What's new

[ 3004.388.5 alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
from what I already checked, SSL issue from last firmware was resolved here

The issue: SSL was not auto-renew (app was showing ASUS App showed Security Link something), to DDNS, after WAN was on/off manually.
Seems to be resolved.

Last edited:
Try in an Incognito window. Works fine for me.
Thank you very much for the answer.

That attempt was made from a Windows installation which I use with an online MS account, so probably that is why it happened.
All is good now.

Cheers.

Have updated all my routers and it works fine.
The only thing that doesn't work is that the ssd disk doesn't mount after boot or update.
Have to pull out and plug in for it to mount again.

A funny thing that when updating my DDNS did not update, it turned out that afraid.org was not responding at that time.

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 20-18-08 ASUS Wireless Router GT-AX6000 - System Information.png

Code:
May  5 07:05:40 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/pre-mount (args: /dev/sda unknown)
May  5 07:05:40 pre-mount: Unexpected filesystem type unknown for /dev/sda

Did not work for me on RT-AX86U PRO as main router. Real battle to get on to webgui and on main page cpu was going crazy.
Htop showed the following ...

2023-11-03 21_31_07-Window.png

No amount of waiting would bring that 100% CPU utilization down - so killed that process.
No access at all to System Log tab on webui - just hourglass waiting endlessly.
Discovered that JFFS was now suddenly full 44.46MB of 44.46MB used [was only about 3MB used before applying Alpha].

Clawed my way back via http://ipaddress and reapplied released firmware 3004.388.4 but had to factory reset and upload saved settings from the release version. Manually edited JFFS folder where I discovered a huge system.log file had taken up all the available space - deleted it. Restored saved JFFS from backup file.

All back to wonderful stability. No idea how or why all the above happened - just putting it out there as a cautionary.
Great to know there is always a way back to safety with Merlinware :D.

Last edited:
RT-AX86U_Pro

Dirty flashed the alpha and was able to enter CIDR notation on the firewall/network services filter page. Once I hit apply, the router was caught in a reboot loop of some sort. I had no access until a hard (WPS) reset.

I tried single IP notation (ie, 192.168.50.224) - works fine.

ANY CIDR notation causes the reboot of death. ie, 192.168.50.224/32 or 192.168.50.224/28 or 192.168.50.192/27. ANY CIDR notation locks up the router.

I tried several times, with WPS resets and GUI factory resets in between.

I am now wondering if ASUS intentionally blocked CIDR notation on the filter because it breaks some coding.

Last edited:
Trend Micro signature shows -- 2.372 Updated : 2023/08/24 16:46
Manual check shows up to date, but version and date aren't changing.

Did not work for me on RT-AX86U PRO as..................

Your username and asuscomm address are exposed in this message.

Last edited:
fast-io is working just fine too. I can't quantify the improvement though - average download via vpn was ~180Mbit but now maxxing out my 200MBit connection.
Bravo!

Your username and asuscomm address are exposed in this message.
Lucky me there are a gazillion "john's" in this world - not so sure about the asuscomm bit ... cause I don't have one .;).

thanks got for the AXE1100 and the AX1100pro both working well 2 hours uptime all as good or better than before , speeds are good connections solid and fast

Last edited:
Lucky me there are a gazillion "john's" in this world - not so sure about the asuscomm bit ... cause I don't have one .;).
Ah ok, the link under the version number contains an asuscomm url that's why I presumed you had one, the combination of that and your username felt a bit risky :)

Btw, I still think you have or had ddns enabled with asuscomm, because the link ends up in South Africa the same country as in your profile.

Last edited:
Ah ok, the link under the version number contains an asuscomm url that's why I presumed you had one, the combination of that and your username felt a bit risky :)

Btw, I still think you have or had ddns enabled with asuscomm, because the link ends up in South Africa the same country as in your profile.
Ah ... gotcha ... and fixed - good catch 👍 ... but not mine all the same.

Is there a plan/path to bring OpenSSL to the 3.X versions? 1.1.1 is end of life.
Rmerlin address this in another thread (post #2) about a month ago:
Having two separate versions of OpenSSL in parallel is very problematic, so I'd rather avoid that. Migration to OpenSSL 3.x will have to be done by Asus due to the large amount of closed source components also linking against it.

I already discussed it with Asus last spring, so they were aware that OpenSSL 1.1.1's EOL was coming this fall. I don't have anything else to share about their plans at this time. It will probably take them some time, some of their current components (like OpenVPN 2.4.x) are not compatible with it, so they will need to also update these other components first.

The move to OpenSSL 3.0 will be more complicated than moving to 1.1.1, as 3.0 is stricter. For instance, it will break a lot of existing OpenVPN configurations as 3.0 will reject older/weaker SHA signatures that are probably present on a lot of router's OpenVPN configurations that were done using these older hashes. Migrating to 3.0 will require all of these persons to reconfigure their OpenVPN servers, and deploy updated config files to all of their clients. So, it's not something trivial.
See subsequent posts by RMerlin in that discussion.

Post upgrade I had a minor issue with the DST settings under Administration/System, was fine before, that had my TZ setings messed up and moved me an hour sooner, but changed it back and quickly resolved.

1699139318481.png

Other than that, the AX88 and both AX86 mesh nodes doing great so far so good...

1699139507414.png

Hi, I'm wondering what the problem is right away as I only have the problem on the rt-ax86u pro and on the rt-ax86u it works perfectly without this message of mastiff as a spammer in the log and I tested the rt-ax86u pro from Asus' own site and the error disappeared but when returning, the error remains on Asuswrt-Merlin

Had this problem in the previous version and the same error on the alpha now the one I'm testing

Otherwise, I like Asuswrt-Merlin better than Asus' own

Attachments

• 1000000388.png
    1000000388.png
    67.1 KB · Views: 104
Hi, I'm wondering what the problem is right away as I only have the problem on the rt-ax86u pro and on the rt-ax86u it works perfectly without this message of mastiff as a spammer in the log and I tested the rt-ax86u pro from Asus' own site and the error disappeared but when returning, the error remains on Asuswrt-Merlin

Had this problem in the previous version and the same error on the alpha now the one I'm testing

Otherwise, I like Asuswrt-Merlin better than Asus' own
Old and known thing - use search..!? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!