What's new

What is a good router for home-based VPN Endpoint use?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Miner

Regular Contributor
I’m looking for advice or comments on a best setup for my home office. I need a new router, I am also looking for advice on no cost VPN clients, for Win 7/64.

New Router:
  • In addition to the router having the usual features for a small home office, it should be able to function as a VPN Endpoint. I’d use the router in VPN mode for maybe 5% of the time, when I travel for the job. The rest of the time is normal internet usage.
  • It should be consumer priced/consumer grade. To me that means in the sub $100 price range.
  • Other requirements: connection to the one of the clients mentioned below, easy to configure, and does not throttle or have a bandwidth limitation. I’d prefer not to have to flash a router with open source firmware to make this work, however if that is the best way to go, I’m good to do so.
  • It does not need to have wireless, I already have a standalone wireless access point that I can use.
VPN Clients:
  • Need to run in 64-bit Windows 7. I am aware Windows comes with a VPN client. In the free category, there’s also OpenVPN, and ShrewSoft. I got those names from this write up on LifeHacker from 2010.
Comments and opinions appreciated.