What's new

Rework Home Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Michaelwynne

New Around Here
Okay, for starters I live in a home with 4 family members that consume extreme amounts of data through the use of Gaming on multiple consoles/PCs, Streaming through apps like netflix, hbo, hulu etc. Torrents, and social media and web browsing on multiple handheld devices.

There are many dead spots in my house when it comes to WiFi usage due to the house being elongated with the router/modem positioned on one side of the house. The consoles/pcs and streaming devices are located on the other side of the house. Router/modem cannot be moved currently due to the fact that many of our hardwired devices have the cable running under the carpet.

We currently pay for Verizon FiOS which to the best of my knowledge is the best ISP in my area. We currently use the Verizon FiOS - Actiontec MI424WR Rev. 1.

1. Is the router/modem listed above recommended with the amount of data being consumed in the household?

2. If not, what modem/router would you recommend?

3. Is there a benefit to using a modem and a router vs a single modem/router device?

4. What is the most effective way to tackle the deadspots in my home?

Looking for advice of any kind :D

Okay, for starters I live in a home with 4 family members that consume extreme amounts of data through the use of Gaming on multiple consoles/PCs, Streaming through apps like netflix, hbo, hulu etc. Torrents, and social media and web browsing on multiple handheld devices.

There are many dead spots in my house when it comes to WiFi usage due to the house being elongated with the router/modem positioned on one side of the house. The consoles/pcs and streaming devices are located on the other side of the house. Router/modem cannot be moved currently due to the fact that many of our hardwired devices have the cable running under the carpet.

We currently pay for Verizon FiOS which to the best of my knowledge is the best ISP in my area. We currently use the Verizon FiOS - Actiontec MI424WR Rev. 1.

1. Is the router/modem listed above recommended with the amount of data being consumed in the household?

2. If not, what modem/router would you recommend?

3. Is there a benefit to using a modem and a router vs a single modem/router device?

4. What is the most effective way to tackle the deadspots in my home?

Looking for advice of any kind :D

With FIOS you don't have a modem. The Actiontec is a router that supports MOCA. If you have TV service from FIOS you will need to keep the MOCA capabilities.

Recommendations:

1. Ask FIOS for the newer router that supports AC radios.

2. Visit the FIOS on line store. In the past they had plug/ play WiFi extenders that used the coaxial cable with MOCA to add APs where you needed stronger WiFi. You could add several.

3. Depending on the construction of your home the best solution maybe to add Ethernet to the locations where you need wired connections or wired APs.

4. Based on my experience try to avoid not using the Actiontec router as your primary router connected to the OTN. If you just have to have your own router then double NAT it behind the Actiontec. I used an Actiontec router for two years and found it to be a good reliable device. Everyone likes to complain about the router installed by their ISP but for the most part they are OK. With the FCC's crackdown on messing with WiFi signal strength most routers are more than same than different when it comes to range, though having radios that are AC capable has been proven on this site to improve throughput even on non AC clients.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!