What's new

[AC68U] 8To HDD USB 3.0 SMB sharing not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mime29

New Around Here
I use an external HDD Seagate steb8000301 usb3.0
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07TZXR741/

my goal: share its content with my apple tv 4k through SMB to read my digitalized blurays (I use Infuse on the apple tv, I also used vlc successfully)

problem: I plug the hdd on the usb 3.0 port (configured as a 3.0 port as well) and when I try to access its content and folders through the asus merlin interface SMB page by tapping on the hdd name, the waiting indicator keeps rotating for many minutes ( never waited more than 5 minutes ).
I also can't access the content from the apple tv softwares I referred earlier.

note: When I change the USB 3.0 port configuration to USB 2.0 then everything works fine except that the bandwidth is not enough to stream my digitalized bluray.
I can browse the folders in the SMB configuration panel of the asus merlin admin interface and I can also browse files kn vlc and infuse.

What could be the problem here?
Is it possible that 8To disks are not supported when plugged using usb3 but supported when using usb 2.0?

I use an external HDD Seagate steb8000301 usb3.0
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07TZXR741/

my goal: share its content with my apple tv 4k through SMB to read my digitalized blurays (I use Infuse on the apple tv, I also used vlc successfully)

problem: I plug the hdd on the usb 3.0 port (configured as a 3.0 port as well) and when I try to access its content and folders through the asus merlin interface SMB page by tapping on the hdd name, the waiting indicator keeps rotating for many minutes ( never waited more than 5 minutes ).
I also can't access the content from the apple tv softwares I referred earlier.

note: When I change the USB 3.0 port configuration to USB 2.0 then everything works fine except that the bandwidth is not enough to stream my digitalized bluray.
I can browse the folders in the SMB configuration panel of the asus merlin admin interface and I can also browse files kn vlc and infuse.

What could be the problem here?
Is it possible that 8To disks are not supported when plugged using usb3 but supported when using usb 2.0?

I wonder if the router has enough memory for 8 TB of content... what is the memory consumption?

OE

And there won't be much difference in 2.0 (480Mb/s) or 3.0 (5Gb/s).
4k video shouldn't go above 40Mb/s, so easily done with USB2.0 specs.
USB3.0 can interfere with 2.4GHz band, so often problematic.

`what is the memory consumption?` -> I will set it back to USB 3.0 and check the dashboard main screen for video consumption. I should maybe post a screenshot with a more detailled memory consumption info. Is there a nice command for that?

`40MB/s, so easily done with USB2.0` -> It is theoretical bandwidth but you might be right and maybe the source of my issue is not that. Still, browsing the folders in the SMB admin screen is just impossible when setting the port to USB 3.0.

`USB3.0 can interfere with 2.4GHz band` -> What do you mean by that?

screenshot: Streaming bluray with Seagate 8To using USB 3 to VLC on Apple TV 4K

The asus merlin admin interface couldn't browse the folders; that was my initial problem.
I changed the port to USB 2.0.
Rebooted
Changed it back to USB 3.0
Rebooted
Plugged the external hard drive

And after this I could see the folders in the SMB admin interface. (definitely a bug somewhere here bug hard to spot)

I still have problems though. The stream seems perfectly ok but I have freezes sometimes.
The memory consumption is high but I still have 15% free. CPU is also looking good.
I'll continue to investigate by accessing the stream from a laptop and by eventually trying another apple TV app than vlc.

Attachments

• Capture12.PNG
    Capture12.PNG
    25.7 KB · Views: 249
RAM can go up to 95% without any problem, thats part of how linux works (on those routers)! It will free RAM when needed.
How did you format, Ext2/3/4 should be prefered for fastest connection.
And HDD on USB isnt a good configuration at all, always troublesome, routers arent build to work as NAS, its only a bad feature. Better to use a NAS.
There are limits in total files and their size and will bring your router down at some point as it caches the full directory and files.

RAM can go up to 95% without any problem, thats part of how linux works (on those routers)! It will free RAM when needed.
How did you format, Ext2/3/4 should be prefered for fastest connection.
And HDD on USB isnt a good configuration at all, always troublesome, routers arent build to work as NAS, its only a bad feature. Better to use a NAS.
There are limits in total files and their size and will bring your router down at some point as it caches the full directory and files.
That's very interesting and I'll look more into the NAS solution. If you have recommendation for something small and without noise, that's great.
I formatted in NTFS to be able to access the data from all my machines (TV LG if I plug the HDD on it directly, Mac OS X, Windows, Router Asus)