What's new

AC3100 (HW Ver:A1) which asus stock fw and merlin should i use?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

consorts

can someone experienced recommend the most recent stable asus firmware
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC3100/HelpDesk_BIOS/
with the most stable merlin web gui enhancements.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC3100/Release/

i'm using this ac3100 as the main gateway router to my 100:100 fios ont isp
besides the main set of 2.4/5.0 ssid's, i will add two more sets for a total of 6.
i will also need to bind about a dozen macs on my lan to specific 192.168.1.X addresses
since they are used for printers, webcams, sip, nas and other lan devices
each with their own management browser gui i need to "find" later.
obviously i won't mind manually entering the mac:ip:device_name entries.

can someone with an "old" ac3100 recommend which asus fw+merlin pairing
i should use that avoids the intermittent rebooting, wifi drops, boot loops
and other such annoyances the firmware users often complain about.
i want to set it and forget it. thanks for your time considering my question ;)

can someone experienced recommend the most recent stable asus firmware
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC3100/HelpDesk_BIOS/
with the most stable merlin web gui enhancements.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC3100/Release/

i'm using this ac3100 as the main gateway router to my 100:100 fios ont isp
besides the main set of 2.4/5.0 ssid's, i will add two more sets for a total of 6.
i will also need to bind about a dozen macs on my lan to specific 192.168.1.X addresses
since they are used for printers, webcams, sip, nas and other lan devices
each with their own management browser gui i need to "find" later.
obviously i won't mind manually entering the mac:ip:device_name entries.

can someone with an "old" ac3100 recommend which asus fw+merlin pairing
i should use that avoids the intermittent rebooting, wifi drops, boot loops
and other such annoyances the firmware users often complain about.
i want to set it and forget it. thanks for your time considering my question ;)
I have been running the 384.7_beta3 and it is awesome. Stable as a rock on my AC3100.

yes, but that just came out yesterday, so hardly any track record for stability yet.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC3100/Beta/
which version did you trust on your ac3100 before that? what hw.rev is your ac3100 ?
exactly which asus stock firmware were you running before adding merlin on top.
I don't, and have not ran, stock f/w since I bought the router. First thing I did was upgrade to RMerlin. In my opinion right now the best f/w is the beta I just mentioned, (it will soon be a stable release in a few days) if not I would load 384.6 stable it never gave me any issues, but lacks a few features that the beta has. If you flash over stock you will have to do a factory reset after the flash and a manual config, it's a must do.

yes, but that just came out yesterday, so hardly any track record for stability yet.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC3100/Beta/
which version did you trust on your ac3100 before that? what hw.rev is your ac3100 ?
exactly which asus stock firmware were you running before adding merlin on top.
Im still on 384.5 solid n stable.. i believe merlin has been making some more major changes to some of the underlying modules in the newer versions which may have sum hiccups still i beloeve. Id recomend this version untill the beta is all ironed out.

Just make sure you do a full factory reset amd then a power cycle before entering any settings and youll be fine

Maybe you would prefer pre-384 versions as they all got minor and major problems in some kinds. Something like Merlin 380.69 or 380.70, but they dont have CRACK-patch.

If you flash over stock you will have to do a factory reset after the flash and a manual config, it's a must do.

my ac3100 is currently on stock 3.0.0.4.380.xxxx now,
which is all the way back from 2015 when A1 came out.
can you link me to the procedure that i "must do" :confused:

minor and major problems in Merlin 380.69 or 380.70

problems such as rarely used features not working right, or overall stability issues with basic functions.

Last edited:
first thing to do is to go download the beta that skeal suggested. save it on the desktop of your computer.
next, you'll want to open the router's configuration page and install that firmware. (you can now delete the downloaded file)
Once that's been completed, turn the router off, and use the reset button to clear the settings back to "factory default"
from here, you'll need to re-configure your router for best results.

It takes a few minutes, but I'm assuming your setup is simple and you won't need to get into guest networks and routing tables and QoS and the like. This process will reconnect you with the internet.
if you want a much more enjoyable internet experience, I would suggest you look into installing the ad-blocking and firewall scripts that work brilliantly with Merlin - the developers have made it rather easy to take advantage of their extra work...and best of all, it's free! (but I would suggest making small donations to them as a way of thanking them) I have a feeling you may not know what you're missing out on by not having these installed. Further, there is a thread (possibly stickied at the top of the forum) describing how to do all of this written by an inexperienced/nervous newbie like yourself:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/h...pixelserv-tls-and-dnscrypt.45744/#post-405875

AB-Solution has been superceded by Diversion, but now you have a link to click, as requested ;-)
I think this is what you were looking for, yes?

Last edited:
problems such as rarely used features not working right, or overall stability issues with basic functions.
I mean things like this: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...ta-is-now-available.48856/page-13#post-434652
Strange and unkown Wifi problems not seen before 384 releases, devices not able to connect, lost connections a.s.o., there are many postings about similar issues.

But you could wait for 384.7 Merlin release soon next few weeks, wait 2 weeks more and watch for problems which could hit you too, and if ok so far use this new release!

heysounddude - thanks for getting me off to the right start and doing the extra post flash steps.
if merlin proves stable after say a month, i'll look at enabling more features as you suggested,
i've just wasted way too much time on 2018 versions of dd-wrt to expect much beyond basics.

grisu - i may wait as you suggest, i have a wrt1200v2 now that's working solid as a rock,
and only got this used asus 3100 in order to gain more wifi penetration in a 1,800sq/ft apt.

andreiv - thanks for that clarification, i had thought merlin added to the asus like a script collection :oops:

azdps - i won't be doing aimesh - smallnetbuilder recently said it was pointless, so why bother.
if i have any wifi weak spots, i'll just use some old ac750 access points i have laying on the shelf.

heysounddude - thanks for getting me off to the right start and doing the extra post flash steps.
if merlin proves stable after say a month, i'll look at enabling more features as you suggested,
i've just wasted way too much time on 2018 versions of dd-wrt to expect much beyond basics.

grisu - i may wait as you suggest, i have a wrt1200v2 now that's working solid as a rock,
and only got this used asus 3100 in order to gain more wifi penetration in a 1,800sq/ft apt.

andreiv - thanks for that clarification, i had thought merlin added to the asus like a script collection :oops:

azdps - i won't be doing aimesh - smallnetbuilder recently said it was pointless, so why bother.
if i have any wifi weak spots, i'll just use some old ac750 access points i have laying on the shelf.
Merlin doesnt and may never support aimesh due to it being closed source he cant see the code to work with it other than guessing. Id still suggest you try 384.5 or maybe .6 at most as there have been numerous dns etc related massive chagnes in beta merlin is still working out.
For stability merlins is totally based on stock with mostly bug fixes and a few very useful tools added to the ui.

My RT-AC3100 is stable on the latest ASUS firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384.32799. I asked about AiMesh because I knew RMerlin firmware doesn't support it and ASUS recent stock firmware apparently has issues with it. If you don't need the extra features that RMerlin provides I would stick with stock.

If you don't need the extra features that RMerlin provides I would stick with stock.

does that imply merlin destabilizes asus firmware,
or makes it run slower due to higher overhead,
or makes it difficult to ever return back to stock?

Last edited:
You can easily flash between stock and merlin. Merlin is also based on stock and theres no negative performance impact im aware of. There is an increased vpn performace for one client but thats all i can think of atm.

Various other pieces like the webui are actually optimized for better performance versus the stock firmware.

Merlin has been running as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar on my old n66u for YEARS, and if you poke around, I'm sure my experience isn't uncommon. The newest version of the firmware on a more modern piece of hardware has that legacy to live up to, and will. You might even find, in time when this router is "obsoleted" by newer hardware/technology, that it remains competitive or surpasses them.
The add-on scripts for ad-blocking and firewall will secure and streamline your internet experience network-wide.
the decision to go with Merlin is one you won't regret - just keep up with the updates and you'll be golden.

Merlin has been running as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar on my old n66u for YEARS, and if you poke around, I'm sure my experience isn't uncommon. The newest version of the firmware on a more modern piece of hardware has that legacy to live up to, and will. You might even find, in time when this router is "obsoleted" by newer hardware/technology, that it remains competitive or surpasses them.
The add-on scripts for ad-blocking and firewall will secure and streamline your internet experience network-wide.
the decision to go with Merlin is one you won't regret - just keep up with the updates and you'll be golden.
im guessing they don't update or possibly want to update or beta test and just want stable right now?

im guessing they don't update or possibly want to update or beta test and just want stable right now?
I get that impression as well. I was simply trying to reassure them that if the userbase testing the beta indicates that it's fine, merlin doesn't do anything to it except change the name from beta to release and point current downloads to it. (as I understand it)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!