What's new

Can't seem to run an OpenVPN server and PPTP/OpenVPN client at the same time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MichaelR64

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I am running a AC87 with latest fw, 378.56_2.
I have configured and used 2 OpenVPN servers successfully for a while on it.
I have a PIA subscription and managed to get the OpenVPN client and PPTP client working.
Because of throughput issues i ditched the use of the OpenVPN client and now only use the PPTP client.

My problem is that when i enable both the OpenVPN servers and the PPTP client the OpenVPN servers are unreachable from the internet.
As soon as i disconnect the PPTP client on the router the servers can be found and connect.

Is this a limit in the system or can i have both up and running.
Ideally i would like to be able to specify which openvpn server goes tru the PPTP tunnel.
But if both have to go tru that would be ok to.
Currently i can not use them together with my PPTP client enabled.

I remember having read somewhere that it is not possible but can not find it.

Perhaps someone can shed some light on this ?

I want to add this also happened when i had the OpenVPN client enabled.
I just switched to PPTP because of performance reasons.

Last edited:
This is because both features are in conflict. The server receives the inbound connection through your WAN, but your tunnel tries to send outgoing traffic through a different route, which cannot work.

So it is either vpn server or vpn client basically. (Sorry for the double post can't edit the previous post in tapatalk)

So it is either vpn server or vpn client basically. (Sorry for the double post can't edit the previous post in tapatalk)

Yes, at least with PPTP, since PPTP is an all-or-nothing solution.

With OpenVPN, you could use policy-based routing, and exclude the router's own IP from the tunnel.

Ok, so I need to switch back to open vpn client then. Is that the internal ip address then? Sorry if I sound stupid here.I just have no experience yet with policy based routing

Ok, so I need to switch back to open vpn client then. Is that the internal ip address then? Sorry if I sound stupid here.I just have no experience yet with policy based routing

Add a policy rule for VPN traffic for either the specific clients you want forwarded, or the whole subnet. Then, add another rule with the router's IP address, with routing set to WAN.

Thnx.
This worked, although it only worked if i put both rules(router and openvpn server subnet) in pointing to wan.

I guess looking at the way policyrules are set up it is not possible to have another OpenVPN server point to the local wan, meaning it exits my router at where i live not where the openvpnclient is connected (currently usa).