What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.61 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am seeing more of this message now in "General Log" : 3 or 4 /days
kernel: nvram: consolidating space!.
I know this is normal but I didnt find any good answers for why on the web or in this forum
It's a normal Linux kernel activity... if you want to know why Linux does this memory management is like wondering why humans breathe and find some Linux gurus/programmers ... o_O

Or do some reading: http://free-electrons.com/pub/confe...el-consolidation/arm-kernel-consolidation.pdf

I know this is normal but I didnt find any good answers for why on the web or in this forum
I have seen this message in all fw,but in this one often

Most likely due to the option in Tools -> Other Settings "Memory Management: Regularly flush caches (default: Yes)".

Running the latest release on an 88u router. The only issue I'm seeing is trouble with an android phone connecting to the guest network. Connecting to the non-guest network is fine.

So i should be happy even if it's not working for me just because it's free. Okay. Also I fail to see any hate here. I raised my concerns and I got jumped on for no reason.
Attitude/demeanor of your posts seems somebody owes you something. Having problems with some firmwares happens, what's important is to help yourself, if there's any, find the cause, things you've done must be reported. This firmware started with betas, you should have participated to make it better instead of waiting for the final release. But who knows, maybe the firmware has nothing to do with your problem.:(

I have seen this message in all fw,but in this one often

Your nvram might have become fragmented over time.

Thanks for all the hard work Merlin.

I am still running 380.59 on my AC-RT3200 and I'm a bit unsure whether to upgrade to 380.61, being "non-downgradable" now.

Any clues on whether it's worth upgrading at this point? My router is perfectly stable on 380.59, although I tend to be a "latest and greatest" kind of guy who always upgrades.

Just upgraded AC87R from 380.60 beta 2 and everything is running nice and smooth.

Thank you RMerlin for all you hard work :)

I am still running 380.59 on my AC-RT3200 and I'm a bit unsure whether to upgrade to 380.61, being "non-downgradable" now.

Any clues on whether it's worth upgrading at this point? My router is perfectly stable on 380.59, although I tend to be a "latest and greatest" kind of guy who always upgrades.

I'm in the exact same position, it's running perfect with openvpn so I think I'm going to stay on 380.59.

Yesterday I update my AC87U (reboot-update-reboot) .59 to .61 and today I can reach internet, thereafter I visit the market, return to home, and a cup of caffee, that's about 1 hour later.
And I lost internet connection, on the mainpage I have contact to ISP, and OpenVPN status was connected, but it wasn't, after Reboot everything works again.
So within 17 hour after update, internet connection was lost, that was fast, this is the first time so soon.

My wish is a proof of internet connection, instead of, well should I reboot my router in case of, if the router doesn't respond to connect to an website (WWW).

Thanks.
Henk.

The new 380.61 is not working so well for FTP transfer.

I have 2Gbit Multi Network (1Gbit each) and I do transferring of files between my AC5300 and AC87U often.

Immediately after upgrade on my AC5300, I saw my FTP transfer speed drop to less than about 8MBps when it was near 30MBps always. I checked in the router page and noticed Core 1 maxed out at 100% while Core 2 is near idling. It was 80% to 90%+ previously on both in 380.59.

Should I upgrade the AC87U to 380.61 as well or should I downgrade the AC5300?

Any thoughts?

Attitude/demeanor of your posts seems somebody owes you something. Having problems with some firmwares happens, what's important is to help yourself, if there's any, find the cause, things you've done must be reported. This firmware started with betas, you should have participated to make it better instead of waiting for the final release. But who knows, maybe the firmware has nothing to do with your problem.:(
Look I also make free programs for a living. However since I work from home, if my router is not working properly then i can't push out content. Hence I would like to skip beta firmwares, when i updated to 59.0 I reported my issues with it, now I upgraded to 61.0 (tought my issues are probably fixed) i reported my issue again. I don't see how i am a bad guy here. I'm only here to find solutions/answers/other options not to find jesus.

And it's seems like i'm not the only one who has issues with AC87U.

If you say: Yeah dude we reverted to the raw dlna code, so some older streaming services might not work properly. Then I accept that and I stop updating the newer firmwares while expecting for a solution.

Last edited:
Look I also make free programs for a living. However since I work from home, if my router is not working properly then i can't push out content. Hence I would like to skip beta firmwares, when i updated to 59.0 I reported my issues with it, now I upgraded to 61.0 (tought my issues are probably fixed) i reported my issue again. I don't see how i am a bad guy here. I'm only here to find solutions/answers/other options not to find jesus.

If you say: Yeah dude we reverted to the raw dlna code, so some older streaming services might not work properly. Then I accept that and I stop updating the newer firmwares while expecting for a solution.

OK, so the code isn't rolling back, your setup is now broken, the situation isn't going to change, and you keep beating the dead horse with an uninviting attitude/demeanor. What do you want now? A public apology?

Since you also write code....did you take a look at the git for minidlna? This fix in the next release happened to catch my eye....

clients: Add AllShare and Windows detection

Reporting Samsung features to Windows and AllShare somehow makes them
ignore us, so detect these client types specifically and don't expose
Samsung capabilities to them.

If you have followed the Beta, didn't have to participate, Merlin made changes to the DLNA service and he clearly posted what he was changing and "appealed" for testers to try. The link is there, please read post #1 specifically and if you want read the rests of the thread, there were Samsung TV's that were reported working.
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/beta-dlna-asuswrt-merlin-380-61-beta-2-dlna-feedback-only.33969/

Last edited:
Folks, I think the DLNA question has been debated to death by now. Let's move on.

Folks, I think the DLNA question has been debated to death by now. Let's move on.
Agreed...situation is at a stale mate: new code makes some Samsungs work and others not... reverted code kinda turns the situation around. "Win for all" is apparently not possible due to the different implementations of DLNA profiles Let's keep it at that. There are more important features to argue about ;-)

I noticed an interesting thing... after the 380.60 series firmware, is there a dns filter filtering out domains that fail the dns test? Some domains outside of the Asus Router's checks load ok. Going through the Asus Router, the load html page keeps trying to load and fails. I have tried ISP dns, google dns, and Opendns. Asus Firmware blocks websites with bad dns setups. Interesting... Is anybody noticing this?

Don't kill me, but I tried the allshare at a friends house on a Samsung 7000-series tv. Working good on my 9000 series as well.
And on a Philips Bluray. And a Sony tv. AC87U.
No problems.

Don't kill me, but I tried the allshare at a friends house on a Samsung 7000-series tv. Working good on my 9000 series as well.
And on a Philips Bluray. And a Sony tv. AC87U.
No problems.
I'm gonna go and give it one more try then, testing AllShare, WMP share and Serviio, and gonna try to watch a couple of movies. My TV is a 7500 tho which makes it to belong to series 8. (Not sure thats relevant.)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!