What's new

AC-86U not using DHCP Reservation to provide client IP.... handing other open IPs in range.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Livin

This just started a few weeks ago, maybe (not sure) after I upp'd to 386.7 on my AC-86U. The router is not handing one of my Android phones (Samsung S9+) the DHCP reservation IP (.41) that was working for 7+ months. The phone is getting .61
... so today I went in and...
  • deleted the .41 reservation
  • remade the .41
  • put in a bogus MAC reservation for .61
  • on phone: 'forgot network', rebooted, then rejoined the Wifi (input the PW fresh)
I've done this twice and the router keeps handing the phone a different ip... .63 then .27

What is going on? :(

Last edited:
Couple of things to check

Is the .41 leased already to something else?

Is the S9+ creating a randomised mac ?

Couple of things to check

Is the .41 leased already to something else?

Is the S9+ creating a randomized mac ?
.41 has been under reservation for 6 years, never otherwise. But I did check and there is no assignment for .41 in the Client 'View List'
the first thing I did was set the MAC setting (under the Wifi SSID settings menu) to be the 'Phone MAC' and not randomized.

There must be an ASUS bug ... no matter what IP a client asks for, if there is a DHCP Reservation for the MAC requesting the IP, DHCP is supposed to give the client the reserved IP, not the requested IP. That is the entire point to the reservation system.

After the 4th try doing the same basic things I got it working... I used 'forget' network -> went into the SSIDs Advanced menu, set 'Phone MAC' -> THEN put in the password.
... I did NOT reboot... just put in the password and it was handed .41

Last edited:
.41 has been under reservation for 6 years, never otherwise. But I did check and there is no assignment for .41 in the Client 'View List'
the first thing I did was set the MAC setting (under the Wifi SSID settings menu) to be the 'Phone MAC' and not randomized.

There must be an ASUS bug ... no matter what IP a client asks for, if there is a DHCP Reservation for the MAC requesting the IP, DHCP is supposed to give the client the reserved IP, not the requested IP. That is the entire point to the reservation system.

After the 4th try doing the same basic things I got it working... I used 'forget' network -> went into the SSIDs Advanced menu, set 'Phone MAC' -> THEN put in the password.
... I did NOT reboot... just put in the password and it was handed .41
Glad you fixed it.