What's new

386.7.2 Adaptive QOS Wan/Lan Bandwidth monitor broken AC68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eastavin

Hi. Is it just me or did this break in the last firmware version update? I could swear it was working fine for the longest time in the year gone by.

The bandwith monitor reports virtually all traffic as upload and the download only barely budges occasionally. The only add-on running here is Flex QOS which come to think of it I updated recently to version 1.3.2. This is happening on a Asus RT-AC68U h/w ver c1.

Ed

Hi. Is it just me or did this break in the last firmware version update? I could swear it was working fine for the longest time in the year gone by.

The bandwith monitor reports virtually all traffic as upload and the download only barely budges occasionally. The only add-on running here is Flex QOS which come to think of it I updated recently to version 1.3.2. This is happening on a Asus RT-AC68U h/w ver c1.

Ed
If you are running a VPN this would be why. It's a long standing issue of Asus's.

If you are running a VPN this would be why. It's a long standing issue of Asus's.
Running? If you mean a user logged in by vpn not at this time... If you mean is one VPN configured and standing by yes.. there is one OpenVPN server set up on this unit. That said I could swear if I went back to the summer time this was working ok.

Running? If you mean a user logged in by vpn not at this time... If you mean is one VPN configured and standing by yes.. there is one OpenVPN server set up on this unit. That said I could swear if I went back to the summer time this was working ok.
Normally if you see this it's because traffic is flowing through the VPN, it reverses the bandwidth monitor, there may be other things in the firmware that cause this but I haven't found one. This is a long, long standing issue of Asus's. I'm talking about a OVPN or Wireguard client.

I haven't tested the server side of things.

I assume it would be the same result though.

I did some more fiddling with my coffee this morning. I noticed the other day that when someone makes a voip call with the cicso ATA the bandwidth monitor displays correctly. I also tried some speed tests and concluded that it was not a complete reversal... Downloads were being displayed as uploads, but uploads were uploads from what i saw. Oddly some speed tests showed correctly one time and then the download flipped to upload another time... seemed to happen with speedtest.net the most while all the other speed tests typically had the download wrong all the time. (I think speedtest.net does their tests with the highest priority packets not entirely positive)

Then I recalled your comment about VPN reversing things. I also recalled a period when Netflix would accuse me of accessing their service using a VPN when I was not... what was being used was the IPv6in4 tunnel from Hurricane.

So I disabled the IPV6in4 connection from Tunnelbroker and the display instantly became correct again. So I guess you can add to the list that IPV6in4 in the IPV6 feature messes up the Bandwidth monitor display along with VPN as @skeal noted. Perhaps its something about the class of the packet or traffic level that makes the Asus router report the download differently?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!