What's new

[384.18_Alpha Builds] Testing all variants

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just updated my AC86U from 384.17. Everything is working alright, however there is something in the webinterface I did not mention in 384.17.

On the right top corner there is now an icon to adjust the adaptive QoS. In the menu on the left there is an option "Open NAT" without an icon before it.

oTNZI9S.png
I saw this too on my first installation of the previous Alpha, it was fixed by doing one more reboot.

Upgraded 18alpha on my AC86. First attempt at a very dirty upgrade didn't take. Ejected both USB drives and removed them. Then the upgrade then went fine with one quirk which was my 5 Ghz guest network to which my IoT devices connect. To get them to reconnect I had to toggle the 5Ghz radio off and on.

The new alpha version is working fine. Thank you Merlin.

UPDATE:

The IoT devices that are connected to the third 5 Ghz guest network do no show up in the network map. They do show up in the wireless log, the devices are on line and responsive and when I look at their status and settings in their GUI they do show a connected to the 5 Ghz radios guest network.

Last edited:
I think it is safe to say at this point that it is always a better practice to use the built-in USB "Eject" function before attempting a firmware upgrade. It had been hit or miss whether one would "take" previously, but seems to consistently work every time with the USB drive(s) ejected.

Because they sure know about you, and that you are building better frimwares that they do. They want to complicate you things.

We frequently exchange emails (sometimes they are the ones emailing me asking for my opinion on something), they upload GPL releases on my FTP site so I can get access to them earlier (and on a few occasions they provided GPL releases that weren't uploaded to the website), and they send me free routers to work on. So obviously, they are NOT trying to make my work harder, quite the opposite.

It removes the delay between WAN DHCP attempts after a failure (default/Aggressive is 20 sec, Normal is 160 sec, Continuous is zero seconds).

Which means if you enable that and you don't need it, you run the risk of your ISP blacklisting your MAC address. Spectrum in one ISP that is a bit anal on this for instance, if requests are sent faster than a given threshold, they will blacklist you. They are the reason that led to the inmplementation of seprate "Aggressive" (the old standard which they disliked) and "Normal" modes (with more relaxed timings within their timing thresholds).

On the right top corner there is now an icon to adjust the adaptive QoS. In the menu on the left there is an option "Open NAT" without an icon before it.

Force reload the page or clear your browser cache. This requires an updated CSS file, your browser still has the old version in cache.

Now it displays the icon. But is it a new option, I did never seen it before in the webinterface, a very fancy and colorful page where you can select some games:

VeyXD48.png

Didn't see anybody mention this, unless I missed it, that the RT-AC66U_B1 has these new options for "Game" and "Open NAT". Also now available under the "Wireless - Professional" settings is a new option for "Modulation Scheme".

Updated my RT-AC86U to 384.18_alpha1-gb66d5282dd.

Minor issue: the Firmware Upgrade tab shows 384.18_alpha1-gb66d5282dd, but after a few seconds that changes to 384.18_alpha1-gb66d5282d (the last "d" is removed).

(I already cleared my cache and tried again; same behavior)

Which means if you enable that and you don't need it, you run the risk of your ISP blacklisting your MAC address. Spectrum in one ISP that is a bit anal on this for instance, if requests are sent faster than a given threshold, they will blacklist you. They are the reason that led to the inmplementation of seprate "Aggressive" (the old standard which they disliked) and "Normal" modes (with more relaxed timings within their timing thresholds).

Spectrum was better and also a lot more fun when it was Time Warner Cable a few years ago, before Charter bought them and made it all less fun as Spectrum. It took Motorola (networks not Lenovo) a couple months to get Spectrum to update their provisioning for the newer DOCSIS 3 and 3.1 cable modems so they would allow IPv6. Kudus to Motorola Networks & Spectrum for getting it done though. Sorry for digressing!

Just noticed that irritating every spinning wheel on VPN Server 1 is back. I am able to connect from the WAN just fine. DDNS is resolved correctly to my public IP. The spinning wheel was an issue with firmware versions up to and including 16 but the spinning wheel was gone in 17.

@RMerlin Open Nat is available in AP mode. Should it be? On my AC68U it is, using this latest alpha.

i have installed latest alpha over the last alpha using the 'dirty upgrade' procedure. have noticed that I can't connect to the web gui at all now. Rebooted router and it was fine but has happened again today. Anyone else experience this issue? Haven't seen anything in the logs and I use the enhanced logging plugin. Should I reapply the update again?

should say that I have a RT-AC86u

Updated my RT-AC86U to 384.18_alpha1-gb66d5282dd.

Minor issue: the Firmware Upgrade tab shows 384.18_alpha1-gb66d5282dd, but after a few seconds that changes to 384.18_alpha1-gb66d5282d (the last "d" is removed).

(I already cleared my cache and tried again; same behavior)

Asus hardcodes a max version length within the closed source cfg_sync components and it's too short for these test build strings. Nothing I can do about, it's only visible with these test builds that have a git hash appended to their version strings.

ZERO change to the RT-AC5300 wireless code.
Thank you for the info. As in previous cases .. I can only observe what I notice and measure. :-D

Smooth update to 384.13_9-g3080f55535 on 87u
Thanks RMerlin :)

i have installed latest alpha over the last alpha using the 'dirty upgrade' procedure. have noticed that I can't connect to the web gui at all now. Rebooted router and it was fine but has happened again today. Anyone else experience this issue? Haven't seen anything in the logs and I use the enhanced logging plugin. Should I reapply the update again?

should say that I have a RT-AC86u

Only way to get back into the Router GUI was to run service restart_httpd from terminal.

will watch to see if this happens again.

Only way to get back into the Router GUI was to run service restart_httpd from terminal.

will watch to see if this happens again.
@jata. Happend to me several times and it was always related to Firefox. Other browsers did just work. After resetting Firefox I could log-on normally again. I just think it has something to do with SSL en verifying certificates.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!