone (Galaxy Nexus).

It gives you no indication of what version is available and it prompts you to flash it even if your installed firmware is the same version of the available one but I'll take it. That is certainly a step in the right direction.

I'd set up three of these RT-N66U's in different houses. Wish I could link them via router-to-router VPN?

As it is now each router has PPTP server activated, but each individual computers in each house has to make separate PPTP client connections...

Firmware check is working. I just had it reflash 108. I kicked it off from my smartphone (Galaxy Nexus).

It gives you no indication of what version is available and it prompts you to flash it even if your installed firmware is the same version of the available one but I'll take it. That is certainly a step in the right direction.

Confirmed here also. Funny I haven't changed anything it just started magically working..

Confirmed here also. Funny I haven't changed anything it just started magically working..

Same here. I'm betting a gateway / script on Asus's servers hadn't been brought up or opened for access prior ;) Though the repeated version is odd, I wish the information box popping up would say what version number is available directly.

Same here. I'm betting a gateway / script on Asus's servers hadn't been brought up or opened for access prior ;) Though the repeated version is odd, I wish the information box popping up would say what version number is available directly.

Agree with you man.

Did more tests and WOL does work inside the LAN. From WAN, no go.
Its my understanding most consumer grade routers do not allow WOL from WAN. My old D-link (dir-655) did with old firmware, but they closed that gap after. Tomato seems to have it, i may end up switching for that reason.

Its my understanding most consumer grade routers do not allow WOL from WAN. My old D-link (dir-655) did with old firmware, but they closed that gap after. Tomato seems to have it, i may end up switching for that reason.

My E4200 can do WOL from WAN with newest firmware...not old at all.

My E4200 can do WOL from WAN with newest firmware...not old at all.
From another post here on SmallNet, this reason why most don't allow it.

"Most consumer routers do not allow "ip directed broadcast" which is what is required for you to send a broadcast packet from the WAN side to the LAN side - this is a security issue and a potential attack vector that can be used to hack systems on the inside of the LAN as well as to use those systems in denial of service attacks (smurf attacks) on other targets."

Anybody know how to turn to the repeater mode for n66u?
It can't be the WDS, because it needs both routers in the bridge to contain the function of WDS.
My main router which connected to modemn doed not have the WDS.

On the operational mode interface of n66u, it just proves two modes to choose which are wireless router mode and ap mode.
In some situation when the connecting condition is very bad between the PC and router, when I click the "operation mode", it actually does show a interface that provides all 3 modes to choose.
And then, the page immediately turns into the 2-mode interface.

The page on the asus official site says the router will provide 3 modes including repeater.

Any one know what is the true way to open this function?

Would you kindly share how this can be done? TIA.

Go to Adminstration>System in the web UI. For Remote Log Server you'll enter the IP address of a machine that is listening for such logs. Make sure to Apply when you've entered it. This process enables a remote log server and also sends klogd(kernel) messages to that remote server.

Once you've completed that you're gonna want to head over to Firewall>General. For "Logged packets type" select whatever your preference is (besides None, of course). Again, make sure to Apply this new setting. This process sends syslogd(in this case, network traffic) messages to the remote server you defined earlier. So...inbound/outbound passed/blocked traffic.

Make sure the remote server you defined is listening on port 513.

From another post here on SmallNet, this reason why most don't allow it.

"Most consumer routers do not allow "ip directed broadcast" which is what is required for you to send a broadcast packet from the WAN side to the LAN side - this is a security issue and a potential attack vector that can be used to hack systems on the inside of the LAN as well as to use those systems in denial of service attacks (smurf attacks) on other targets."

I agree, but we should have the option if we want it. I'm not using the broadcast IP (x.x.x.255) anyway's...I'm actually port forwarding directly to the pc I want to wake up. Either way, support is looking into it and https option (another thing I asked for) will be added in the second quarter of this year.

.108 acting wierd

Hey guys,

I am new here. Just got my N66u a couple of days backed. Firmware was .76 then upgraded to .96 and just upgraded to .108 yesterday.

In .96 my USB on the router lit up and in GUI the printer logo on the top right also shows green. But printer cannot connect to PC.

After i upgraded to .108, USB lit up but in the GUI the printer logo on the op right shows no printer connected. But on the connected devices at the main page shows my printer connected. Currently printed is allowed to print. But my windows OS cannot sense the printer from router.

Using a windows 7 ultimate 64 bit on my G73 with a Canon MX357.

Anyone able to help? Thanks.

Hey guys,

I am new here. Just got my N66u a couple of days backed. Firmware was .76 then upgraded to .96 and just upgraded to .108 yesterday.

In .96 my USB on the router lit up and in GUI the printer logo on the top right also shows green. But printer cannot connect to PC.

After i upgraded to .108, USB lit up but in the GUI the printer logo on the op right shows no printer connected. But on the connected devices at the main page shows my printer connected. Currently printed is allowed to print. But my windows OS cannot sense the printer from router.

Using a windows 7 ultimate 64 bit on my G73 with a Canon MX357.

Anyone able to help? Thanks.

Howdy,
It sounds like you need to totally reset the router and key all the settings back in. It sounds like some things did not move into the new firmware as nicely as it should.

Howdy,
It sounds like you need to totally reset the router and key all the settings back in. It sounds like some things did not move into the new firmware as nicely as it should.

Which means to say i restore factory settings and then re-enter in all the details?

I'm on stock firmware 108 and when i check for new firmware on the router it says there is one but does not say what version no new firmware displayed on asus.com either anyone else with this predicament?

Is there a way to see what websites people visit that are on my wireless network? I am sharing my connection with some people in our building and would like to monitor.

Logfiles work fine in combination with my remote syslog server but they do not show which websites people've visited.

Status
Not open for further replies.