What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 Beta is available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if your issue may be related to another issue I encountered a few weeks ago on the GT-AXE16000, where enabling AiProtection (or Adaptive QoS) with an iptables rule setting a mark would also cause the router to reboot.

Without enabling AiProtection, can you see if you have any iptables rule that does a --set-mark? Check the output from these commands:

Code:
iptables -L -vn
iptables -t nat -L -vn
iptables -t mangle -L -vn

Not exactly sure what I'm looking for. Here are the results:

iptables -L -vn

iptables -t nat -L -vn

iptables -t mangle -L -vn

P.S. I'm off to bed. Will continue troubleshooting when I can.

Thank you for your help.

P.S. I'm off to bed. Will continue troubleshooting when I can.
Thanks, I'll have a look at them.

Can you tell me if you are using the 2.5 Gbps or a 10 Gbps WAN port?

2.5Gbps port for WAN.

2 computers with 2.5G ports using the 10G ports.

AT&T FIBER — INTERNET 2000
Ok thanks. Checking with Asus' engineers in case they might have an idea (it was one of their questions).

@RMerlin, thanks for fixing the networkmapping for the RT-AX68U. Clients and Bandwidth Monitor are working correctly. I compiled with RMerlin's recent github updates. The router is working like it should. Yay.

Last edited:
2.5Gbps port for WAN.

2 computers with 2.5G ports using the 10G ports.

AT&T FIBER — INTERNET 2000
If your router gets in a boot loop, try unplugging the WAN and see if you are able to let it boot properly without having to reset it. If it does, it might at least let you re-disable AiProtection before you plug it back.

Here are a few tests to try tomorrow (based on their feedback).

1) Try enabling Bandwidth Monitor only (not AiProtection), see if it still crashes
2) Try moving the LAN clients to the 1 Gbps ports (leave the two 10 Gbps ports unplugged), and enable AiProtection. Does it still crash? (test not needed)
3) Try enabling Bandwidth Monitor first, followed by enabling AiProtection. Does it still crash?
4) Try running the following command:
Code:
fc disable
Then, try enabling AIProtection. Does it still crash?

(by Bandwidth Monitor I mean enabling Apps Analysis here: )

1667894867018.png

After doing test 1 and 3 (and before the crash if you are able to), please post the output of this command:

Code:
cat /proc/net/biqos

It should return a value of "0" or "1".

Last edited:
AX86U

Dirty upgrade from 386.7_2 stable to 388.1-beta 1 was successful.
  • The basic functions of the router work perfectly.
  • Mesh paired with AX55 without any complaints.
  • OpenVPN channels with 3 servers are great.
  • The speed of the Internet channel is 500 Mbps - excellent.
  • Dual WAN works well, but not perfect as usual with Asus :(
  • Guest networks work as before.
  • Thanks for the WG client and server!!!!!!!!

So far I don't see any complaints.

I also use AX55 and AX56v2 in my network and would like to see firmware options from Merlin in the future :)

1667896261538.png

1667896339265.png

1667896031530.png

1667896717793.png
1667896745888.png

Last edited:
AX86U: Dirty upgrade from 386.7_2 to 388.1-beta 1.

Everything runs smooth, the only thing I have are some strange lines in the log file:

Nov 8 07:30:39 bsd: bsd: Sending act Frame to 34:79:16:XX:XX:XX with transition target eth6 ssid 7c:10:c9:XX:XX:XX
Nov 8 07:30:40 bsd: bsd: STA:34:79:16:XX:XX:XX no response
Nov 8 07:30:40 bsd: bsd: Sending act Frame to 34:79:16:XX:XX:XX with transition target eth6 ssid 7c:10:c9:XX:XX:XX
Nov 8 07:30:40 bsd: bsd: BSS Transit Response: ifname=eth7, event=156, token=2, status=7, mac=00:00:00:00:00:00
Nov 8 07:30:40 bsd: bsd: BSS Transit Response: STA reject
Nov 8 07:30:40 bsd: bsd: Skip STA:34:79:16:XX:XX:XX reject BSSID

I've tried to google the error as I am not the expert (without result), any idea what this could be?

AX86U: Dirty upgrade from 386.7_2 to 388.1-beta 1.

Everything runs smooth, the only thing I have are some strange lines in the log file:

Nov 8 07:30:39 bsd: bsd: Sending act Frame to 34:79:16:XX:XX:XX with transition target eth6 ssid 7c:10:c9:XX:XX:XX
Nov 8 07:30:40 bsd: bsd: STA:34:79:16:XX:XX:XX no response
Nov 8 07:30:40 bsd: bsd: Sending act Frame to 34:79:16:XX:XX:XX with transition target eth6 ssid 7c:10:c9:XX:XX:XX
Nov 8 07:30:40 bsd: bsd: BSS Transit Response: ifname=eth7, event=156, token=2, status=7, mac=00:00:00:00:00:00
Nov 8 07:30:40 bsd: bsd: BSS Transit Response: STA reject
Nov 8 07:30:40 bsd: bsd: Skip STA:34:79:16:XX:XX:XX reject BSSID

I've tried to google the error as I am not the expert (without result), any idea what this could be?
I had these too after upgrading to the beta. Turned off smart connect and solved.

I don’t really see a difference with smartconnect on or off so I just left it off.

hope this helps.

I had these too after upgrading to the beta. Turned off smart connect and solved.

I don’t really see a difference with smartconnect on or off so I just left it off.

hope this helps.
I found it's (SmartConnect), more trouble than it's worth also.

I found it's (SmartConnect), more trouble than it's worth also.
I like having my WiFi configuration on 1 page as with SmartConnect... why do you believe it is more trouble than it's worth?

Can someone with better network-smarts than me explain why Wireguard requires NAT-acceleration, and why Asus doesn't have it enabled? Can it be enabled later? Seems weird to offer a throttled Wireguard.

I like having my WiFi configuration on 1 page as with SmartConnect... why do you believe it is more trouble than it's worth?
I find it connects some of my devices to 2.4g when they run very well on 5g. This can be managed for the most part, but it takes lots of patience to fuss with the settings, on a continual basis. I just think separate bands are easier to manage over all.

Noticed something else that is breaking on this build. Web History under Adaptive QoS, randomly stops logging info after a period of time. From the math I did in my head, after about 20 hours of uptime. Web History logging stopped.

I have tested Web History before this newer 388 build, and it has worked fine in the past. However currently something is causing it to randomly stop working. I looked at the router log, around the time it last logged something, the default router logging system, didn't log any kind of error. So nothing I can post in that regard. Lastly I factory reset, and manually reconfigured my router after upgrading to the 388 build. So no chance of any possible setting conflict. Anyways just wanted to report this. It's happening on my AX6000 by the way.

Can someone with better network-smarts than me explain why Wireguard requires NAT-acceleration, and why Asus doesn't have it enabled? Can it be enabled later? Seems weird to offer a throttled Wireguard.
You should do more reading, or use the search tool. This has been discussed at length in previous posts in this thread. NAT acceleration is not compatible with this Wireguard implementation at this point. It may stay that way as well.

From RMerlin:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dev-asuswrt-merlin-388-1-development.81087/page-16#post-796807
The problem is the Wireguard protocol is not compatible with Broadcom Flow Cache (part of their NAT acceleration). That requires you to disable NAT acceleration to be able to use Wireguard, which will cap NAT throughput at around 300-350 Mbps max on an RT-AX88U (and that's without any VPN overhead). Whatever speed gain Wireguard might get, you end up being capped at around 300 Mbps, which isn't much faster than OpenVPN which can reach 220-250 Mbps on the same router. OpenVPN can run with Flow Cache still enabled, so that means anyone with an Internet connection faster than 300 Mbps cannot use Wireguard without seriously capping their whole Internet connection speed.

Not this beta related but may help you - I've got one AX86S for a friend of mine for CAD180 about a month back. It was CAD200 last week at BestBuy. The U and S versions perform exactly the same, if you don't hit the obvious S limitations. I've tested both side by side on my home 500/30 cable. Both perform worse than AC86U on lower 36-48 channels, good on 149-161. I don't know about DFS range, too close to Pearson International flight path.
Very kind of you, Thanks! DFS is also a concern to me, as my location is very near a waypoint for Pearson airspace, as well as Hamilton Munro.
yesterday the AX86s was on for 199.99 at the other blue and yellow computer store we've discussed before

Status
Not open for further replies.