What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I was thinking in the General Wireless forum of snb. If you think it'll get more attention over there so be it.

-Edit- I see that forum is for Tomato on Linksys devices. Are you sure the mods over there will keep it open?

Just posted on linksys forum stating running shibby's stable for over a month.

though, would you or darksamus mind starting a "Tomato on rt-n66u" thread? It would be wise if this thread was limited to discussion by n66u owners running stock firmware. There's bound to be a bit of crossover but there is definitely a need for multiple threads.
You can start this here in the new ASUS subforum I just created in Wireless Networking.

I think I may wait till the official release of firmware version 100 to flash my router with the update.
I did download it but may wait to actually update the router (I'll decide over the weekend).

I just purchased a second RT-N66U as a back up.
I hesitated since this type of gear typically lasts for years, but I did not want to have it break down after it is eventually discontinued and be kicking myself. I did at least use a coupon code to make it more affordable.

I am not worried about the upcoming 802.11ac devices since the new technology will not give me anything special since I am very happy with 2.4 GHz (especially for long range peformance of course) and do not find myself using 5GHz much.
2.4 GHz has been stable and performed fine.

I guess if I ever move to a form of residence where neighbors (samnd hence neighboring networks) are closer, I might experience more issues with interference and be more interested in 5 GHz.
That being said, my wifi adapter is pretty good and does see about 20 networks as it is (most of them are weak though, likely reducing the chance of interference).

How are others finding xxxxx96 / xxxxx100 wifi performance versus performance when using firmware xxxxx90?
I still think my wifi performance was a bit better with xxxxx90...
I will play around a bit with it tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited:
*.102 coming next week

Hello,

I received the following note from ASUS:
I am contacting you to inform that firmware 3.0.0.3.102 will be out next week. This should resolve the instability you experienced from updating.

It looks like they will be specifically addressing the issues we had with updating. I asked for a direct link if he had one but no response yet. Anyways, I am quite happy with ASUS customer service :).

Romain

From the Asus Vip support the new FW 102 received, who would like to have it

Hallo Leute

Hab vom Asus Vip support die Neue FW 102 erhalten , wer sie haben möchte www.mydrive.ch

User :rtn66u@bigmag
Pss:rtn66u
der zugang bleibt 24 Stunden offen

Last edited:

Hallo Leute

Hab vom Asus Vip support die Neue FW 102 erhalten , wer sie haben möchte www.mydrive.ch

Giving this a try right now...

Just got my N66U today and after some testing, ping times while online gaming are almost twice as much as when connecting to the same server through my Linksys E4200V2. Any idea why that is??

her is it now

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 440
.102 firmware fixes what issue and adds anything new?

No I hab not Infome of the fixes, the IP for Statik IPs is ok

IT Power on at 4 Stunden No Probs

Hallo Leute

Great Thanks!! now i don`t have to wait until next week and having something to test this weekend. :) i belive that the .102 adresses the dhcp bug of not being able to add mor than 4 ipadresses. the .100 wasn`t so usable if you were going to config the router from scratch.

Last edited:
Just got my N66U today and after some testing, ping times while online gaming are almost twice as much as when connecting to the same server through my Linksys E4200V2. Any idea why that is??

Which firmware (and special settings, if any) are you using?
I felt that version xxxxx90 (as opposed to 96) performed best for me so far, but I need to do more testing this weekend, time permitting, to properly validate my initial findings.

Last edited:
I'm using the .102 now.
I believe the problem was I had jumbo packets enabled on my gaming machine. Turned it off and now everything is groovy.

Status
Not open for further replies.