What's new

State of the project (August 2016)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pirx73, I would suggest anything but the RT-AC87U from Asus (even with RMerlin's firmware). You may find it is issue free in your network environment, but why take a chance when there are better options available?

Oh, what is wrong with AC87U?
Please tell me.
AC88U is way too expensive although i admit 8 LAN ports are useful option.

Oh, what is wrong with AC87U?
Please tell me.
AC88U is way too expensive although i admit 8 LAN ports are useful option.

For many, there is nothing 'wrong' per se. But for others, the RT-AC87U has proven to be less than the ideal router they hoped it would be. The Quantenna (5GHz) chipset implemented in the router has many drawbacks for some folks, often insurmountable. Like I mentioned, you may not have an issue at all with the '87U. But, why take a chance?

You don't need to get an RT-AC88U either. The RT-AC3100 is also in the current 'excellent' range.

But the original RT-AC68U is a more stable router than the RT-AC87U ever was (overall). The latest incarnation of the '68U being the BestBuy RT-AC1900P (with 1.4GHz dual processors and updated RF design) is arguably 'above' the '87U and best of all? It is able to run the latest RMerlin firmware too (use the RT-AC68U trx file).

https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=WKkGVsjINIft8weLl7z4CA#q=RT-AC87U+problems

Hi Merlin

Really appreciate the effort you put into this project.
I hope you will be able to continue the work epically on the AC3200 (and hope Asus keeps releasing the "stuff" you need to continue the work on it)
But once the Merlin version of the firmware comes to end of life, and no more support or update, I will be selling it and replacing it with one what is supported.
The main reason for me to use your firmware is for the OpenVPN connection on the router :)

Thanks

XK

For many, there is nothing 'wrong' per se. But for others, the RT-AC87U has proven to be less than the ideal router they hoped it would be. The Quantenna (5GHz) chipset implemented in the router has many drawbacks for some folks, often insurmountable. Like I mentioned, you may not have an issue at all with the '87U. But, why take a chance?

You don't need to get an RT-AC88U either. The RT-AC3100 is also in the current 'excellent' range.

But the original RT-AC68U is a more stable router than the RT-AC87U ever was (overall). The latest incarnation of the '68U being the BestBuy RT-AC1900P (with 1.4GHz dual processors and updated RF design) is arguably 'above' the '87U and best of all? It is able to run the latest RMerlin firmware too (use the RT-AC68U trx file).

https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=WKkGVsjINIft8weLl7z4CA#q=RT-AC87U+problems

Hi, I am looking for a new router myself. I have basically nothing to upgrade from. I have worked on business network switches and routers. At home I am currently still stuck in the crappy router the provider gave me.

While I was looking into the "best router of 2016". I ran into this AC87U router in nearly every topic.

Now indeed, while I was looking for dd-wrt or merlin support for this router. I found a lot of complaints about the builds not working great, or even 5ghz no longer working, dropouts, ...

Which router would you suggest?

My price range can go as high as the current price for this router and a bit up +- 200 euro, 225$, 170£

Hi, I am looking for a new router myself. I have basically nothing to upgrade from. I have worked on business network switches and routers. At home I am currently still stuck in the crappy router the provider gave me.

While I was looking into the "best router of 2016". I ran into this AC87U router in nearly every topic.

Now indeed, while I was looking for dd-wrt or merlin support for this router. I found a lot of complaints about the builds not working great, or even 5ghz no longer working, dropouts, ...

Which router would you suggest?

My price range can go as high as the current price for this router and a bit up +- 200 euro, 225$, 170£

The RT-AC3100 or the RT-AC1900P (a Best Buy exclusive right now) is the routers I am recommending to my customers for long term use.

The RT-AC3100 or the RT-AC1900P (a Best Buy exclusive right now) is the routers I am recommending to my customers for long term use.

I would agree - in lieu of RT-AC1900P (which in in many ways is a rebrand of the RT-AC68 series) - the RT-AC3100 is a good value point for most if interested in an Asus All-in-One router/AP solution... but the RT-AC68 series is still a great bang for the buck solution for many home users (as are any AC1900 class solution)

There are others, but that's outside of the scope of this thread... since we're in an Asus thread - I'm keeping it Asus specific...

(still would be nice for Asus to introduce a router only solution - X86 or ARM, but open, like they have with the AsusWRT lines - and a couple of lightweight AP solutions to back those up - when I see ER-X and ehX devices under $100, this is an interesting market - Asus with their Intel connections, could do something very interesting here that would meet the needs of many on SNB)

Indeed, when it comes to Asus, the main models I was looking at all night and this afternoon were AC68U 87U (bad bad reviews) 88U 3200

Still undecided. Mainly because some reviews are praising the hell out of it. While other are actually saying, most of the premium stuff can't be fully used yet. IE: most clients don't support 4x4. Don't support mu-mimo. Not enough devices in a 2 person house hold to cover the 2x 5Ghz in triband, ...

I just want a really sort of advanced configurable router (best ddwrt router, another brand, so keeping it out here) is kind of too blueish for my taste (all my equipment is black)
Options I would certainly use. Share printer over the one usb (almost all of them do that)
linking lan (only highest end)
adblocker on router level
vpn
eventually vlans as well

Thanks, went for the asus AC68U. Wifi compared to the previous model I had went from 54Mbps to 480-520, sometimes 600+. Everything was working as excpected. And thank to the iptv setting, I didn't have to configure any custom VLANs.

I was really leaning a lot to the 3200 or 88U. But the price wasn't worth it. 320 euro...
68U was 140 euro... With that money I can buy two of those and make one an accesspoint or repeater if I have to

I'm going to unstick this thread since it has served its purpose, and has turned into quite off-topic by now.