What's new

380.67, RT-AC3200 - router goes unavailable for a while

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nigel Jones

Regular Contributor
I'm getting some odd behaviour with my 3200 I've not yet pinned down.

Last night I was in bed (tired) and tried to play some music on my sonos system. It would play for a while then stop, at times I hit issues with spotify, at times I couldn't even contact the speakers. I went to sleep.

This morning I noticed intermittent periods - some up to many minutes long, where I could not reach my router (on 10.9.0.1) via ping from a lan (powerline), or wifi (5 Ghz) connection - three different PCs & a phone. Packets were mostly dropped, some arriving with high latency

After a few minutes things went back to normal and I could login/ssh in & see the router stayed up, and the only events in the system log were sadly hidden with reports like:
Aug 13 10:13:47 kernel: net_ratelimit: 550 callbacks suppressed
Aug 13 10:13:52 kernel: net_ratelimit: 430 callbacks suppressed
Aug 13 10:14:03 kernel: net_ratelimit: 517 callbacks suppressed

I'm slightly suspicious that a few weeks ago I put the "FreshJR" script in place, but this should only be modifying the tagging of packets. I of course am using the latest merlin and have QOS on.

My upstream router (cable, virgin media) seems clean & no recent errors (and in any case this wouldn't affect local traffic/reaching router)

I'm inclined to try the latest alpha anyway - though I can't see anything that might affect this area. If that doesn't work I might disable first FreshJR, then QOS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!