What's new

AB-Solution 1.0 release

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For a simple hack , I modified line 544 of the ab-solution.sh 1.0 script to reflect my pixelserv ip of 192.168.2.1:

Code:
cat \$dir/temp1 | sed -e 's/127.0.0.1/192.168.2.1/g' -e 's/0.0.0.0/192.168.2.1/g'  | sed \$'s/\r\$//' | grep -w ^192.168.2.1 | awk '{print \$1 " " \$2}' > \$dir/temp2

The sed statement was changed to add a double pass of the lists to change all 0.0.0.0 and 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.2.1 . And of course changed the address in the grep statement.

and line 827 of the script to:

Code:
if grep -q "192.168.2.1" $installDirPath/hosts-adblock;then

just changed address.

All appears to be working so far although the internet did choke up a bit after 20 minutes of testing but I couldn't ascertain if this was related to the mod/script or my poor cell coverage (tethered) before I had to leave computer. Should have more chances to test maybe later today, if not tomorrow.

Dex
Note: That only works if you do a fresh install, update or change the hosts file type.

Quick question. If at some point in the future I wanted to completely remove / uninstall AB-solution from the router what is the best method of doing so? I apologize in advance if this information is someplace obvious and I just missed it!
AB-Solution 1.1 will have the option to remove all versions of itself and it's predecessor.

Regarding pixelserv: Isn´t it just the swap of a single parameter in the blocklist. When i use the local ip of the pixelserv ,lets stay 192.168.2.254 and set it accoringly in the blockfile which is 0.0.0.0 right now, then it should work, correct?
Indeed, that is, if you have pixelserv installed in the first place.
AB-Solution 1.2 or later will include the automated install of it as an add-on.

Last edited:
Indeed, that is if you have pixelserv installed in the first place.
AB-Solution 1.2 or later will include the automated install of it as an add-on.

Have you made a decision yet which version you will be incorporating into AB-Solution? If you are looking for community input I would like to see one of the "tls" versions used. I am using kvic's version with good results.
Thanks for your work

Dex

Have you made a decision yet which version you will be incorporating into AB-Solution? If you are looking for community input I would like to see one of the "tls" versions used. I am using kvic's version with good results.
Thanks for your work

Dex
I have not made a decision yet. But pixelserv-tls by @kvic is currently on the top of the list. I also need scripting language support for the web interface of AB, such as my favourite, php, to render the pages.
It's not a simple decision.
Unless I drop the web interface and stick with the shell script "GUI" version. Then kvic's tls will be used.
A possible route would also be to use the internal ASUS webserver and present a simple interface via the /www/user directory.

I appreciate the dilemma. I believe we will see smarter and more web sites similar to the forbes dot com site advertising model in the future so I can see a web server with php, ssl, etc. like lightttp better suited to "fight the good fight".

Dex

I activated ipv6 address and now got ads on my 2 phones....on PC is all ok....if i disconnect ipv6 then is all fine....any solution for this?

sent from Kodi 17 Krypton

I activated ipv6 address and now got ads on my 2 phones....on PC is all ok....if i disconnect ipv6 then is all fine....any solution for this?

sent from Kodi 17 Krypton
That's because your phones got an ipv6 address and your PC still uses ipv4.
AB-Solution only works with ipv4 addresses. I have no plan of action to block v6 addresses. I'm not aware of any simple solution for that.

Sounds great! So to remove it with version 1.0 would require a factory reset?
No need to do a factory reset, the script does not change THAT much on your router.
Depending on what else you run it's as simple as deleting these two files in jffs/scripts/
- dnsmasq.postconf
- services-start

Look at them, they will have a comment on the second line saying "# generated by AB-Solution 1.0".
It's a safe bet that dnsmasq.postconf has no other entries then the ones added by my script.
It may be different for services-start but it will have 3 lines, again starting with "# generated by". If those are the only ones you can delete that file as well.

Deleting these effectively removes AB-Solution from your router - after a reboot.

The files on your USB-Device will have no effect after this, you can safely remove the adblocking directory and, if present, the file ab-solution.sh

Or you could wait until version 1.1 is out, sometime in the next two weeks.

No need to do a factory reset, the script does not change THAT much on your router.
Depending on what else you run it's as simple as deleting these two files in jffs/scripts/
- dnsmasq.postconf
- services-start

Look at them, they will have a comment on the second line saying "# generated by AB-Solution 1.0".
It's a safe bet that dnsmasq.postconf has no other entries then the ones added by my script.
It may be different for services-start but it will have 3 lines, again starting with "# generated by". If those are the only ones you can delete that file as well.

Deleting these effectively removes AB-Solution from your router - after a reboot.

The files on your USB-Device will have no effect after this, you can safely remove the adblocking directory and, if present, the file ab-solution.sh

Or you could wait until version 1.1 is out, sometime in the next two weeks.

Thanks for the very helpful response! I am new to all this and figured the "nuclear" option of factory reset would do it ;-).

Reason I am asking about this is when I turn on AB-Solution the Target.com website doesn't seem to work properly. Homepage loads up, but clicking on any of links on the page doesn't do anything, unless I right click and "open in new tab". Then a new tab opens with the correct page, but links on that page don't work. When I turn off AB-Solution Target.com website works as it should. I am not sure it is AB-Solution causing the issue (as I said, I am new to this) but it seems to be related and I was just wanted to do doing some more testing to see if I could positively isolate the issue.

Thanks for the very helpful response! I am new to all this and figured the "nuclear" option of factory reset would do it ;-).

Reason I am asking about this is when I turn on AB-Solution the Target.com website doesn't seem to work properly. Homepage loads up, but clicking on any of links on the page doesn't do anything, unless I right click and "open in new tab". Then a new tab opens with the correct page, but links on that page don't work. When I turn off AB-Solution Target.com website works as it should. I am not sure it is AB-Solution causing the issue (as I said, I am new to this) but it seems to be related and I was just wanted to do doing some more testing to see if I could positively isolate the issue.
No need to uninstall to find out if AB-Solution is the problem with target.com. If you toggle adblocking to off and the site loads fine then you can blame the blocker. I would also try the small hosts file, that may not block (required) third party inclusions by target.com. Ultimately you can blame Target for being j...s to act in such a way. If it is indeed just the ad blocking that causes it.

One of my apps on my android phone updated and since then it shows adds again. Also every once in a while it shows a 15sec movie add as overlay on the app wich i can close after the 15sec.
Any way i can block those as well?
Im running version 1 advanced scripts.

I have not made a decision yet. But pixelserv-tls by @kvic is currently on the top of the list. I also need scripting language support for the web interface of AB, such as my favourite, php, to render the pages.
It's not a simple decision.
Unless I drop the web interface and stick with the shell script "GUI" version. Then kvic's tls will be used.
A possible route would also be to use the internal ASUS webserver and present a simple interface via the /www/user directory.

For small changes to glue together, I may be able to find time and help. For bigger changes, feel free to fork pixelserv-tls if it will fit your turn-key solution :)

For small changes to glue together, I may be able to find time and help. For bigger changes, feel free to fork pixelserv-tls if it will fit your turn-key solution :)
Thanks, I will get back to you if I have questions / suggestions when I get to the point of actually tie the two together...

One of my apps on my android phone updated and since then it shows adds again. Also every once in a while it shows a 15sec movie add as overlay on the app wich i can close after the 15sec.
Any way i can block those as well?
Im running version 1 advanced scripts.
They likely have their own Ad Servers. The origins of In-App Ads are a bit harder to track down. But it is doable with logging enabled and a bit of time to look over it and find the domain/host it is served from.
But if they serve the ads from their own domain then it is not possible to block them.

The same applies for movie ads. It may or may not be possible to block them without blocking actual content from the website you are visiting.

I had the same issue and I added Target.com to my whitelist and it loads fine while still running AB-Solution.

Please release a rudimentary pixelserv version, thanks. It is really annoying when half of the mobile Browser screen is being used by a placeholder.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Please release a rudimentary pixelserv version, thanks. It is really annoying when half of the mobile Browser screen is being used by a placeholder.

I know you are being polite, but, I don't think telling the OP what he needs to do is necessary. If it is annoying to you then *YOU* do something about it. It is not @thelonelycoder 's responsibility to cater to what you think it annoying.

Not trying to be mean, just get irked when people don't appreciate the work people do on the internet for free.

well, i appreciate the work! its just i give a little feedback for future enhancements. thats what this forum is all about btw.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!