What's new

Ac68u to RTn66u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

garethsnaim

Occasional Visitor
Hi folks.

I have an RTn66u in as my router/wireless at the moment, however thought I would splash the cash on the new AC68u.

This will become the main router, the plan is to have the RTN66u as an extension down in my office. The two can be connected via a switch but I just want to see one wireless over my entire network.

Is there a way to create that?

I did this yesterday, with RT-AC68U and RT-N66U. And I don't use the same SSID's. ( I don't think you can, in Repeater mode)
With Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.374_979 on the RT-N66U you can easily set it up in Repeater Mode.
The SSID's on my AC68U is fasst24(2.4GHz) and fasst25(5GHz)
On the N66U the SSID's are fasst2-24 and fasst2-25.

Just follow the instructions for Repeater mode and it's done in 2 min. Works like a charm.

Well, this is always a pain in the arse, I wish Asus would make it as easy as apple.

Repeater does not appear to be what I am after, thats to extend a wireless network via wireless. As I stated I have an ethernet cable to a switch where both routers a connected, which led to the other option of access point.

Once set up everything is working except I cannot log into it, it will not except the default password or the password I had assigned it.

It there a way to properly hard reset an asus router?

While the router is turned on press the reset button for about five seconds. The router will then reboot, with factory default settings in place.

Well, this is always a pain in the arse, I wish Asus would make it as easy as apple.

Repeater does not appear to be what I am after, thats to extend a wireless network via wireless. As I stated I have an ethernet cable to a switch where both routers a connected, which led to the other option of access point.

Once set up everything is working except I cannot log into it, it will not except the default password or the password I had assigned it.

I am sure that you already tried this but I thought I would offer it anyway. Have you tried the default username and password, both are ►"admin"◄? It is worth a shot before having to do a reset.

I did this yesterday, with RT-AC68U and RT-N66U. And I don't use the same SSID's. ( I don't think you can, in Repeater mode)
With Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.374_979 on the RT-N66U you can easily set it up in Repeater Mode.
The SSID's on my AC68U is fasst24(2.4GHz) and fasst25(5GHz)
On the N66U the SSID's are fasst2-24 and fasst2-25.

Just follow the instructions for Repeater mode and it's done in 2 min. Works like a charm.

Both of his routers are conected to a switch by an Ethernet cable. Thus do not have to be set up as AP or as a Repeater.

OP.

Connect second router to a switch using WAN port.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!