What's new

AB-Solution 2.0 is out! (v2.0.1)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Because I wanted to try .ki, I followed mostly this post, and the clarifications in a few followups:
pixelserv - A Better One-pixel Webserver for Adblock
I added /jffs/bin to the PATH in the entware calling file so it wouldn't throw an error.
It did strike me that the static version might give you some help with new versions, perhaps by including it in your zip file.

Because I wanted to try .ki, I followed mostly this post, and the clarifications in a few followups:
pixelserv - A Better One-pixel Webserver for Adblock
I added /jffs/bin to the PATH in the entware calling file so it wouldn't throw an error.
It did strike me that the static version might give you some help with new versions, perhaps by including it in your zip file.
I'll have to try this later today. Glancing over the current code for pixelserv integration in the 2.0.2 ab-solution.sh, I believe I could strip it down by about 50% that way. Can't wait to test it. Thanks.

I'm also slightly curious.
For simplicity of the install process, Entware is used. But I wonder if a standalone binary would also work.
Do you have a tutorial or knowledge to share of how to install it?

At the moment, the IF ELIF ELSE decision whether pixelserv-tls is available for auto-install and configuration with AB-Solution is very simple.
If no Entware installed and no pixelserv-tls found --> OK
If Entware installed, no pixelserv-tls found and package available --> Still OK
If Entware installed and pixelserve-tls found --> Sorry NOK
Only pixelserv-tls found --> Sorry NOK

I have Optware running on the R7000, is that not compatible for pixelserv ?

on the R7000
I have three Asus routers , an old Linksys and some Zyxel's to play with. Maybe even more if I dig deeper. But no one gives me a Nighthawk. Sad times.
I have Optware running on the R7000, is that not compatible for pixelserv ?
Is the package available in the repo?

I have some question with the stats reporting when running the LS command, I don't get a list of 'top 10 blocked ad domains' although on the summary menu it show that have allready '6160 host blocked'.

Below is the output report on the terminal window, its a strange behaviour

R7000 (armv7l) fw-380.61 @ 192.168.1.1 IPv6
--------------------------------------------------
941720 blocked hosts 6160 hosts blocked
on Sep 19 12:19 next update: Saturday @ 02:00
1. Directly to terminal
2. Save to file in /adblocking/stats/
Select log stats output [1-2 3=Exit] 1

Router stats Mon Sep 19 17:51:05 2016
The top 10 requested domains were:
10573 xxxx
8412 xxxx.lan
6627 xxx.lan
6212 xxx.lan
The top 10 blocked ad domains were:

The top 10 noisiest name clients:
43521 xxxx - 10773 xxx - 24.7536%
24730 xxx- 8412 xxxx - 34.0154%
2874 192.168.1.xx - xxxx- 10.4384%
2593 192.168.1.xxx - xxx- 51.0991%

I kinda interested in this, mostly for site blocking is this gona have massive hit on my ISP speeds like the firewall url flitering did
4 urls blocked made my 100mbit 70mbit
34 url block made that 100mbit 30mbit

turning off the firewall - url blocking returned the speeds

Last edited:
I don't get a list of 'top 10 blocked ad domains'
This has long since been fixed in my local version and forgot about it.
Hang on, preparing a update version compatible with v2.0.1.

Last edited:
I kinda interested in this, mostly for site blocking is this gona have massive hit on my ISP speeds like the firewall url flitering did
4 urls blocked made my 100mbit 70mbit
34 url block bad that 100mbit 30mbit

turning off the firewall - url blocking returned the speeds
Forgive me, I may be tired and grumpy at the moment. But is that a question, a general comment / praise or a complaint?

I have some question with the stats reporting when running the LS command, I don't get a list of 'top 10 blocked ad domains' although on the summary menu it show that have allready '6160 host blocked'.

Below is the output report on the terminal window, its a strange behaviour
log-stats.sh version 1.1 is released.
Unfortunately, an error in AB-Solution 2.0.1 prevents the update to the latest version when running (cu).
The version.info file still claims it is log-stats.sh v1.0 but the file itself is version 1.1.

Please delete the existing /adblocking/scripts/log-stats.sh
Then run either (ws) or (ls). This will download the latest file.
You can confirm it by looking at the head of the file. It says
scriptVersion=1.1
releaseDate="20160919"

Changelog log-stats.sh 1.1
Fix: computing 'top 10 blocked ad domains' now works
New: Log stats (ls) and (ws) now include blocked domains count.
New: Updates the counters in the menu header.

log-stats.sh version 1.1 is released.
Unfortunately, an error in AB-Solution 2.0.1 prevents the update to the latest version when running (cu).
The version.info file still claims it is log-stats.sh v1.0 but the file itself is version 1.1.

Please delete the existing /adblocking/scripts/log-stats.sh
Then run either (ws) or (ls). This will download the latest file.
You can confirm it by looking at the head of the file. It says
scriptVersion=1.1
releaseDate="20160919"

Changelog log-stats.sh 1.1
Fix: computing 'top 10 blocked ad domains' now works
New: Log stats (ls) and (ws) now include blocked domains count.
New: Updates the counters in the menu header.

just followed the instruction above, fixed indeed the issue reported earlier, thank you

just followed the instruction above, fixed indeed the issue reported earlier, thank you
And this here is my 1000th post in this forum since I joined more than 2 years ago. What a journey it was!

Anyway, even that bug is long since fixed in my dev version. It downloads the update-hosts.sh instead of the stats file. Copy and paste error at it's finest. As a lonely coder you are left to your own mercy.

Happy 100oth! ... issue fixed for me too thanks.

Forgive me, I may be tired and grumpy at the moment. But is that a question, a general comment / praise or a complaint?

its question will this method of block website cause me huge performance hits to ISP speed like using the built in Firewall - Url Blocking? As I would like to block sites via the router and not opendns cause block via opendns will just tell people it was blocked, if block via router it just returns unreachable webpage like the site is down,but I dont want to do it at expense of my ISP speeds.

Like I said 34 block url via the router webui resulted in 70% lose went from 100mbit to 30mbit disabling it vie webui returned my speeds.

its question will this method of block website cause me huge performance hits to ISP speed like using the built in Firewall - Url Blocking? As I would like to block sites via the router and not opendns cause block via opendns will just tell people it was blocked, if block via router it just returns unreachable webpage like the site is down,but I dont want to do it at expense of my ISP speeds.

Like I said 34 block url via the router webui resulted in 70% lose went from 100mbit to 30mbit disabling it vie webui returned my speeds.
The performance hit is minimal, especially if you disable logging. But then you miss some goodies like blocking stats, weekly blocking stats for your connectd devices and more.
Give it a go, installation is as simple as copy/pasting the link provided. Installation starts by itself. An uninstall function is built in if you change your mind. And maybe AB-Solution will blow your mind.
Have fun!

Just wanted to share the head of the Log stats file of my main router.
The RT-AC87U rarely gets to be part of the development team of AB-Solution.
That is what the two RT-AC66U's are there for.
But it has the advantage of always running the latest version.

And the AC87U is the resolver for my local servers.
I have currently some time to work on the next version of AB-Solution and did some work on the ab-solution.info website .
As I test everything locally before it gets to the live server, my local ab-solution.dev server gets hit hard lately.
Code:
Router Stats on Mon Sep 19 22:01:00 2016
RT-AC87U Firmware-380.61 @ 192.168.2.1
Compiled by AB-Solution 2.0.2 | Stats version 1.1

Blocking 133516 domains, 119451 ads were blocked

The top 10 requested domains were:
111139  www.ab-solution.dev
8570  settings-win.data.microsoft.com
3298  pagead2.googlesyndication.com
3163  block.dropbox.com
2798  watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
2777  client-cf.dropbox.com
2198  www.google-analytics.com

long as it not 30% hit to speeds lets alone 70%, Then I will give a try after i read up on how to and get spare usb stick i can dedicate to it.

Hi! First of all, kudos to @thelonelycoder for this outstanding tool! I've been using some of your code before AB-Solution, even went as far as quite heavily customize it (and shared it somewhere in this forum) but AB-S made me threw all that away with its simplicity and available options!
I've been recently playing with the stat functionality and found that for some reason it seems to be computing domains incorrectly in some scenarios. Let's say you have 2 clients, 10.0.0.3 and 10.0.0.31, whatever request is made by the later also shows as the former in the stats which is wrong. Hope it is an easy fix!

S

Hi! First of all, kudos to @thelonelycoder for this outstanding tool!
Thank you!

I've been using some of your code before AB-Solution, even went as far as quite heavily customize it (and shared it somewhere in this forum) but AB-S made me threw all that away with its simplicity and available options!
I remember the debate about hosts file type vs dnsmasq file type blocking. I briefly considered the change back then.
You know the outcome.

I've been recently playing with the stat functionality and found that for some reason it seems to be computing domains incorrectly in some scenarios. Let's say you have 2 clients, 10.0.0.3 and 10.0.0.31, whatever request is made by the later also shows as the former in the stats which is wrong. Hope it is an easy fix!
It's indeed an extremely easy fix.
I ran the stats file on 20MB of log files with the 192.168.2. IP and then sed'ed the four noisiest IP's to 10.0.0.3, 31, 1 and 11 and ran the stats again.

Not a single digit difference between the two.

With the next AB-Solution version comes an email function to send yourself the stats. This is for the weekly stats (ws) as well as the current log stats (ls).

To make this work reliably, a gmail account is needed to send the mail to, or through it to another mail address.
This, of course, requires the gmail account credentials to be stored on the device.
ATM the file is at <your device>/adblocking/.config/email.cfg.

I was just thinking this may not be a good idea. If one rogue fellow unplugs the stick they may find the file.
Would /jffs/ be a better place to store it?
I know, the router itself is not much heavier but access to /jffs/ requires more effort than plugging a USB device into a PC with the capability to read ext* file system.
Your thoughts? Thanks.