What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else having problems with Download Master in FW 108? If I just format my drive, then install Download Master default version (2.1.something) I can get to the Download Master screen at port 8081. However, if I upgrade to the latest version of Download Master (2.99.something) I get a "page not found" every time :(

After this, even removing Download Master and then re-installing it does not work. I actually have to format the drive itself and then reinstall Download Master before it will work again and I absolutely cannot upgrade it otherwise it just breaks once again...

Is anyone else having problems with Download Master in FW 108? If I just format my drive, then install Download Master default version (2.1.something) I can get to the Download Master screen at port 8081. However, if I upgrade to the latest version of Download Master (2.99.something) I get a "page not found" every time :(

After this, even removing Download Master and then re-installing it does not work. I actually have to format the drive itself and then reinstall Download Master before it will work again and I absolutely cannot upgrade it otherwise it just breaks once again...

No It works for me.
I first upgraded to latest version and then installed downloadmaster to disk.
You can try to uninstall downloadmaster, format the disk (ext3 in my case), just to eliminate the traces of the previous installations, then upgrade and then reinstall download master.
Ah, don't know if it is needed, but I labelled my disk as optware.

Did anybody try to install any of the optware programs that is possible to list through the ipkg list command from telnet?

No It works for me.
I first upgraded to latest version and then installed downloadmaster to disk.
You can try to uninstall downloadmaster, format the disk (ext3 in my case), just to eliminate the traces of the previous installations, then upgrade and then reinstall download master.
Ah, don't know if it is needed, but I labelled my disk as optware.

Did anybody try to install any of the optware programs that is possible to list through the ipkg list command from telnet?
When you say "upgraded", are you talking about upgrade of Download Master or the router firmware? If you are talking about Download Master I am not sure how you are upgrading it before installing when the only option that I get is "Install" and I only get upgrade after it is already installed.

Can you tell me which version of Download Master you are running? You can see the version by going to USB application and looking beside the name Download Master...

My RT-N66U is on my desk and on Tuesday the Comcast installer is scheduled to run the cable to our house and hook us up. I’ve already connected to the router via my browser, flashed to 108 and performed a bit of configuring. I’ve also read Tim’s review and this thread.

Our soon-to-be-unhooked DSL router is a Westell VersaLink 327W. That router has a firewall that lets me specify one set of port rules (allow/deny) for outbound packets and another set of port rules for inbound packets.

1. Does the firewall in the RT-N66U only apply port rules to inbound packets? I cannot find any firewall-related reference to outbound packets.

Assuming that the port rules only apply to inbound packets, I realize that I can specify all ip addresses by entering 0.0.0.0 as the ‘source’ ip.
2. What do I enter in the ‘destination’ field to specify all my devices?

If I open certain ports with a whitelist, then I assume all other ports are blocked.
3. Is that assumption correct?

When you say "upgraded", are you talking about upgrade of Download Master or the router firmware? If you are talking about Download Master I am not sure how you are upgrading it before installing when the only option that I get is "Install" and I only get upgrade after it is already installed.

Can you tell me which version of Download Master you are running? You can see the version by going to USB application and looking beside the name Download Master...

It's 2.99 something. I don't remember well but there is a possibility that I did the installation when I had still firmware .96 installed.
In any case download master needs some improvements: I just use the torrent client (it's an old version of transmission, the 2.21, which can be managed even with transmission remote from the pc), but, while after installation the memory occupation is just below 64K, if you just add one torrent the memory occupation rises to nearly 256k leaving only 7k or less of memory free. Up to now I didn't observe any malfunction related to this behavior, but I suppose that in case of heavy loads some problems may arise.
I pointed out this to asus support a couple of weeks ago but I got no return mail from the technical guys, just a mail from the customer quality support telling me that they didn't forget my problem (something that in any case I did appreciate).

If you still have problems you can even try to install the specific applications you need from optware, but I didn't check if the optware support is present from scratch or only after the installation of downloadmaster, as the ipkg.conf file that contains the references to the optware repositories resides on the external disk.

How do you enable DNLA service on the N66U stock ver. 108 ? Is the Download Master a requirement for DNLA service and if so Is there a quick reference link some where? I tried to use this service yesterday to stream photos from my PC to TV as I have always been able to do with my last few routers but was unable to do so and I couldn't even find anything in the stock UI to enable this service. However after searching this forum I see that there are issues with DNLA--so not sure what to expect.

Last edited:
How do you enable DNLA service on the N66U stock ver. 108 ? Is the Download Master a requirement for DNLA service and if so Is there a quick reference link some where? I tried to use this service yesterday to stream photos from my PC to TV as I have always been able to do with my last few routers but was unable to do so and I couldn't even find anything in the stock UI to enable this service. However after searching this forum I see that there are issues with DNLA--so not sure what to expect.

Look under "USB TOOLS", you should be able to find setting for DLNA and UPnp.

Look under "USB TOOLS", you should be able to find setting for DLNA and UPnp.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. DNLA doesn't seem to be working as I believe others have already commented about. But at least I now know where to go once the DNLA function becomes available.

This is a followup to my earlier post on firewall filter tables. I have always thought that one key purpose of a router was to monitor incoming packets against a whitelist of ports. Incoming packets addressed to a port on the whitelist would be passed into the LAN and other packets would be dropped. In this manner the router protected devices on the LAN from the constant attacks that roam the internet.

I cannot find anyplace in firmware 108 where I can tell the modem to screen incoming packets against a whitelist of ports. If I am correct that this modem does not presently have such a feature, then that is a significant shortcoming that should be specifically stated in reviews.

Below is a recap of the conflicting statements in firmware 108.

If you click Firewall ==> Network Services Filter, then you see this description:
"The Network Services filter blocks the LAN to WAN packet exchanges and restricts devices from using specific network services. For example, if you do not want the device to use the Internet service, key in 80 in the destination port. The traffic that uses port 80 will be blocked. Leave the source IP/MAC field blank to apply this rule to all LAN devices."

The phase “LAN to WAN” sounds like the modem will only filter outgoing packets.

Further down the page there is a line:
Enable LAN to WAN filter? Yes No
If you click the first part of that line it says:
“Select [Yes] to enable filter that specify IP or port for controlling incoming and outgoing packets”

That language specifically refers to packets going both ways.

Finally, a bit further down on the page is a section where you can specify a “LAN to WAN Filter Table”. Again, that phrase sounds like outgoing packets only.

I cannot find any place where I can specify a WAN to LAN filter table.

Can anyone shed light?

I just received my RT-N66U the other day, and I have been experiencing a lot of wifi issues:

• Some of my wireless PCs occasionally refuses to connect to the main 2.4 network, as well as one of the guest, but will connect to another guest. I know the passwords provided are correct. I have inconsistent drop outs and refusing to reconnect to these SSID's, and it seems to be inconsistent across machines.
  • Streaming media from my server to my xbox is very unstable. Sometimes it won't even start the stream, sometimes it will, but stalls shortly after.
  • PCs on wifi appear only to be able to download <100kBps. I have a 26mbps connection to the internet. My wired PCs are performing fine.
  • The download master returns a page cannot found when trying to connect
  • It does not appear that port forwarding is working properly on 108 for my setup when I attempted to check via my cell phone.

I have had similar issues with both the default *.96 firmware as well as the 108 firmware. I have the 2.4 locked on channel 1, and in 20mhz mode.

Any thoughts? Starting to suspect I got a bad one...

I just received my RT-N66U the other day, and I have been experiencing a lot of wifi issues:

• Some of my wireless PCs occasionally refuses to connect to the main 2.4 network, as well as one of the guest, but will connect to another guest. I know the passwords provided are correct. I have inconsistent drop outs and refusing to reconnect to these SSID's, and it seems to be inconsistent across machines.
  • Streaming media from my server to my xbox is very unstable. Sometimes it won't even start the stream, sometimes it will, but stalls shortly after.
  • PCs on wifi appear only to be able to download <100kBps. I have a 26mbps connection to the internet. My wired PCs are performing fine.
  • It does not appear that port forwarding is working properly on 108 for my setup when I attempted to check via my cell phone.

I have had similar issues with both the default *.96 firmware as well as the 108 firmware. I have the 2.4 locked on channel 1, and in 20mhz mode.

Try tomato and see if you still have problems. I've had zero issues thus far...

http://www.4shared.com/get/DFrQmp2G/tomato-K26USB-12804962MIPSR2-T.html

It could be bad, but it could also be a conflict (try a different wifi adapter), interference from neighboring networks (especially since you locked it in on a single channel) or another hardware or software conflict in your system (which can be hard to identify).
You could check Event Viewer and look for log entries at the times the disconnects are occurring.

I am using it on Auto channel. It selected channel 1 which, as per my wifi client utility. The strongest neighboring networks are -72 and -76 dBm on channels 6 and 1 respectively, whereas my signal is currently -31 dBm.
In playing online for hours earlier today, using a Rosewill USB 802.11n wifi adapter hooked up to a Windows 7 64-bit laptop, I have not had a single disconnect. In fact I don't believe it has disconnected since I got the router

If changing the channel mode to 'Auto' does not help in your case
, you could bring the router to a friend or relative's house and test it out with different gear to rule out your settings and / or wifi client hardware as a cause.

Aside from your channel selection (which you noted), what bandwidth setting are you using 20 MHz, 40 MHz or Auto?

This is a followup to my earlier post on firewall filter tables. I have always thought that one key purpose of a router was to monitor incoming packets against a whitelist of ports. Incoming packets addressed to a port on the whitelist would be passed into the LAN and other packets would be dropped. In this manner the router protected devices on the LAN from the constant attacks that roam the internet.

I cannot find anyplace in firmware 108 where I can tell the modem to screen incoming packets against a whitelist of ports. If I am correct that this modem does not presently have such a feature, then that is a significant shortcoming that should be specifically stated in reviews.

Below is a recap of the conflicting statements in firmware 108.

If you click Firewall ==> Network Services Filter, then you see this description:
"The Network Services filter blocks the LAN to WAN packet exchanges and restricts devices from using specific network services. For example, if you do not want the device to use the Internet service, key in 80 in the destination port. The traffic that uses port 80 will be blocked. Leave the source IP/MAC field blank to apply this rule to all LAN devices."

The phase “LAN to WAN” sounds like the modem will only filter outgoing packets.

Further down the page there is a line:
Enable LAN to WAN filter? Yes No
If you click the first part of that line it says:
“Select [Yes] to enable filter that specify IP or port for controlling incoming and outgoing packets”

That language specifically refers to packets going both ways.

Finally, a bit further down on the page is a section where you can specify a “LAN to WAN Filter Table”. Again, that phrase sounds like outgoing packets only.

I cannot find any place where I can specify a WAN to LAN filter table.

Can anyone shed light?

Hi lets se if i can help you.
First incomming packages: All packets sent to this router is blocked if a port isn`t set in the wan->virutal server/portforwarding. In the manor of NAT. You can see what ports are open under system log->portforwarding. There is also upnp under wan tab, If you turn it on, A program on your computer can open a port auto at it`s own will. And will let packets thru on the port the program has opened.
To futher stop attacks you can activate DoS protection under the firewall tab. Futher You can also leave a computer exposed on all ports to the internet by setting it under Wan->DMZ
Secondly outgoing packets: Under Firewall->networking service filters tab you can set outgoing filters to stop specific outgoing packets on specific ports from accessing the wan in the mannor och whitelist och blacklist type. and set a timeframe. Another way is to completly stop a computer to access the wan during a timeframe is under the parent control tab.
I hope this helps BR Mrcom

Last edited:
Aside from your channel selection (which you noted), what bandwidth setting are you using 20 MHz, 40 MHz or Auto?

I put it on Auto, and then it decided to take channel 11, which is the same as another router a foot from it...

My bandwidth setting is 20MHz.

I put it on Auto, and then it decided to take channel 11, which is the same as another router a foot from it...

My bandwidth setting is 20MHz.

Don't use Auto. Choose a channel manually, between 1, 6, and 11, with the least competing wifi traffic. Make sure you're viewing the traffic from within Inssider while seated at the place you primarily use your wifi devices. You don't want to sample wifi traffic next to your router unless that's where you primarily use your wifi devices. Use the 20Hz bandwidth setting and use WPA2+AES if possible.

1. Never leave it on Auto..I have had nightmares doing this, my logitech mouse solar keyboard etc all failed. Pick manually a channel and experience with it.
2. Wireless Mode Auto
3. Control Channel Auto
4. Channel bandwidth: 40Mhz
5. Extension Channel: Auto
6. Authentication Method: WPA2 personal
7. WPA Encryption: AES

This should be the best 4u try it.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. DNLA doesn't seem to be working as I believe others have already commented about. But at least I now know where to go once the DNLA function becomes available.

Both DLNA and itunes server work. I use both every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.