What's new

[ 386.4 alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the same earlier today (Internet status: Disconnected) Upgraded from alpha 2 to the new alpha 3. Did some reboots but did not help, But then i remembered reading something about it.. "dns.msftnci.com probes"
Had some lines saved in my notepad++
Code:
dns.msftnci.com probes:
To permanently disable the probing enter this into the terminal, probing will stop immediately:
Code:
nvram set dns_probe=0;nvram set dns_probe_content=;nvram commit
To restore it, enter this:
Code:
nvram set dns_probe=0;nvram set dns_probe_content='131.107.255.255 112.4.20.71 fd3e:4f5a:5b81::1';nvram commit
Entered the last line in my ssh client and now the Internet status is good again.
Ah, that's it I've disabled mine long time ago, it's a bug then. Why would a router depend in continues dns probe/ping just to show the status of the internet connection and without it, it doesn't show the true status. If that's the case I'd rather it show disconnected than the router probing continously. :(

Last edited:
Performed a dirty upgrade on an RT_AX3000 from RT-AX58U_386.4_alpha2-g952c6bdecc to RT-AX58U_386.4_alpha3-g092f25da96. Basics are fine. However, /opt has now changed to a directory with a 'scripts' subdirectory, rather than the previous symlink, 'opt -> tmp/opt'. I've changed my usb_mount script to adjust and rebooted, and am back to my "normal", so not a major issue.

Performed a dirty upgrade on an RT_AX3000 from RT-AX58U_386.4_alpha2-g952c6bdecc to RT-AX58U_386.4_alpha3-g092f25da96. Basics are fine. However, /opt has now changed to a directory with a 'scripts' subdirectory, rather than the previous symlink, 'opt -> tmp/opt'. I've changed my usb_mount script to adjust and rebooted, and am back to my "normal", so not a major issue.
Well now you've made me rather reluctant because isn't: opt -> /tmp/mnt/sda1/entware
And if my entware BREAKS... I loose a lot of functionality.
Hmmmmm (Sometimes I hate myself for having tied so many things to my router... but when its all working, It's very slick)

Could you to exact, how you did that?

Could you to exact, how you did that?
I use the nvram variable 'script_usbmount' to define a script to run after my USB drive is mounted. I chose it instead of the Merlin user scripts as it's recognized in both the stock Asus firmware as well as Merlin firmware. In the stock firmware there is a RO opt directory holding symlinks to various subdirectories like etc, bin, and usr, all pointing into /tmp/opt/... while Merlin firmware had just the symlink opt->/tmp/opt. So, I was able to remount my USB drive on /tmp/opt regardless of which firmware I was running.

To address the change to /opt in this alpha3, I changed my usb_mount script to recursively copy the scripts subdirectory into /tmp/mnt/sda1, followed by my previously coded umount, fsck and remount sequence, with a second difference being that /dev/sda1 now mounts directly on /opt instead of on /tmp/opt. I'd already had /opt/bin in the PATH, avoiding any /tmp/opt reference (although I did have a couple which I've now corrected).

[An additional thought, a few hours later.] After mounting /dev/sda1 on /opt, one could always create a symlink in /tmp to point back to /opt, e.g. 'ln -s /opt /tmp/opt' if that would be helpful.

Last edited:
So does this mean if i install IPv6 no longer works ?

- NEW: IPv6 support for OpenVPN server. Allows connecting over
your WAN's IPv6, and also reach LAN clients over their
IPv6. Internet traffic over IPv6 does NOT work

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed the latest build 386.4_alpha3-g092f25da96 on my AX86U and everything went smooth.

One minor thing I noticed is that DNS-probing to dns.msftncsi.com suddenly started again every 15 seconds even though I have "DNS Query" disabled under Administration->System->Network Monitoring. I will run the old script to disable it, but maybe something needs to be fixed behind the curtains?!

UPDATE: Noticed the WAN-led turned red when disabling it, so guess I'll have to let the router keep pinging...

Code:
nvram set dns\_probe=0
nvram set dns\_probe_content=
nvram commit
also my WAN-led stays on (either blue/red) even when switched off with the physical button behind the router. RT-AC68U

Hey @RMerlin

Just reporting an issue with Alpha 3. I noticed a new "Disable 11b" in the WiFi General options as found below.
Once disabled, that's it, it's game over for 802.11b. A hard reset was needed to allow 8011b again, I couldn't re-enable it for the life of me.

View attachment 37699

What would be the reason for disabling 11b on a router? I'm thinking here of a typical home network application, nothing fancy.

After flashing alpha 3 to my Rt ac 5300, my clock will not set on reboots, and my internet no longer works with wan dns1 and 2 left blank.

I'm going to add another comment about the WAN LED and the GUI Network Map under alpha3. My WAN LED is always red, and the Network Map in the GUI briefly shows a working internet link, then gets overwritten with "Internet Disconnected". This briefly correct, then incorrect behavior is reproducible just by clicking the browser's 'Reload' button.

I'm using DNS-over-TLS. The LED turned white in previous releases when the link came up, and I haven't changed WAN settings. Plus, I know the WAN link is working, since I'm logged into here through it.

Any ideas?

Running the latest alpha3 on an AX56, and all is well, apart from a broken Entware, which seems to be due (as noted above) to the change from /opt (a symlink to /tmp/opt/xxx/entware/ in 386.3) to a folder /opt containing the symlink. I have not managed to get it fixed as suggested and I'd expect it to work out of the box once 386_3 becomes stable.

Also, trying to installing a fresh copy of Entware using amtm fails, with no error message (there is one, but it's overwritten by amtm UI).

Running the latest alpha3 on an AX56, and all is well, apart from a broken Entware, which seems to be due (as noted above) to the change from /opt (a symlink to /tmp/opt/xxx/entware/ in 386.3) to a folder /opt containing the symlink. I have not managed to get it fixed as suggested and I'd expect it to work out of the box once 386_3 becomes stable.

Also, trying to installing a fresh copy of Entware using amtm fails, with no error message (there is one, but it's overwritten by amtm UI).
Yep, I've encountered the same Entware installation issue. Looks like the issue is with the /opt directory. I don't have the expertise to fix it myself, unfortunately. So if anyone has a temporary fix, I'd appreciate it :)

So does this mean if i install IPv6 no longer works ?

- NEW: IPv6 support for OpenVPN server. Allows connecting over
your WAN's IPv6, and also reach LAN clients over their
IPv6. Internet traffic over IPv6 does NOT work
As this entry says, this is related to remotely connecting to an OpenVPN server. Reaching LAN devices over IPv6 will work, but not redirecting Internet traffic through the VPN.

After flashing alpha 3 to my Rt ac 5300, my clock will not set on reboots, and my internet no longer works with wan dns1 and 2 left blank.
A working Internet connection is needed for the clock to synchronize, and DNS servers are needed for the Internet connection to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!