What's new

AB-Solution 1.0 release

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If I'm not mistaken the someonewhocares.org hosts file already has the Windows telemetry blocks, they are commented out though.
Even if you add them that does not help much, Windows finds other ways to contact home.

Just a small question.
I have a very very old USB Stick with 60MB capacity. I assume it's very slow, too. Does it matter or can I use such a stick ?
(I'm not sure if you are working on the device all the time or just for the update)

Just a small question.
I have a very very old USB Stick with 60MB capacity. I assume it's very slow, too. Does it matter or can I use such a stick ?
(I'm not sure if you are working on the device all the time or just for the update)
I'm sure it'll work just fine. And 60 MB is plenty for AB-Solution. I'm not sure what the future holds, but the space requirement will increase with the next versions as addons and a web interface need some room on it. Still 60 MB will suffice.

Last edited:
I'm sure it'll work justnfine. And 60 MB is plenty for AB-Solution. I'm not sure what the future holds, but the space requirement will increase with the next versions as addons and a web interface need som room on it. Still 60 MB will suffice.
I just wouldn't necessarily enable logging, depending on your Internet usage... ;-)

Hi,
I'm trying to install this on my router AC87U with 380.57.7_HGG-FINAL without success.
I'm zero on Linux so I'm executing without any understanding of what I'm doing.
Maybe somebody can help me... I'm a good windows user :)
So until now I run on SSH client:
"wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/decoderman/AB-Solution/master/ab-solution.sh --no-check-certificate" - it worked ok.
for "admin@RT-AC87U-FCB8:/tmp/home/root# ls" I have the answer: "ab-solution.sh"
Then I tried...
"admin@RT-AC87U-FCB8:/tmp/home/root# sh ab-solution.sh"
after "i" for install I receive the message
"No ext2|ext3|ext4 devices available. Exiting..."
and it is returning to AB menu.

What I'm doing wrong?
Thank you in advance!

do you have USB stick in router? It looks that missing usb stick in your case....

sent from Kodi 17 Krypton

Cool! It worked!
Now, it is ok to remove the USB or it is needed all the time for this functionality?

Can't be saved somewhere else, like JFFS ? I need that port for the external HDD :)

Can't be saved somewhere else, like JFFS ? I need that port for the external HDD :)
Put it on the external HDD. Put a ext3 partition on it if you need to?

Cool! It worked!
Now, it is ok to remove the USB or it is needed all the time for this functionality?
Every time dnsmasq restarts it reads in the hosts file. If that file isn't available to be read, then those hosts won't be blocked.

Thank you! I will use it in this way... but it will be nice to have it working as part of router without external accessories to not depend on HDD which can be removed anytime.
I will follow the future development of this, maybe on v2 will be independent on external accessories.
There are ~60MB free on JFFS on my case. Maybe can be used that.
Thx all

Thank you! I will use it in this way... but it will be nice to have it working as part of router without external accessories to not depend on HDD which can be removed anytime.
I will follow the future development of this, maybe on v2 will be independent on external accessories.
There are ~60MB free on JFFS on my case. Maybe can be used that.
Thx all
That's not going to happen. Future versions will write even more data to the disk. I'm not going to release a light version for jffs only.

That's not going to happen. Future versions will write even more data to the disk. I'm not going to release a light version for jffs only.
Good to know in order to find the best way to use it.
Anyway you have done a great job with this. It is working very well on my AC87U with 380.57.7_HGG-FINAL
Thank you!!!

First, thanks for this wonderful piece of software!!

I am new to this forum and Asuswrt-Merlin in general so maybe this has already been discussed -- I did search but didn't find anything.

Do most people stop using browser based ad-blocking software once AB-solution is installed? Or you typically use a "two-tiered" approach and use both?

I haven't been using it very long, but keeping the browser based ad blocker seems to have the advantage of better formatting the page after the ads are blocked. Also AB-solution doesn't seem to block certain ads as well - ie the add on yahoo mail login page.

Just curious what others are doing. Thanks again!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!