What's new

Absolutely unable to add new XT8 node to existing XT8 network. Any ideas?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chippy_boy

Regular Contributor
Every single time, I get Unable to add your AIMesh node ZenWifi AX to your AIMesh system due to the following bla bla bla.

I have tried factory resetting the node. I would try to update the node firmware, but when connecting to it (wifi or ethernet) all I can get access to is the ****ing setup wizard. How can I get to the main GUI???

I am completely stumped. I am following the instructions to the letter and it simply will not connect.

Any ideas?

OK I finally managed to access the GUI, updated the firmware to latest version and tried again. Still no joy.

I am stumped. How can it be this difficult to add a new XT8 to an existing XT8 mesh network. I mean honestly if the same kit is not easily compatible with itself, what on earth are you to do????

OK, I will post this here for the benefit of other poor sods who may find themselves Googling here for a solution. I have spent all day on this, but FINALLY managed to get it all working.

I tried everything to get this to work:

Updated the new XT8 node firmware
Loaded factory defaults
Reset by holding down WPS and powering up
Reset by pressing the reset pin for 5 seconds
Tried the Asus Router app
Tried the Asus Router app on other devices
Connected to the node via WIFI
Connected to the node via Ethernet
Rebooted everything MANY times
Tried adding a node via the startup wizard
Tried adding a node via the web UI
Disconnected EVERyTHING
Tried it all again many times

Nothing works. Apart from this:

1. Connect the node to the main unit via Ethernet - yellow ports on the router, to the blue port on the node.
2. Log in to the main router UI and select Network Map on the left
3. At the bottom of the screen in the middle, click on AI Mesh Node
4. On the right hand side, click on Search
5. When the new node is found, click on Yes (or attach or whatever it says - I cannot quite remember)

This SHOULD work. You should now have a node connected with wired backhaul over Ethernet.

6. Now click on AIMesh on the left
7. Click on your new node in the middle of the screen
8. On the right hand side of the screen, click on Management
9. Change Connection Priority to Auto
10. Click on Reboot Node
11. Whilst rebooting, pull out the ethernet cable

Et Voila! You now have a new node connected wireless into your Mesh network.

I am pretty angry with Asus about this to be honest. It is utterly ridiculous that none of the documented ways of connected a new node should actually work. I could understand it (a bit) if we were talking 3 or 4 different types of hardware, all with their own different firmware versions. But i have 4 x XT8's all running latest firmware and all reset and rebooted and they just will not talk to each other as they are supposed to. A very poor show.

As an addendum to this, I should add that having finally got everything set up, I am very pleased with the units. I am getting a reliable connection and decent speeds all around the house. It's been rock solid for several weeks now.

My only quandry is this: I want to add another node and would like to add an Asus XD4 node (as they are cheaper than another XT8). However the XD4 nodes do not have a WAN port - and therefore no wired backhaul. Which means I would be unable to add the node using the method above. I am left wondering whether I would be able to get it to work at all, since all attempts to add a node wirelessly previously, failed.

Thank you Chippy_boy. I encountered the same problem and luckily I remembered seeing your post and then followed your post to fix it. It worked like a charm. Thank you!

Thank you Chippy_boy! it worked... by the way, I configuered a system of XT8 and XD4 using your method and it is working well.

Hey guys...I just purchased a single XT8 Node and also will be adding it into my 2 pak system already up n running. I wont be home for a few weeks to do it though but thought I would clarify.
- I unplug my main XT8 router from my Modem, then plug an Ethernet cable from the yellow WAN port on the main XT8 router to my new XT8 Node blue Lan port?
- Then log into my GUI and follow steps above?
- assuming powering the node on near the main router and trying to simply "add the node" thru either the GUI or App doesnt work?

Thanks in advance

OK, I will post this here for the benefit of other poor sods who may find themselves Googling here for a solution. I have spent all day on this, but FINALLY managed to get it all working.

Loaded factory defaults
Disconnected EVERyTHING

1. Connect the node to the main unit via Ethernet - yellow ports on the router, to the blue port on the node.
5. When the new node is found, click on Yes (or attach or whatever it says - I cannot quite remember)

This SHOULD work. You should now have a node connected with wired backhaul over Ethernet.

10. Click on Reboot Node

I am pretty angry with Asus about this to be honest. It is utterly ridiculous that none of the documented ways of connected a new node should actually work. I could understand it (a bit) if we were talking 3 or 4 different types of hardware, all with their own different firmware versions. But i have 4 x XT8's all running latest firmware and all reset and rebooted and they just will not talk to each other as they are supposed to. A very poor show.
I was trying to add an aimesh node since yesterday but nothing worked. Your method worked. Thank You So Much

Chippy Boy
The XD4 node you want is the 90IG05N0-MO3R50.
This is the router with the WAN/LAN port not the wireless devices.

10. Click on Reboot Node

Thank you, I spent the last three days trying everything to do this wireless between two AC68U routers on Merlin firmware and this was the only way to get it to work. Thank you Chippy_boy!

Thank you for posting this chippy_boy, you saved me a bunch of headaches!!

I did setup the 3rd node as a standalone router first just so I could update the firmware to the same version as the other nodes. Then I factory reset it and went with the ethernet into the WAN port method.

Last edited:

Loaded factory defaults
Disconnected EVERyTHING

10. Click on Reboot Node

So I got a third node.... Had all the same issue but this didn’t work. I got it to work by powering off the other node (that is wired) and setting the third one up. It also worked after I disabled the "Ethernet Backhaul" setting. Do they ALL have to be wired in order for the ethernet backhaul to work?

Do they ALL have to be wired in order for the ethernet backhaul to work?

You can have mixed wired/wireless backhauls. If they are all wired, you can enable Ethernet Backhaul Mode to release all WiFi for client use.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!