What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.266.23b is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for the reply, I noticed when I run df -k, it shows " /tmp/mnt/USBSTICK" instead of what you suggested, should I stay away from using that? (plugged into bottom usb)

Some filesystems will use the volume name (like USBSTICK) instead of the device name (like sda1). In your case, you'll want to use /mnt/USBSTICK/ (don't forget the trailing slash) probably.

Awesome as always,

Puny feature request (Show that mac address on Traffic Monitor - per device pages)

Thanks agian rmerlin, made the past few days of getting this network in my house setup a bit easier.

Hi rmerlin, i just upgraded my AC66u yesterday to this version.
Everything runs fine but when i go to the Run Cmd page and type 'ntp' it hangs the whole gui.
Now i can't relogin or go to some other page but the router is still working.
I guess i have to hard reboot it once i get home tonight.

Do you have this problem as well?

Using latest Chrome on Win7.

Actually I waited more than 30-60 seconds without anything happening on the web-gui. I ended in rescue mode with the power led blinking happily to me...
What I should have gotten and what I got seems to be two separate things.

Asus reduced the reboot delay on the Firmware upgrade page, and apparently reduced it too much on the RT-AC66U, so you end up seeing the miniWEB page as the delay expires and the webpage reloads itself. If you wait 30-60 more seconds, the router will actually finish booting, and you should access once again the regular UI.

I was on Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.266.23 and tried updating to 23b version but after pressing apply nothing happend, so I put it to rescue mode and used asus restoration firmware and after 1 minute I get an error, something about loosed connection to the router.
I tried to clear nvram with this method or by pressing reset button and poweron router. Asus restoration firmware and device descovery didn't find my router even if I set my ip to static. Than I see the router responding to ping 192.168.1.1 and I followed this steps here and flashed dd-wrt.v24-18702_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U.trx instead of dd-wrt-v24_mini_asus.trx.
Now I can't put the router anymore in rescue mode, instead if I press wps button and poweron than all led are blinking normaly, the 2.4 and 5ghz too, at a certain moment I've seen dd-wrt in my wi-fi list but can't connect to that network, now it's not showing anymore.
Maybe has something to do with bootloader 1.0.1.3?
There is any other method to go rescue mode?

Last edited:
@THX
I think you choose BS build that doesn't support 64k to RT-N66U only Fractal special build working, HERE.
Look at DD-WRT board I think other has same problem as you.

Octopus

Hmmm....just joined the Merlin bandwagon and note that upgrading from 22 to 23B does not show 23B - just 23 on the RTN66U GUI in both IE10 and FF 17.01 even after refreshing browser. The file downloaded and used is labeled: RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_266.23b.trx

I was on Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.266.23 and tried updating to 23b version but after pressing apply nothing happend, so I put it to rescue mode and used asus restoration firmware and after 1 minute I get an error, something about loosed connection to the router.
I tried to clear nvram with this method or by pressing reset button and poweron router. Asus restoration firmware and device descovery didn't find my router even if I set my ip to static. Than I see the router responding to ping 192.168.1.1 and I followed this steps here and flashed dd-wrt.v24-18702_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U.trx instead of dd-wrt-v24_mini_asus.trx.
Now I can't put the router anymore in rescue mode, instead if I press wps button and poweron than all led are blinking normaly, the 2.4 and 5ghz too, at a certain moment I've seen dd-wrt in my wi-fi list but can't connect to that network, now it's not showing anymore.
Maybe has something to do with bootloader 1.0.1.3?
There is any other method to go rescue mode?

I did it finaly by powering off router, pressing booth wps and reset buttons than poweron, router started with power led blinking and with this command in cmd: tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_266.23b.trx
I waited 10 minutes and rebooted manually.
For some reason with asus firmware recovery didn't worked.
Now it works normally, thx GOOD.

I just signed up to the forum to thank you for making this firmware Merlin. It is most excellent on my AC66U and has corrected many abnormal issues I had with the stock firmware on this router.

Awesome as always,

Puny feature request (Show that mac address on Traffic Monitor - per device pages)

Thanks agian rmerlin, made the past few days of getting this network in my house setup a bit easier.

I can't. Iptables's tracking module only tracks IPs, not MACs. So, there is no historical data linked MACs. I can't assume that the stored data that refers to a given IP at a certain will be allocated to the same MACs all the time, so the reported data would become incorrect.

The proper way to keep track of devices is to assign them static IPs with names, which will be used when displaying the list of devices.

Hi rmerlin, i just upgraded my AC66u yesterday to this version.
Everything runs fine but when i go to the Run Cmd page and type 'ntp' it hangs the whole gui.
Now i can't relogin or go to some other page but the router is still working.
I guess i have to hard reboot it once i get home tonight.

Do you have this problem as well?

Using latest Chrome on Win7.

Works for me, using Chrome.

Hmmm....just joined the Merlin bandwagon and note that upgrading from 22 to 23B does not show 23B - just 23 on the RTN66U GUI in both IE10 and FF 17.01 even after refreshing browser. The file downloaded and used is labeled: RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_266.23b.trx

That's normal. Asus's versionning system does not allow letters, so it will only show as 266.23.

I just signed up to the forum to thank you for making this firmware Merlin. It is most excellent on my AC66U and has corrected many abnormal issues I had with the stock firmware on this router.

Hello !
I would like to add my voice to the chorus.
Thank you so much for your efforts to make ASUS firmware really awesome.
My RT-N66U has been brought to a new life !

Best regards
Luca - Italy

Last edited:
Thx for this new build!

Your notes tell me "Per Device traffic monitoring will also disable HW acceleration."

I enabled monitoring but the HW acceleration is still on.
Do I need to manually disable this?

(LAN->switch control->Disable HW Accelerator is still No.)

Thx for this new build!

Your notes tell me "Per Device traffic monitoring will also disable HW acceleration."

I enabled monitoring but the HW acceleration is still on.
Do I need to manually disable this?

(LAN->switch control->Disable HW Accelerator is still No.)

That option is to force it to disabled, it's not an actual ON/OFF switch for it. What I do is I simply don't load the CTF kernel module - same way as if you had QoS enabled.

Can I load your .23b firmware through tomatousb's gui? or does it need to be in some kind of recovery mode?

One more thing, I have a micro-sd card inside the router to be use as a usb hard drive, can i use that with your firmware?

Last edited:
Can I load your .23b firmware through tomatousb's gui? or does it need to be in some kind of recovery mode?

No idea. Worth a try, since Asuswrt is actually forked from Tomato-RT.

One more thing, I have a micro-sd card inside the router to be use as a usb hard drive, can i use that with your firmware?

Yes, although it won't appear as a USB drive on the main page, but it will get mounted by the firmware, and be usable for things like Optware.

On tomatousb, i can point my openvpn keys to my internal micrco usb, can i do that with your firmware.... ie.. below

ca /mnt/sda/openvpn/server/ca.crt
dh /mnt/sda/openvpn/server/dh1024.pem
cert /mnt/sda/openvpn/server/Home-VPN-Server.crt
key /mnt/sda/openvpn/server/Home-VPN-Server.key

On tomatousb, i can point my openvpn keys to my internal micrco usb, can i do that with your firmware.... ie.. below

ca /mnt/sda/openvpn/server/ca.crt
dh /mnt/sda/openvpn/server/dh1024.pem
cert /mnt/sda/openvpn/server/Home-VPN-Server.crt
key /mnt/sda/openvpn/server/Home-VPN-Server.key

You probably could, but there is no need to. The key and certs are entered through the webui, and are stored in NVRAM.

I've just tried out 4.266.23b and realized my network throughput has reduced speeds.

For instance, before loading the firmware, I was able to get speeds approximately 20+mbps from speedtest.net. After updating the firmware, speed test shows around 12+ mbps.

Why has the speed reduced in all the devices I've tested?

** Note my devices and speedtests are only on 2.4ghz, WPA-Personal authentication method before & after the firmware upgrade. 5ghz has been disabled, transmit power & channel same as before upgrade **

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!