What's new

Does T-Mobile/ASUS TM-AC1900 (RT-AC68U) Support Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received mine last night. Mine came with a slightly older version of the Asus/TMo firmware. I was able to install the Merlin fork firmware without recovery mode, ie. via the OEM GUI. Seems to be working totally fine. Was a completely painless, 5 minute process including download / md5 hash check / etc.

Is there an easy way to create a build that includes Tmobile specific functionality into the firmware?

You will have to add the TM-1900 profile to target.mak and compile it with that model number.

Just got my router today and am closely following this thread. According to T-Mobile chat rep the onlything that T-Mobile customized was the QOS for the WiFi calling. The rep told me this router is the exact same as the rt-ac68u you buy from best buy. I'm calling BS on that as I only see 4 guest networks when you are supposed to have 6. I also don't see AI cloud...

What else did they change in their custom firmware and should I be concerned????

Last edited:
Just got my router today and am closely following this thread. According to T-Mobile chat rep the onlything that T-Mobile customized was the QOS for the WiFi calling. The rep told me this router is the exact same as the rt-ac68u you buy from best buy. I'm calling BS on that as I only see 4 guest networks when you are supposed to have 6. I also don't see AI cloud...

What else did they change in their custom firmware and should I be concerned????

You get six if you flash Merlin's.

You get six if you flash Merlin's.

I've been hearing mixed messages of success with both merlin and tomato. I think I'll wait until there is a stable build out there that reverts this to an "OEM" router. Until then I'll keep watching the thread.

BTW the shipped firmware on the router is 3.0.0.4.376_2827. The one previously posted must already be dated???

I actually ordered mine on 9/16 and got it next day shipping. Ran it with default firmware for a few days to test stability etc. I flashed Merlin's firmware version 3.0.0.4_376.47 for the AC68U a few days ago using the Firmware Restoration utility (for the RT-AC68U).

All of the features work just fine for me as if it were an AC68U, including the 6 guests networks. One of my first tests was to enable all 6 guests networks simultaneously and see if it ran and they did. Apparently the TM-AC1900 default running of 4 guest networks is strictly a software imposed limitation.

Everything has been smooth as silk so far. Expanded traffic monitor, AiCloud etc, all there.

possible to share/post the firmware utility for the AC68U?

RT-N66U : Merlin 374.43 / RT-N16 : tomato RAF 1.28.9014MIPSR2-RAF-v1.3g.trx

I've not had a single problem so far on Merlin's. I only run it AP mode, so i haven't really tested all the features. Under both the stock and Merlin's, I get about 35 MB/s on a usb3 WD Passport. I have a dedicated NAS but just wanted to see what kinds of speeds I could get. On the wifi side, it's actually better than my old RT-AC66R. I get the full bandwidth on my fios account of 75/75 (actually more like 85/85) siting one floor below the router in my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!