What's new

[ 386.4 alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirty upgrade last evening from 386.3_2 to 386.4_alpha3-g092f25da96 on a RT-AC86U. No issues to report so far (for all the currently used options) !!!

I don't know. I believe they are working on new service with user selectable block categories, similar to OpenDNS/NextDNS, etc. I don't use AdGuard services, but I've noticed DNS IP's were changed recently and the Website was updated. I had fast local servers in Toronto, now DoT servers appear down and the only regular one around is somewhere in USA. Definitely something is going on there. Wait and see what they are going to come up with.
OK, understood.

AdGuard is launching a new service called AdGuard-DNS. Essentially, it is the current AdGuard Home product but instead of the end consumer hosting it on their own servers/VPS/local machines, AdGuard will host the same product on the cloud and make it accessible for a subscription price.
It includes a better GUI and some granular controls, but the product is essentially based on AdGuard Home, even the code libraries are significantly shared.
This has been in the works for many months now… so I would not hold my breath for a release.

Ypur post gave me the impression that you were somehow aware of some bugs they were fixing; hence my query.

No, the local DNS servers simply disappeared and the DoT servers don't respond. AdGuard wants a chunk from paid filtered DNS services business. This is unrelated to Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin. Other public DNS services work properly in both firmware versions.

No, the local DNS servers simply disappeared and the DoT servers don't respond. AdGuard wants a chunk from paid filtered DNS services business. This is unrelated to Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin. Other public DNS services work properly in both firmware versions.
Does that mean I should remove AdGuard from available presets?

Unsure at this point, but if Tech9’s correct, Adguard may well be transitioning to a paid scenario?
I knew this was happening, but assumed it was ‘as well as’, not ‘instead of’.:(

Still the same servers on their Web, but also a new user customizable AdGuardDNS service with "Message me at launch" button. I don't use AdGuard and discovered missing local servers and non-working DoT only after @Treadler mentioned issues in Asuswrt firmware section. We have to wait and see what is going to happen, I guess. It was an easy ad-block alternative before, hopefully they keep the free DNS services.

Still the same servers on their Web, but also a new user customizable AdGuardDNS service with "Message me at launch" button. I don't use AdGuard and discovered missing local servers and non-working DoT only after @Treadler mentioned issues in Asuswrt firmware section. We have to wait and see what is going to happen, I guess. It was an easy ad-block alternative before, hopefully they keep the free DNS services.
Probably better to block ads locally anyways. At least there is some level of control on what gets blocked. I imagine they will keep a free dns service going that doesn't support ad blocking.

for what it is worth... dirty flashed from alpha 2 to alpha 3 and openvpn client would not resolve url -
Dec 12 06:55:06 ovpn-client1[11125]: Could not determine IPv4/IPv6 protocol
Dec 12 06:55:06 ovpn-client1[11125]: SIGUSR1[soft,init_instance] received, process restarting
Dec 12 06:55:06 ovpn-client1[11125]: Restart pause, 5 second(s)
Dec 12 06:55:11 ovpn-client1[11125]: NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts
Dec 12 06:55:11 ovpn-client1[11125]: RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: <vpn provider>.com:1234 (No address associated with hostname)
Dec 12 06:55:11 ovpn-client1[11125]: RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: <vpn provider>.com:1234 (No address associated with hostname)
- dirty flashed back to alpha2 all okay dirty flashed back to alpha3 same thing. inserted custom config 'proto udp4' working as expected using 'proto udp6' breaks functionality. ipv6 native setup with comcast. all other functionality appears to be working as expected.

DDNS update to No-IP is not working on AC86U running Alpha 4. Update failed and yellow exclamation mark. Issue perhaps reported already.
Works on 3 AX86U for reference. I had to transition from dnsomatic due to issues their side back to No-IP and it works fine. I have an AC86U as well, but haven't tested that as yet.
Merlin had updated inadyn for ddns.

Works on 3 AX86U for reference.

Works on the latest Dec 10 alpha3, the router was on the previous Nov 27 one. Thank you!

With the alpha 3 on ax88u I get the following entries in the log without a break:
PCP MAP: failed to add mapping UDP 5354->192.168.1.115:5353

for what it is worth... dirty flashed from alpha 2 to alpha 3 and openvpn client would not resolve url -
Dec 12 06:55:06 ovpn-client1[11125]: SIGUSR1[soft,init_instance] received, process restarting
Dec 12 06:55:11 ovpn-client1[11125]: NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts
- dirty flashed back to alpha2 all okay dirty flashed back to alpha3 same thing. inserted custom config 'proto udp4' working as expected using 'proto udp6' breaks functionality. ipv6 native setup with comcast. all other functionality appears to be working as expected.

Same behavior here (Comcast native IPv6, AX88 VPN site-to-site tunnel to another AX88 - far end still running 386.3_2).

i don’t believe that AdGuard free service is disappearing. Their new product is in addition to the free service (much like what NextDNS is doing). The existing AdGuard service will remain like CloudFlare, Quad9, Google, etc…

@RMerlin
As an additional query, if I were to use my own hosted DNS server (fully supports DoT, DoH, customisable AdBlocking, etc…)

I am aware that I can type in the IP address, port number, TLS address as a custom entry. However, all queries are being received as plain DNS only because the root CA of the server is missing.

I have found no means of adding the root CA cert of my hosted DNS server to the router?
How can I accomplish adding another cert to the router?
Trying to copy a cert file to /etc/certs gives a ‘read-only’ error (as expected).

On alpha 3 for ac5300 for past 3 days. No issues other than DDNS registration for no-ip.com is displaying an exclamation mark on the Network Map page and displaying the error message "Request error! Please try again." The DDNS registration is still working as my WAN address has changed since being on alpha 3 and my DDNS address did get updated to reflect my latest WAN address. From checking older posts it looks like a number of other alpha 3 users have had the same problem.
Have performed dirty upgrade to the latest alpha 3 version and the DDNS registration issue is fixed. So far no problems found.

What he said! ;)
I'm actually kinda surprised b/g is still kinda a thing, but the world is a big diverse place. There are probably more use cases (still!) than I can consider.

I'd have to look, but I probably have a couple or 3 802.11b/g routers that still work in a box in the basement. DM if you are interested in one/any.

Last edited:
After some short-lived misconduct and a reboot, Alpha 3 rocks! It is coming on 2 days of steady operation, & I'm satisfied. The VPN works as usual, the log is running no unusual items, WiFi on my router didn't auto check the disable '11b,'and that keeps things steady here!-)

Same. No OpenVPN on 386.4_alpha3-g092f25da96. I tried the aforementioned proto udp4 manually in my config with no success as well.

Code:
Dec 12 15:40:37 rc_service: httpd 475:notify_rc start_vpnclient3
Dec 12 15:40:38 ovpn-client3[6210]: OpenVPN 2.5.4 arm-unknown-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on Dec  9 2021
Dec 12 15:40:38 ovpn-client3[6210]: library versions: OpenSSL 1.1.1l  24 Aug 2021, LZO 2.08
Dec 12 15:40:38 ovpn-client3[6211]: WARNING: --ping should normally be used with --ping-restart or --ping-exit
Dec 12 15:40:38 ovpn-client3[6211]: NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts
Dec 12 15:40:38 ovpn-client3[6211]: Outgoing Control Channel Authentication: Using 512 bit message hash 'SHA512' for HMAC authentication
Dec 12 15:40:38 ovpn-client3[6211]: Incoming Control Channel Authentication: Using 512 bit message hash 'SHA512' for HMAC authentication
Dec 12 15:40:38 ovpn-client3[6211]: RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: 185.XXX.XXX.XXX:1194 (ai_family not supported)
Dec 12 15:40:38 ovpn-client3[6211]: RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: 185.XXX.XXX.XXX:1194 (ai_family not supported)
Dec 12 15:40:38 ovpn-client3[6211]: Could not determine IPv4/IPv6 protocol
Dec 12 15:40:38 ovpn-client3[6211]: SIGUSR1[soft,init_instance] received, process restarting

Instead of going back to last alpha where it was working, I just disabled ipv6 to test.

On Comcast and if I disable IPV6 completely, it works fine.

Still getting the mesh client errors, but I believe someone said, those should just be ignored and was ASUS dev who forgot to turn off a flag. Can someone confirm?

Code:
Dec 12 16:32:59 kernel: 0X:4X:8C:CE:5X:2X not mesh client, can't delete it
Dec 12 16:32:59 kernel: 7X:45:61:X7:13:X3 not exist in UDB, can't delete it
Dec 12 16:33:00 kernel: 0X:07:XD:70:D7:7X not exist in UDB, can't delete it
Dec 12 16:33:00 kernel: BX:BC:5B:4X:07:X6 not mesh client, can't delete it
Dec 12 16:33:00 kernel: D8:F1:5XB:D2:99:XB not mesh client, can't delete it
Dec 12 16:33:00 kernel: X0:X3:8C:3B:9X:28 not mesh client, can't delete it

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!