What's new

Merlin OpenWrt RT-86U image is compatible with RT-86S?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I can find no reference to the existence of a product called "RT-86S" on the internet. Do you have a link to its product page?

Merlin supported models are listed here:

Last edited:
Which is not the same firmware as the RT-AC86U - different router!

Yes. RT-AX86U Asuswrt Merlin is compatible with RT-AX86S. They share the same firmware

Yes. RT-AX86U Asuswrt Merlin is compatible with RT-AX86S. They share the same firmware
This is the correct answer

Hey gang. First post question. Why are some members so intentionally obtuse when a poster doesn't correctly specify something? The only 86s/86u routers that might possibly share a firmware, and are most commonly asked about together in this forum, are AX and I think they know that. Just seems petty, annoying and discouraging. Excellent information from the Senior members.

Hey gang. First post question. Why are some members so intentionally obtuse when a poster doesn't correctly specify something? The only 86s/86u routers that might possibly share a firmware, and are most commonly asked about together in this forum, are AX and I think they know that. Just seems petty, annoying and discouraging. Excellent information from the Senior members.
Because it’s important to get it right.

Because it’s important to get it right.
Agreed. I found several references to RT-86S on the internet. They were all either a bicycle brake rotor or an Asus AX Router. Coincidentally I also found the Merlin router compatibility list. You guys must get so many redundant questions here.

it was quite obvious what the OP was trying to ask. Why do some of you guys have to be "dicks" about it.

it was quite obvious what the OP was trying to ask. Why do some of you guys have to be "dicks" about it.
Or the OP could have took alittle bit of extra time to ensure they are not sending other users who might be much like them on a wild goose chase. I think that is more of the point. Especially if they expect their question to be adequately answered.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!