What's new

RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_378_4950

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

When I very first enabled VPN after the update it just hung enabling it indefinitely. I powered down using the power button and when it came back up I was able to enable VPN again, and it works as before... OpenVPN.

VPN working purrfect here.

openvpn[5666]: Options error: Bad port number: 0
Trying to change it in the GUI or terminal does nothing. Stuck on 1194.

openvpn[5666]: Options error: Bad port number: 0
Trying to change it in the GUI or terminal does nothing. Stuck on 1194.

Something is wrong with your router... None of the problem you have i found here. I tested one by one and it works. I think that you still have not erase the nvram ... it's the only explanation i have...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now the problems are solved using the USB modem in the 4950 firmware.

If the ISP disconnects. The USB modem connects still not automatic.

Current Merlin 378.52 on AC87

Now the problems are solved using the USB modem in the 4950 firmware.

If the ISP disconnects. The USB modem connects still not automatic.

Current Merlin 378.52 on AC87
I don't know what is a question and what is a statement in your post!

I know from a post by RMerlin in another thread that some of the 4950 fixes are going to have to wait until Merlin .53, so I don't know if the USB Modem fixes are in .52. You should ask in the Merlin thread (assuming you were asking a question!).

I am only interested in whether the current firmware 4950 maybe the problem is solved. I know that asus after the 4608 changes in USB modem, and Merlin is not yet in its firmware.

I have written a small script. But unfortunately this only works occasionally.

#!/bin/sh
if ping -w 10 -c 1 212.247.8.38 > /dev/null; then
echo "SERVERNAME=on"
else
echo "SERVERNAME=off"
modprobe -r ohci_hcd
sleep 5
modprobe -r ehci_hcd
sleep 15s
modprobe ehci_hcd
sleep 5s
modprobe ohci_hcd
fi

Otherwise I have to keep looking to find a script. Which for me works!
Anybody a idea

Last edited:
Way too many problems... I am afraid its time to replace the router.
Yeah, I have them elsewhere and those are fine. This one in particular has become a problem in the last few weeks, but what is odd is it will be fine for a while then it just starts going haywire. LOL I mean, it's frustrating, but very entertaining to deal with. I'm learning a great deal trying to keep it going, but at a certain point, for my own sanity, if I cant get it to stabilize I will replace it with another 87u or the new one with the 6 antennas.

Ich habe ein kleines Skript geschrieben. Aber leider funktioniert dies nur gelegentlich.

Please repost that in English, so we can understand what you are asking.

Sorry google was faster with translation

#!/bin/sh
if ping -w 10 -c 1 212.247.8.38 > /dev/null; then
echo "SERVERNAME=on"
else
echo "SERVERNAME=off"
modprobe -r ohci_hcd
sleep 5
modprobe -r ehci_hcd
sleep 15s
modprobe ehci_hcd
sleep 5s
modprobe ohci_hcd
fi

Attachments

• usb-start.txt
    229 bytes · Views: 580
  • services-start.txt
    79 bytes · Views: 282
Last edited:
Yeah, I have them elsewhere and those are fine. This one in particular has become a problem in the last few weeks, but what is odd is it will be fine for a while then it just starts going haywire. LOL I mean, it's frustrating, but very entertaining to deal with. I'm learning a great deal trying to keep it going, but at a certain point, for my own sanity, if I cant get it to stabilize I will replace it with another 87u or the new one with the 6 antennas.
Have you tried getting into recovery mode and then clearing the NVRAM from that GUI? You just enter your router's IP after getting into recovery mode (press and hold reset button for 8-10 seconds with the router powered down, power up the router and continue pressing the reset button until the far left LED start to blink slowly indicating recovery mode) and then use the firmware restoration utility from Asus to flash the router. I don't think I have ever had an issue when I take the time to use this method. It seems faster too but that is probably just an illusion on my part.

Have you tried getting into recovery mode and then clearing the NVRAM from that GUI? You just enter your router's IP after getting into recovery mode (press and hold reset button for 8-10 seconds with the router powered down, power up the router and continue pressing the reset button until the far left LED start to blink slowly indicating recovery mode) and then use the firmware restoration utility from Asus to flash the router. I don't think I have ever had an issue when I take the time to use this method. It seems faster too but that is probably just an illusion on my part.
Lately, no I haven't flashed it. I took this opportunity to set up a replacement router and demote the problem one to AP duties. Same thing I did with the 68u I replaced with an 87u. Doesn't hurt my feelings any, we get another part of the place covered with wifi. Plus, I think the 3200 will suit us better as the main router with guest wifi, too.

Will it keep any of your entries? I click apply and it goes through the motions, and on reload the page is blank again.

Yes, my entry is kept. I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but after entering your parameters, you did press the add ("+") on the right side
first before pressing the "Apply" right ? I know when I first did this, I just pressed "Apply" without pressing the "Add/Delete" and it doesn't keep
the settings.

Yes, my entry is kept. I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but after entering your parameters, you did press the add ("+") on the right side
first before pressing the "Apply" right ? I know when I first did this, I just pressed "Apply" without pressing the "Add/Delete" and it doesn't keep
the settings.

Yes I used it. And as an admin myself, I don't mind over detail, it's better than someone saying "It's not working!". Ugh, LOL.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!