What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@thelonelycoder, any update on AB4?
I was expecting your question to eventually be asked. Let me lay out to you where I stand now.

Recent developments in my life mean I will have significantly less time available to spend on development and support for AB-Solution in the future. The changes are good for me in every aspect except the one you are inquiring about.
With the current version of AB-Solution, the support part is relatively small, especially with other users giving advice or offering their view. I very much appreciate these responses and thank everyone brave enough to pipe in where they can.
That said, it's clear that AB-Solution 3.11.1 is very stable, has none or almost no bugs and is in use on thousands of routers worldwide, with an daily increasing user base.

You can see where this is going. But I can set your mind at rest.
My primary goal for AB 4 is to be as stable as AB 3.x is now.
That can be achieved if I would just forget about the other reasons why AB 4 is developed and simply add the new features to the existing code base and release it as 4.0.
That won't happen for similar reasons that RMerlin drops the 380.x code base and exclusively works with the new 382/384, aka New Generation code.

AB 4, or NG (!) is a radical rewrite of all functions offered by AB 3.x. Version 4 runs on all routers under my control and to the untrained eye looks the same as a v3.x installation when looking at the terminal menu.
You have seen the teaser screenshots I posted and the pictures hardly convey what changed underneath. I can't produce a code comparison screenshot for the simple reason that there's nothing to compare to.
AB 3 and 4 have almost nothing in common code wise except its application name. But I digress.

For AB 4 I have decided that I will break up the intended goals into separate development stages and subsequently release new versions when a new feature is complete.
The AB web UI is one major goal to be pushed back into a later release for the reason that it is potentially the source of most problems and conflicts I see. I could elaborate on that but let's just say that automatically installing a web server on a great variety of devices with an ever greater variety of services the user decided to install is a challenge of its own. I use lighttpd and it works great but I see several conflicts at the moment with existing user installations.

So, the new primary goal is to release AB 4 with the same features that AB 3 currently offers, on a completely new code base. I'm very far into it, all features are converted to the new code base and work as they should.
I would confidently release the current development code right away if the user base of AB were only a handful installations. But that is not the case and I want to make sure 4.0 runs as stable as possible when released.

To finally answer the question: At the moment I have no clear plan when a beta version will be available.
Much of it depends on what my mentioned future professional workload will be.
I can promise this: It will be worth the wait.

When I read the sentence beginning with “Recent developments..,”, my only concern and I’m sure it’ll be the same with others, was that they should be positive rather than negative. So the next sentence was met with great relief. The rest of the post is nice to know, but I’m sure everyone wishes you every possible success and happiness for those recent developments. It’s nice to hear some good news for a change!

I was expecting your question to eventually be asked. Let me lay out to you where I stand now.

Recent developments in my life mean I will have significantly less time available to spend on development and support for AB-Solution in the future. The changes are good for me in every aspect except the one you are inquiring about.
With the current version of AB-Solution, the support part is relatively small, especially with other users giving advice or offering their view. I very much appreciate these responses and thank everyone brave enough to pipe in where they can.
That said, it's clear that AB-Solution 3.11.1 is very stable, has none or almost no bugs and is in use on thousands of routers worldwide, with an daily increasing user base.

You can see where this is going. But I can set your mind at rest.
My primary goal for AB 4 is to be as stable as AB 3.x is now.
That can be achieved if I would just forget about the other reasons why AB 4 is developed and simply add the new features to the existing code base and release it as 4.0.
That won't happen for similar reasons that RMerlin drops the 380.x code base and exclusively works with the new 382/384, aka New Generation code.

AB 4, or NG (!) is a radical rewrite of all functions offered by AB 3.x. Version 4 runs on all routers under my control and to the untrained eye looks the same as a v3.x installation when looking at the terminal menu.
You have seen the teaser screenshots I posted and the pictures hardly convey what changed underneath. I can't produce a code comparison screenshot for the simple reason that there's nothing to compare to.
AB 3 and 4 have almost nothing in common code wise except its application name. But I digress.

For AB 4 I have decided that I will break up the intended goals into separate development stages and subsequently release new versions when a new feature is complete.
The AB web UI is one major goal to be pushed back into a later release for the reason that it is potentially the source of most problems and conflicts I see. I could elaborate on that but let's just say that automatically installing a web server on a great variety of devices with an ever greater variety of services the user decided to install is a challenge of its own. I use lighttpd and it works great but I see several conflicts at the moment with existing user installations.

So, the new primary goal is to release AB 4 with the same features that AB 3 currently offers, on a completely new code base. I'm very far into it, all features are converted to the new code base and work as they should.
I would confidently release the current development code right away if the user base of AB were only a handful installations. But that is not the case and I want to make sure 4.0 runs as stable as possible when released.

To finally answer the question: At the moment I have no clear plan when a beta version will be available.
Much of it depends on what my mentioned future professional workload will be.
I can promise this: It will be worth the wait.
Thanks for the clarification. Considering how stable AB3 is, there is no reason for an user to expect AB4. AB3 does it's job very well. So please take your time on development. Some users like me will always have a tinkling for a new version no matter how stable the current version is. That is no justification to rush a new version. Good luck!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

is there any issue with ab solution and transmission? I have Skynet installed, ab solution everything was fine. When I installed transmission after few days seems to affect ab solution. Loads of errors read only file systems when trying to do anything. Can't remove or reinstall.....

admin@Skynet:/tmp/mnt/entware/adblocking/.config# chmod 777 *.
chmod: *.: No such file or directory
admin@Skynet:/tmp/mnt/entware/adblocking/.config# chmod 777 *.*
chmod: ab-solution.cfg: Read-only file system
chmod: pixelserv-tls.switches: Read-only file system
admin@Skynet:/tmp/mnt/entware/adblocking/.config# cp ab-solution.cfg ab-solution.cfg.bak
cp: can't create 'ab-solution.cfg.bak': Read-only file system
admin@Skynet:/tmp/mnt/entware/adblocking/.config#

Last edited:
Some users like me will always have a tinkling for a new version no matter how stable the current version is. That is no justification to rush a new version.
I have the same mindset, newer is always better, no matter what the changes are. And I have to update it immediately.

is there any issue with ab solution and transmission? I have Skynet installed, ab solution everything was fine. When I installed transmission after few days seems to affect ab solution. Loads of errors read only file systems when trying to do anything. Can't remove or reinstall.....

admin@Skynet:/tmp/mnt/entware/adblocking/.config# chmod 777 *.
chmod: *.: No such file or directory
admin@Skynet:/tmp/mnt/entware/adblocking/.config# chmod 777 *.*
chmod: ab-solution.cfg: Read-only file system
chmod: pixelserv-tls.switches: Read-only file system
admin@Skynet:/tmp/mnt/entware/adblocking/.config# cp ab-solution.cfg ab-solution.cfg.bak
cp: can't create 'ab-solution.cfg.bak': Read-only file system
admin@Skynet:/tmp/mnt/entware/adblocking/.config#
Those commands you are entering are incorrect.
chmod -R 0755 would set sufficient rights to all files/folders.
Apart from that, you seem to have a process or processes that corrupts your USB stick or the partition(s). Check the syslog for relevant entries and find out what causes it.
I doubt it is AB or AB alone.

It worked ;)
However, this confuses me:

Did I come across as negative lately?

You? Ha! Not at all. No, it’s the reference frame of the space-time I inhabit: there’s not much good news in it at present.

One thing I have noticed, is that a writer’s personality does leak through in their emails and posts. Maybe not 100% accurate but if there’s enough of it I think you soon get the measure of the person. And the one trait I feel you could never be accused of is being negative! Not in a million years.

You? Ha! Not at all. No, it’s the reference frame of the space-time I inhabit: there’s not much good news in it at present.

One thing I have noticed, is that a writer’s personality does leak through in their emails and posts. Maybe not 100% accurate but if there’s enough of it I think you soon get the measure of the person. And the one trait I feel you could never be accused of is being negative! Not in a million years.
I have had a very rough time in the past months and a lot on my mind. Part of what kept me sane is the community here and the joy of coding on the next better version of AB-Solution.
Whatever comes out of it, it better be good!

I have had a very rough time in the past months and a lot on my mind. Part of what kept me sane is the community here and the joy of coding on the next better version of AB-Solution.
Whatever comes out of it, it better be good!
And just to bring a downer, first day of proper snow in the UK, someone's gone in to the back of my parked car and it's a write-off! :D

Glad that things are going well for you and hope they continue only to improve further!

Last edited:
I have the same mindset, newer is always better, no matter what the changes are. And I have to update it immediately.

And if something breaks after updating, I swear every time that I will never do it again.

Then, I see there is a update for something. I am like, don't do it... don't do it... don't do it... Clicked on update button already.

Those commands you are entering are incorrect.
chmod -R 0755 would set sufficient rights to all files/folders.
Apart from that, you seem to have a process or processes that corrupts your USB stick or the partition(s). Check the syslog for relevant entries and find out what causes it.
I doubt it is AB or AB alone.

No it is not ab solution it seems to happen after I install Transmission. (this is the third time it happens) Here what I found in the log

Code:
Feb 26 00:18:08Feb 26 00:18:08 com kernel: EXT2-fs (sda5): error: ext2_free_blocks: bit already cleared for block 3727539 


Feb 26 00:18:08Feb 26 00:18:08 com kernel: EXT2-fs (sda5): error: remounting filesystem read-only 

Feb 26 00:18:08Feb 26 00:18:08 com kernel: EXT2-fs (sda5): error: ext2_free_blocks: bit already cleared for block 3727796 

Feb 26 00:18:08Feb 26 00:18:08 com kernel: EXT2-fs (sda5): error: remounting filesystem read-only 

Feb 26 00:18:08Feb 26 00:18:08 com kernel: EXT2-fs (sda5): error: ext2_free_blocks: bit already cleared for block 3728053 

Feb 26 00:18:08Feb 26 00:18:08 com kernel: EXT2-fs (sda5): error: ext2_free_blocks: bit already cleared for block 3728310 

Feb 26 00:18:08Feb 26 00:18:08 com kernel: EXT2-fs (sda5): error: ext2_free_blocks: bit already cleared for block

No it is not ab solution it seems to happen after I install Transmission. (this is the third time it happens) Here what I found in the log

Code:
Feb 26 00:18:08Feb 26 00:18:08 com kernel: EXT2-fs (sda5): error: ext2_free_blocks: bit already cleared for block 3727539



Feb 26 00:18:08Feb 26 00:18:08 com kernel: EXT2-fs (sda5): error: ext2_free_blocks: bit already cleared for block 3727796

Feb 26 00:18:08Feb 26 00:18:08 com kernel: EXT2-fs (sda5): error: ext2_free_blocks: bit already cleared for block 3728053

Feb 26 00:18:08Feb 26 00:18:08 com kernel: EXT2-fs (sda5): error: ext2_free_blocks: bit already cleared for block 3728310

Feb 26 00:18:08Feb 26 00:18:08 com kernel: EXT2-fs (sda5): error: ext2_free_blocks: bit already cleared for block
Try this script here, it checks the file system before it gets mounted when rebooting:
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/USB-Disk-Check-at-Boot

Today linkedin is broken again, using addsbgone file
www.linked.com is not on the blacklist, but it doesn’t load any frames just some plain html text. The IOS app lacks all pictures and videos.

Turning add blocking off everything just works fine.
Any idea which obscure server is feeding this content?

Last edited:
Today linkedin is broken again, using addsbgone file
www.linked.com is not on the blacklist, but it doesn’t load any frames just some plain html text. The IOS app lacks all pictures and videos.

Turning add blocking off everything just works fine.
Any idea which obscure server is feeding this content?
You mean linkedin.com, right? Works here. Use the usual f option 1 to see what's blocked and make a good guess what to whitelist.

Yes, found it media.licdn.com was the culprit :(

Really don’t understand why these kind of domains keep ending up on these blacklists.

Yes, found it media.licdn.com was the culprit :(

Really don’t understand why these kind of domains keep ending up on these blacklists.
That domain is in the Steven Black and mahakala.is hosts files. Might be automatic false positives.
Just leave it in the whitelist and you'll be good.

Hi Folks;

Stumbled across a strange one today looking for guidance. Past couple of days haven't been able to get to chemistry.com. I know they have issues with vpns so I chucked it up to that, but today I was troubleshooting and discovered that with ad blocking on it was taking me to jitsi.org looked like a man in the middle attack, but I'm not an expert ( thats why I come here. with ab solutions off I can get to the right web site, any ideas ?

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.