What's new

USB 3.0 + Solid State Disk problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hardtotell

Regular Contributor
I cannot use my 120GB SSD on the USB 3.0 port of the router because of this problems. See the attached syslog below, complete with a kernel stack trace.

However, the SSD works fine when plugged into the USB 2.0 port. Soon I will test it with an externally powered USB 3.0 enclosure. Maybe it's a power issue?

I also have an RT-AC68U that's been running Asuswrt-Merlin flawlessly, with externally powered USB 3.0 RAID enclosure 2x 4TB mirrored disks.

Here's the problem configuration:
RT-AC56U, Asuswrt-Merlin 378.53
PNY XLR8 PRO SSD 120GB, 5VDC 0.5A, plugged into USB 3.0 port of router
Nimitz Ultra Caddy SATA III to USB 3.0 cable, no external power

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    25 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Technically it should not be a power issue since usb3 can provide more power than usb2. The IO error could be due to the usb adapter used with the SSD. Try plug it into a PC's usb3 port to confirm.

Also do note that it is pointless to use an SSD as NAS on a router because SAMBA performance is very low but if you are going to use it as part of the linux file system and stick to FTP or similar or to install programs on it than it will be fast.

OP suggests that it worked on the USB2 port, the issue was on the USB3 port...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!