What's new

[Official] RT-AC87U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9177

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How did you reset? I now always use this method:

- Press and hold WPS button on the back
- Turn on power/insert power cord
- Wait up to 20 secs until the power LED starts to rapidly blink before releasing the WPS button.

Note: That last bit is important. Don't wait 5 secs or 10 secs (or even 20!), or any other approximate time you may have heard. Wait until the light blinks rapidly.

I had my own share of bad resets in the past before settling on this method.

I am an Asus router newbie and have only used the method of ''holding down the reset button for 10 seconds'' to reset.

I have not tried your method. The manual says using this procedure will have the power LED to blink slowly, which indicates the router has now entered the Rescue mode.
Does this mean that, if I continue to hold down the WPS button at this stage, the blinking will go from 'slow' (rescue mode) to 'rapid' (factory reset)?

Would you please clarify? Thank you.

One huge improvement to ASUSWRT firmwares would be to be able to do the full setup and then apply/reload.
That would be amazing... and will reduce a full setup from 30 min to maybe 10min max by avoiding the waiting times for each reload it has on each apply button

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

maybe You have problem with browser ? try other like ff or chrome ?

maybe You have problem with browser ? try other like ff or chrome ?
I tried chrome, edge, firefox, and ie same problem. I also tried to access to 3 different computers.....same thing takes me to login screen once I login nothing

I have 2 RT-AC87U's I updated the firmware on both and reset the router. After about 5 minutes the GUI stops responding, but internet still works and I'm able to telnet into the routers. I reboot them both, 5 minutes later same thing happens. I go to the GUI, it takes me to the login page, enter my info and goes to a blank screen. Thinking that the file was bad I downloaded the firmware again and started over fresh, same thing happens. Anyone else having this issue? I contacted Asus support and they asked why would you update the firmware lol. My response was why publish firmware if you don't want users updating their hardware. I was connected to a "2nd" level tech and he said the firmware was going to get pulled, don't know how true that is but I figured I would share.

FYI - I have only one 87R but had a similar GUI failure issue. When I upgraded the firmware, I had originally reset the router to default using the GUI and had the reported problem. Then I reset the router using the reset button. After using the reset button and manually reentering my config, the GUI has been stable.

FYI - I have only one 87R but had a similar GUI failure issue. When I upgraded the firmware, I had originally reset the router to default using the GUI and had the reported problem. Then I reset the router using the reset button. After using the reset button and manually reentering my config, the GUI has been stable.
Yea I reset it at least 5 times this morning and still having the issue, I just rolled back and everything is fine again

Yea I reset it at least 5 times this morning and still having the issue, I just rolled back and everything is fine again
I can only say it is not the firmware that is the problem. Many here are using it successfully. IMO its the best, most stable version since 378.4950, months ago. Sorry, I don't know what else to suggest.

Edit: Just to be clear, have you tried resetting using the method I suggested, then upload the firmware without doing anything else, then reset again? Also, make sure you give the router plenty of time to settle after each reboot/upgrade. Sometimes it is possible to logon whilst it is still in the middle of upgrading or resetting!

Last edited:
I have not tried your method. The manual says using this procedure will have the power LED to blink slowly, which indicates the router has now entered the Rescue mode.
Does this mean that, if I continue to hold down the WPS button at this stage, the blinking will go from 'slow' (rescue mode) to 'rapid' (factory reset)?

Would you please clarify? Thank you.
My method (well it's not my method, but I get what you mean :) ) involves the WPS button. Rescue mode uses the RESET button. I wish Asus would just have one, guaranteed successful, way of resetting these things!

ok, so how i can check traffic from specific day ?

I don't think you can, at least not with a protocol breakdown. If you set it to Weekly, you can see the total amount of transfer for a given day by hovering the mouse pointer over each day.

My method (well it's not my method, but I get what you mean :) ) involves the WPS button. Rescue mode uses the RESET button. I wish Asus would just have one, guaranteed successful, way of resetting these things!
Yep I waited 10 minutes before I did anything

Nope I held the WPS button and waited for the power light to flash

To reset from WPS you should turn the router off, hold WPS and turn it on while holding the WPS button for a couple of seconds until power led blinks, then release it and it will reset the router

Regarding reset, I've never been able to get the router to successfully reset using either the reset button on the back nor the WPS button. I highly recommend just using the software reset button in the router GUI, it seems to work very reliably compared to the physical button methods.

I still don't understand why the reset button can only be used to put the router into recovery mode. Why call it reset then? Why use the WPS button as a reset, it doesn't make any sense!

I'll be testing this firmware over the weekend. I'm still on 4950 so this will be a huge change I think.

If we can fix the iPad Air problem and I think I'll be happy.

Would you elaborate please? I'm on 5134 and am thinking about making the jump. Mostly an Apple household and have a number of devices running 9.0.1 - 9.0.2

I got to hand it to Asus, I figured they would roll on this device by now like Linksys and Netgear have done with their Quantenna routers. Good to see they are still working away on updates. Well I guess Netgear is still providing updates, at least the last one was 3 months ago versus the Linksys last release in December. I'm going to pull my 87R out of the box today after work and load it up and check out the changes.

Any company that dropped support of their product within that time frame would never see my money again

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!