What's new

5ghz is broken on my ASUS RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

reebool

Occasional Visitor
Hello guys,

I have a big problem with this router, the 5ghz band is broken and I can't fix it despite a nvram erase and factory reboot. The firmware doesn't change anything (currently the last Asus merlin and I tried the last Asus firmware)

As you can see "rc_service: watchdog 780:notify_rc start_cfgsync" is spammed
The wifi icon is not fully white and there is no 5ghz wifi channel anymore

I upload screenshot from the GUI

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2019-10-09 à 14.20.43.png
    Capture d’écran 2019-10-09 à 14.20.43.png
    256.3 KB · Views: 230
  • Capture d’écran 2019-10-09 à 14.21.52.png
    Capture d’écran 2019-10-09 à 14.21.52.png
    226.5 KB · Views: 261
What is the status in the Professional tab?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good luck op, this router doesn't deserve to be the successor to the legendary 68u:(. the failure rates must be way above the regular industry standards. if you still have it under warranty just replace it.

good luck op, this router doesn't deserve to be the successor to the legendary 68u:(. the failure rates must be way above the regular industry standards. if you still have it under warranty just replace it.

Easier said than done. The RMA process with ASUS doesn't necessarily get you a new router. They first try to repair yours and give it a perfunctory performance test at best. If they decide they can't repair your router they send you another returned unit, which based on my experience, is probably someone else's problem child which ASUS hoped they could fix by reflashing the firmware and wiping the router down with a polishing cloth. I went through five RMAs before getting what based on seven days up time seems to be a functioning router. I started the process in June and received my last replacement router on October 3rd. I had to buy an AC1900P to use as my N66 could not handle my network's requirements over the past four months.

And to add insult to injury ASUS requires you to pay the shipping cost to them.

Easier said than done. The RMA process with ASUS doesn't necessarily get you a new router. They first try to repair yours and give it a perfunctory performance test at best. If they decide they can't repair your router they send you another returned unit, which based on my experience, is probably someone else's problem child which ASUS hoped they could fix by reflashing the firmware and wiping the router down with a polishing cloth. I went through five RMAs before getting what based on seven days up time seems to be a functioning router. I started the process in June and received my last replacement router on October 3rd. I had to buy an AC1900P to use as my N66 could not handle my network's requirements over the past four months.

And to add insult to injury ASUS requires you to pay the shipping cost to them.

i know about all of it first hand unfortunately. i have a thread similar to this one with a used 86u i got to use as a node that got replaced by a unit that worked for three days before starting to behave badly. i honestly didn't know how bad was it until i browsed this forum and the amazon reviews cause i already had an older 86u that's working like a champ.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!