What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.60 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Minor issue with Beta 1 (and 2 it seems) on the RT AC 68.... . but its a beta afterall... Asus android app doesn't like to connect to this version of the firmware.. and keeps wanting to upgrade the firmware.... Not surprised but just a heads up if folks do use the Android interface...

Update: Seems to have resolved after re-flashing Beta 2.. First flash seemed to go through but the version number didnt update.. rebooted, reflashed, and the app is seeing it now...

Grrrh..

-J

Last edited:
DLNA in general is simply a mess, as a lot of clients are flat out broken. Take any commercial DLNA server, and look how many workarounds and hacks they have to implement for specific clients. There's no way a low-resource, embedded solution such as minidlna can implement all of those workarounds.

Minidlna is simply a victim of all those broken clients. Take any firmware version, and there's always at least one client that is broken with it. 380.59 also had complains. And 380.58 as well. So, versions that worked for one person was broken for another.

All of these versions always worked fine whenever I tested them with either Plugplayer (on Android) or Windows Media Player (on Windows). Smart TVs implementations tend to be abysmal (starting with Samsung).

If your Smart TV has problems with minidlna, then you will have to switch to a more advanced DLNA server than minidlna, which will hopefully implement workarounds for your specific client.

I also had the "Network cable unplugged" message and required a reboot to restore. First time I never seen this.
Finally im not alone!!

""The Network Cable is unplugged" o_O

Same issue with beta 1 and 2 now
Yes i have done a factory reset .Yes the cables are good, i tested them (router-modem,cat 6)(router-pc,cat 6)
Nothing in syslog(clean)
Rebooting fixed it,until when?

Beta 1 took 3 days and this message appear
Beta 2 took 6 hours

Ipv6= http://ipv6-test.com/ DNS6 + IP6=unreachable(beta 1 and 2) ,work well with 380.58 and before

Here a pic from beta 1
I also had the "Network cable unplugged" message and required a reboot to restore external connectivity. Running AC56U with beta 2.

Could I help you in some way?

Do a factory default reset, and reconfigure everything manually. Chances are you have an old nvram value coming from an old firmware that might be conflicting with the current firmware.

DLNA in general is simply a mess, as a lot of clients are flat out broken. Take any commercial DLNA server, and look how many workarounds and hacks they have to implement for specific clients. There's no way a low-resource, embedded solution such as minidlna can implement all of those workarounds.

Minidlna is simply a victim of all those broken clients. Take any firmware version, and there's always at least one client that is broken with it. 380.59 also had complains. And 380.58 as well. So, versions that worked for one person was broken for another.

All of these versions always worked fine whenever I tested them with either Plugplayer (on Android) or Windows Media Player (on Windows). Smart TVs implementations tend to be abysmal (starting with Samsung).

If your Smart TV has problems with minidlna, then you will have to switch to a more advanced DLNA server than minidlna, which will hopefully implement workarounds for your specific client.

Understood, I saw you came to this conclusion about minidlna some time ago due to the contradictory posts on the subject. The only reason I posted this time was because you requested feedback on DLNA and for me it was the first time I broke streaming movies to my Panasonic clients ever. Through all versions of your firmware I have streamed to two Panasonic blurays without ever losing the connection. The 380.60 firmware consistently lose their connection to these Panasonic clients. My third client is a Samsung Smart TV that always drops the connection but I know that is the Samsung implementation & do not bring that up here.

Again, message received to switch off of minidlna if I cannot live with embedded minidlna within the firmware.

The only reason I posted this time was because you requested feedback on DLNA and for me it was the first time I broke streaming movies to my Panasonic clients ever.

No problem, and I do appreciate you taking the time to report on it. Just posting my conclusions based on the feedback gathered so far.

Hello!
This is syslog from beta 2 after changing some settings not connected with WAN setup.
Internet is not working. Can someone check is this ok syslog or there are something wrong in it?

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    19.6 KB · Views: 518
OK quick beta report.

Device: AC-3200
Prior version: 380.59
Current version: 380.60-beta2

Having issues with DHCP / dnsmasq.
Router seems to be routing fine but on the interface all devices show up as "static IP" and no leases listed under DHCP.
Local name resolution is not working now (ex: Myprinter.Mylocaldomain) which was working perfectly before.
Don't have time at moment to dig too deep haven't even had time to try obvious stuff like disabling DHCP rebooting then re-enabling to see if it has something to do w/ a legacy value. May do that now while I have a second.

Other than that seems to be running OK...

Merlin if you want to suggest anything to check quickly I'd be happy to do it.

---------- update ------------
Disabled DHCP, reboot, re-enable, no change.
I do keep my dnsmasq.leases file on a USB stick (/tmp/mnt/sda1/foo/dnsmasq.leases) for lease persistence but this has always worked great before, through various updates and versions.
And it looks like that is working fine still in fact as doing a 'renew' from a client touches the file and updates and I think leases are actually being assigned properly.

Could it be that the ASUS management pages are expecting a hard-coded dnsmasq.leases location?

Last edited:
Bingo. Fixed.

ln -s /tmp/mnt/sda1/foo/dnsmasq.leases /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases

All leases showing up in the management pages, in network map and other tools shows 'DHCP' instead of 'fixed' for all clients...

That was easy.

Oops. Sorta. Still acting a bit funny w/ local name resolution, suddenly mystupidprinter.mystupidlocal doesn't work although mystupidprinter alone works... not sure why fully qualified suddenly failed but I'll play around w it later...

Until all the existing leases have expired and been renewed, that data might not be consistent.

hmmm however just triple checked and indeed I have the ln command in /scripts/services-start already. I think i sorted this out when I first installed and set this up when transitioning from DD-WRT.

OK checked my logs and my script is tripping up on deleting the default lease file and replacing it with the link... maybe the system isn't creating the blank leases file in time now for my script to delete it... I made a script tweak and will try again. more or less I suspect everything is working fine just maybe some script noodling to be done...

Do a factory default reset, and reconfigure everything manually. Chances are you have an old nvram value coming from an old firmware that might be conflicting with the current firmware.
I did that recently, but not to fix this, I had the other cause, but OK, I'll try once more

The reason I went with Asuswrt-Merlin RT-AC68U firmware is Asus firmware just won't work when it comes to ftp into my usb hhd attached to the router. That is I can log into it I just can't copy, delete, Make dir or upload to it. I am now on Merlin's beta 2 and still same problem. I get this error
"553 Could not create file.
: /media/Movies/Drama/___.m4v
Error message= NS_BASE_STREAM_CLOSED: Component returned failure code: 0x80470002 (NS_BASE_STREAM_CLOSED) [nsIBinaryInputStream.available]
URL= chrome://fireftp/content/js/connection/dataSocket.js
Line Number= 474"

Any ideals as to why and is there going to be a fixed. All my movies are on this drive and I need to be able to ftp into it to copy more as I convert them to .m4v file formats. The ___ is just a place holder here I removed the name of the movie. I have tryed serval ftp clients all give me this error. I was hoping this firmware would have fixed it. Asus is aware of this problem but they are not going to fix it.

Well, since I set the DHCP Query Frequency to Normal mode on the WAN tab, I have not seen the "WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly." message and my internet hasn't wigged out like it did that one time. Been 5 days now. Now whether or not this is just coincidence I don't know.

RT-AC68U running the beta2.

Upgraded from alpha3 to beta2 and reset to factory defaults. First thing I did was enable stealth mode. After I hit Apply the lights were still on and the option was still set to No. I tried changing it again and this time it took. This issue was also present in alpha3.

I recorded a video that shows the bug, even after factory defaults reset. Please watch it full. Problem appears after 100% of reboots, and no matter via webui or via power button.

Crap, youtube's autofix cut the video by sides, can't see percents when rebooting, but they should be there, need to wait a little for unfix...
Already unfixed, ready for watching

Last edited:
I recorded a video that shows the bug, even after factory defaults reset. Please watch it full. Problem appears after 100% of reboots, and no matter via webui or via power button.

I'm not saying you aren't observing the issue, only that I can't reproduce it here, and neither could the other persons who also tried.

I'm not saying you aren't observing the issue, only that I can't reproduce it here, and neither could the other persons who also tried.
But if factory reset doesn't solve the issue, that means there's no conflict in nvram parameters, but something else. The led flashes for one second on 71% of loading, radios initialize at that moment, so an error might be something there...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!