What's new

Noob looking for AC Router :(

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Majax

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking for a new router to replace my dismal Linksys E4200. It overheats, apparently a common problem for that model. Shame about how bad Linksys has become. Anyways, I'll have about 10 devices connected to it (Roku, iphone, ipad, laptop, 5 Android phones, etc...). I'd really appreciate a recommendation. Here are some requirements I have:

Right now, I have it down to 2 routers (in order of importance) :

1) NetGear R7000 (1900)
2) ASUS RT-AC68U (1900)

I'm just confused as to which one to buy. I don't know a huge amount about routers, so I'm hoping someone can recommend one or tell me what I should be looking for between these models.

Last edited:
Can you say more about this:
"2) Will be using Private Internet Access VPN."

They're all decent choices. For performance the Router Ranker has R7000 for #1 AC1900 and Archer C8 and ASUS RT-AC66U tied for AC1750 #1.

you might want to include linksys. They may not be the best in any catogary but they arent the worst in any either. If you only need a few Mb/s of VPN than you can choose from any AC router but if you need like 50Mb/s to 100Mb/s of VPN than consider going with a router that has a dual core ARM CPU.

But even with a router that has a dual core ARM CPU it cant really use drives at the maximum throughput of usb3. The most ive seen is slightly higher than usb2 throughput. Tp-link does well on basic features but they dont do as well when you start using advanced features in comparison to asus. Normally i'd avoid dlink because both their hardware and firmware isnt on par with other brands.

Very important thing to know is that TP-link's usb feature doesnt allow more than 1 host to use at the same time so if you attached a hard drive only one computer can use it at a time. If they didnt than you would be seeing very very slow throughputs on usb. Im not sure if thiggins actually noticed while he was testing.

Yeah i too vote go for R7000 its the best and stable router so far. As with no hang/drop of internet for 4 Days and up and running. I have even heard with that even running for 42 days with no hicups.

Can you say more about this:
"2) Will be using Private Internet Access VPN."

I shouldn't have put that in. At the time I didn't understand about installing 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT or Tomato and using Open VPN. I'm going to update the OP momentarily.

I'm now only deciding between the R7000 and AC68U.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Everywhere I asked, the R7000 was overwhelmingly the favorite. So, I'm going to order that.

I've read some reviews that say the R7000 drops frequently on 5 GHz. Granted, they are only a few bad reviews, but does anyone have experience with the R7000 at 5GHz level?

Also, what 3rd party firmware would you recommend?
XVortex Asus Merlin 378.54_2
Shibby's Tomato 129
NetGear Firmware 1.0.4.30
Kong's DD-WRT

Last edited:
Take a look at the pictures of the internals on the SNB reviews. Get the one with a respectable heatsink.

I wouldn't recommend the Netgear stock firmware. For my taste, I'd go with Tomato or Vortex...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!