What's new

AB-Solution 1.0 release

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i do not using browser ad-block anymore....just AB-solution from asus router....

i do not using browser ad-block anymore....just AB-solution from asus router....
And so do I.
Haven't used a browser based ad-blocker since I figured out the original Adblocking with combined hosts file some time ago. I have used Untangle and other Distros to block ads before that. Then I came across this forum and ditched all other blockers.

how does it survive reboots.
how to avoid "Server not found" displaying where ads where located

how does it survive reboots.
how to avoid "Server not found" displaying where ads where located
If you leave the USB device plugged in where AB-Solution is installed on, it will of course be up and running again after a reboot...
That said, AB-Solution requires the USB device to always be plugged in.

As for the "Server not found" boxes: This is going to be an add-on in AB-Solution 1.2 or 1.3.
The 1.1 release will introduce add-ons and is under heavy development ATM. No date yet when 1.1 is ready as I am busy with other stuff.

will the 1.1 version have blocking all content from microsoft windows?

sent from Kodi 17 Krypton

will the 1.1 version have blocking all content from microsoft windows?
I hope not☺!
What will be one of the add-ons is "disable Windows 10 tracking" though...

If you leave the USB device plugged in where AB-Solution is installed on, it will of course be up and running again after a reboot...
That said, AB-Solution requires the USB device to always be plugged in.
coming from tomato and scripts usually go into "wanup" section so when router boots up it will run the script, just wandering how scripts are run or kept alive after a reboot, especially from the usb device

Is there any chance to add pixelserv and pixelserv-tls support and use 127.0.0.1 instead of 0.0.0.0 routing ? The placeholders are just ugly to watch and can be avoided. Very nice script, easy to use script. Thanks for your work!

Is there any chance to add pixelserv and pixelserv-tls support and use 127.0.0.1 instead of 0.0.0.0 routing ? The placeholders are just ugly to watch and can be avoided. Very nice script, easy to use script. Thanks for your work!
5 posts above yours...

coming from tomato and scripts usually go into "wanup" section so when router boots up it will run the script, just wandering how scripts are run or kept alive after a reboot, especially from the usb device
AB-Solution 1.o and the beta versions before that (AdBlock-wchfa) use jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf and services-start to run and schedule the scripts directly within these.
AB-Solution 1.1 and on-wards will use dnsmasq.postconf and post-mount to call scripts on the USB device to start and schedule AB-Solution.
This is done with a file link within these start scripts.
The reason for doing this is to minimize writing to the /jffs/ file system when changes are made within AB-Solution such as turning on or off logging.

And so do I.
Haven't used a browser based ad-blocker since I figured out the original Adblocking with combined hosts file some time ago. I have used Untangle and other Distros to block ads before that. Then I came across this forum and ditched all other blockers.

Thanks for your responses. I will go for a more extended trial without the browser adblock and see how it goes!

Regarding pixelserv: Isn´t it just the swap of a single parameter in the blocklist. When i use the local ip of the pixelserv ,lets stay 192.168.2.254 and set it accoringly in the blockfile which is 0.0.0.0 right now, then it should work, correct?

For a simple hack , I modified line 544 of the ab-solution.sh 1.0 script to reflect my pixelserv ip of 192.168.2.1:

Code:
cat \$dir/temp1 | sed -e 's/127.0.0.1/192.168.2.1/g' -e 's/0.0.0.0/192.168.2.1/g'  | sed \$'s/\r\$//' | grep -w ^192.168.2.1 | awk '{print \$1 " " \$2}' > \$dir/temp2

The sed statement was changed to add a double pass of the lists to change all 0.0.0.0 and 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.2.1 . And of course changed the address in the grep statement.

and line 827 of the script to:

Code:
if grep -q "192.168.2.1" $installDirPath/hosts-adblock;then

just changed address.

All appears to be working so far although the internet did choke up a bit after 20 minutes of testing but I couldn't ascertain if this was related to the mod/script or my poor cell coverage (tethered) before I had to leave computer. Should have more chances to test maybe later today, if not tomorrow.

Dex

Regarding pixelserv: Isn´t it just the swap of a single parameter in the blocklist. When i use the local ip of the pixelserv ,lets stay 192.168.2.254 and set it accoringly in the blockfile which is 0.0.0.0 right now, then it should work, correct?

Quick question. If at some point in the future I wanted to completely remove / uninstall AB-solution from the router what is the best method of doing so? I apologize in advance if this information is someplace obvious and I just missed it!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!