What's new

asus stock firmware (GT-AX6000) - limit max bandwidth for the openVPN server's clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

simaka

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I am using ASUS Merlin on my RT-AC86U to access a openVPN server of a friend's GT-AX6000 (stock firmware) in another country. All works good, speed and latency are great.

However, I'd like to avoid suffocating his upload channel (~50mbps), although it's unlikely as it is to happen. I'd like to set traffic shaping that allows a max of e.g. 30mbps. Ideally, I want to do it at his (server) side, so that regardless what and where from I am connecting, the traffic I as a client can consume never goes over the defined limit.

We had a quick remote session to take a look at his router's QoS settings, but there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to do it.

Does anyone have an idea how to do this? Maybe look at the local VPN interface's NW (10.x.x.x) and try to limit the bandwidth for the whole network somehow? Or there is some other way to identify all the vpn server traffic?

Thx a lot for any tips.

I don't believe this can be done on the router.

This would be up to you as to what websites you connect to, and the actual use cases of those sites.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!