What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but TrendMicro can't see the content of your browsing. It can see the destinations, and the ports, but content itself is encrypted. Since Snowden, pretty much all web traffic has become encrypted (i.e going via https rather than http), and the router does not have access to your private key in the operating system, so even if it intercepts the traffic, it can't decrypt it. So while TrendMicro knows that you visited this forum, it does not know what you posted.

Once again (I feel like I'm repeating myself, but here it is for one final time), they do not COLLECT data. If you don't understand the exact wording used in a EULA, then don't read EULAs, or have a lawyer explain it to you, because it doesn't mean what you think (and claim) it does.

The purpose of the EULA is simply to protect themselves at the legal level. EULAs are always way, way broader than what is happening in reality, so they can't be sued if later down the road someone discovers they received more information than they even expected to receive through the use of their service. Some features, like the malicious website blocking, requires data about the web connections to be sent to Trend Micro's servers, where it's compared against their extensive identification database. It allows them to classify that site as being safe, malicious, with adult content, etc... That info is sent back to your router, who will know then know whether to allow or block it.

They do not collect the data with the intention of compiling all of your personal information, and selling/abusing/decorating christmas trees with it. Their lawyers require them to disclose what type of information MAY BE SHARED with them, for the purpose of providing you with the service. It's simply how the service itself works. And they also use the same EULA for a wide range of services, not just specifically those you enable on your router. If you don't want a server to be able to tell you if the website you want to visit is malicious, then just disable the frigging service, and stop foaming at the mouth claiming that Trend Micro is trying to steal all your data with the intent of dominating the world, and taking over your personal life. That is NOT the intention.

Enough already with the tinfoil hats. If some people truly need to spot companies that are trying to purposedly collect your data for nefarious purposes, start with the social medias, which offer a free service by covering their fees over reselling your personal data, or using it for advertising purposes. Trend Micro is a security company, not an advertisement company. They have zero commercial need for your personal information.

The fact that you never even tell Trend Micro what your name or your email address is when you enable the service should be proof enough: they have zero, no, zilch idea who YOU are.

Trend Micro has over 20+ years of reputation as a security service provider. They are used by large, major corporations to secure networks. I myself used their server products for the past 15+ years with customer servers.

Trend Micro is not Google or Facebook. You are chasing the wrong target.

To those who decided to go nuts on this specific case, I dare you to tell us that you also read every single EULA of every single products you use. Because if you had, you would have noticed that a lot of other services out there have very similar terms.

I'm done with this whole discussion. If some people can't understand English, then this is not my problem.

Once again (I feel like I'm repeating myself, but here it is for one final time), they do not COLLECT data. If you don't understand the exact wording used in a EULA, then don't read EULAs, or have a lawyer explain it to you, because it doesn't mean what you think (and claim) it does.

The purpose of the EULA is simply to protect themselves at the legal level. EULAs are always way, way broader than what is happening in reality, so they can't be sued if later down the road someone discovers they received more information than they even expected to receive through the use of their service. Some features, like the malicious website blocking, requires data about the web connections to be sent to Trend Micro's servers, where it's compared against their extensive identification database. It allows them to classify that site as being safe, malicious, with adult content, etc... That info is sent back to your router, who will know then know whether to allow or block it.

They do not collect the data with the intention of compiling all of your personal information, and selling/abusing/decorating christmas trees with it. Their lawyers require them to disclose what type of information MAY BE SHARED with them, for the purpose of providing you with the service. It's simply how the service itself works. And they also use the same EULA for a wide range of services, not just specifically those you enable on your router. If you don't want a server to be able to tell you if the website you want to visit is malicious, then just disable the frigging service, and stop foaming at the mouth claiming that Trend Micro is trying to steal all your data with the intent of dominating the world, and taking over your personal life. That is NOT the intention.

Enough already with the tinfoil hats. If some people truly need to spot companies that are trying to purposedly collect your data for nefarious purposes, start with the social medias, which offer a free service by covering their fees over reselling your personal data, or using it for advertising purposes. Trend Micro is a security company, not an advertisement company. They have zero commercial need for your personal information.

The fact that you never even tell Trend Micro what your name or your email address is when you enable the service should be proof enough: they have zero, no, zilch idea who YOU are.

Trend Micro has over 20+ years of reputation as a security service provider. They are used by large, major corporations to secure networks. I myself used their server products for the past 15+ years with customer servers.

Trend Micro is not Google or Facebook. You are chasing the wrong target.

To those who decided to go nuts on this specific case, I dare you to tell us that you also read every single EULA of every single products you use. Because if you had, you would have noticed that a lot of other services out there have very similar terms.

I'm done with this whole discussion. If some people can't understand English, then this is not my problem.
Mic drop!

"then just disable the frigging service" Okay. That's what I did!

The same moment I saw they willingly will cooperate with .gov (i.e. NSA,GQHC, FSB and whats not.) and give them your data if they request it.

Plus they do not nearly clear enough ensure in writing that they WILL protect the data in a way I find enough, they do not write/show/prove that they delete data etc.

Do I have something to hide? Yes I have a frigging private life! And do not want the gov i.e. uncontrolled NSA etc. to have that kind of totally free access to any and all Internet data from our house.

And they do know the exact address(IP,Mac, Inet profile..) of you! When they have your Inet data, they have everything needed incl. email adr. etc., enough to profile you and come knocking on your door.

Calling people names like tinfoil hats is not worthy of a super moderator!
Using straw men comparisons that in no way has a place in this discussion isn't very grown up.

And yes it is clear for most in here that some of this data is necessary for them to give the best service, security, qos etc. Please do not act like people protecting their private life are idiots!

Last edited:
"then just disable the frigging service" Okay. That's what I did!

The same moment I saw they willingly will cooperate with .gov (i.e. NSA,GQHC, FSB and whats not.) and give them your data if they request it.

Plus they do not nearly clear enough ensure in writing that they WILL protect the data in a way I find enough, they do not write/show/prove that they delete data etc.

Do I have something to hide? Yes I have a frigging private life! And do not want the gov i.e. uncontrolled NSA etc. to have that kind of totally free access to any and all Internet data from our house.

And they do know the exact address(IP,Mac, Inet profile..) of you! When they have your Inet data, they have everything needed incl. email adr. etc., enough to profile you and come knocking on your door.

Calling people names like tinfoil hats is not worthy of a super moderator!
Using straw men comparisons that in no way has a place in this discussion isn't very grown up.

And yes it is clear for most in here that some of this data is necessary for them to give the best service, security, qos etc. Please do not act like people protecting their private life are idiots!

If you are worried about the NSA knocking on your door it's probably best you stay off the internet. It's pretty hard to stop everything logging, and collecting, data.

You probably shouldn't even use ASUS routers if you're that worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!