What's new

ac86u seems to be stuck in boot loop after firmware update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

an303042

Occasional Visitor
hi,
I have an rt-ac86u that was running Merlin 384.7 just fine. Today I saw that there's 384.7.2 out so I downloaded it and started the update process. When it was done it said to boot the router manually, so I did. Since then it seems to be stuck in a boot loop. Power button turns on, computer seems to recognize the network cable is attached to something, a couple of lights turn on on the router but then it goes back to black and the cycle begins again.
Needless to say the router gui is inaccessible and resetting with the reset button in the back didn't seem to do anything.
I then tried recovery mode by pressing the WPS button while turning on and managed to get to a upload firmware screen I've never seen before. I tired to upload the old 384.7 Merlin that used to work fine, but everything stayed in the same loop.
I'm in a real pickle here and would very much appreciate any and all help.
Thank you

Seems to be an ongoing issue with this particular model. I own one too but have not come across this yet. There is quite a bit of info regarding this in the forums. May want to start by searching this thread:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=52425&share_tid=47980&url=https://www.snbforums.com/index.php?threads/ASUS-RT-AC86U-Stays-Off-During-Scheduled-Reboot.47980/&share_type=t
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks but that seems to a different issue. Mine doesn't stay off, its stuck in a loop and never reboots no matter how many times I try to reboot it.

The only way I managed to reach anywhere with the router is this screen after turning on while pressing WPS button -
mvjNkq

Do I need to select a partition there? There is a blank option and 1, 2 and 3. I tried uploading older firmware while not selecting anything in that menu (blank) but nothing change and am still stuck in loop.
Please please help. Thanks

Attachments

• 84B4C4FF-CE15-42AF-858E-2CC694121992.jpeg
    84B4C4FF-CE15-42AF-858E-2CC694121992.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,604
Have you tried to reset your router and redownload your FW? Use either restore or initialize.

Have you tried to reset your router and redownload your FW? Use either restore or initialize.

Not sure what you mean - GUI is not accessible at all. Using the reset button on the back doesn't seem to do anything either.
Only way to get something other than the loop is using the WPS button which leads me to the screen attached to my previous post. Not 100% sure what to do there but when i tried uploading an older firmware through there it didn't do anything either.

The only way I managed to reach anywhere with the router is this screen after turning on while pressing WPS button -
mvjNkq

Do I need to select a partition there? There is a blank option and 1, 2 and 3. I tried uploading older firmware while not selecting anything in that menu (blank) but nothing change and am still stuck in loop.
Please please help. Thanks

I have never seen this screen before. Not sure what it is. I would simply initialize and re-download FW. Or have you tried upgrading to a different FW and see what happens?

He can’t initialize. The router is in a boot loop.
He can access the page he posted that asks about partitions.
I had the same issue. I got an rma.

Since this screen will not get you anywhere you can Restore by pressing reset button in the back of the router (5 seconds or so).

He can’t initialize. The router is in a boot loop.
He can access the page he posted that asks about partitions.
I had the same issue. I got an rma.
I really hope someone here will know how to help me. @RMerlin perhaps?
I can't really do an RMA with this, and have no backup routers at the moment. Using up my cell phone's data plan looking for help here...

The other option would be to turn the router off. Then press reset button for 5 secs while router is off then keep it pressed for another 5secs while turning it on. When you get to the CFE window try to re-download your stock FW and see what happens.

If you are not familiar with this method and or what to do then I would be happy to explain in detail.

Otherwise, you can do what @Pierino suggested and replace your router with a new one.

The other option would be to turn the router off. Then press reset button for 5 secs while router is off then keep it pressed for another 5secs while turning it on. When you get to the CFE window try to re-download your stock FW and see what happens.

If you are not familiar with this method and or what to do then I would be happy to explain in detail.

Otherwise, you can do what @Pierino suggested and replace your router with a new one.

I'm not familiar with this method and can't seem to get it to work. When I turn the router on with the reset button pressed nothing happens. It continues to boot loop. Can't get CFE window to show.
would love to hear suggestions other than replacing the router since it was purchased in the US but I'm currently overseas.

Before you do this make sure that:

1. You have a Ethernet cable available

2. Give your PC a static IP address

3. Clear your browser cache and close it

4. And I really hope that you have a copy of your FW (stock or Merlin’s) saved in one of your PC folders.

Once you are done with above then:

1. Turn off your router

2. Connect your PC to your LAN 1 port of your router via Ethernet cable.

3. Press reset button in the back of the router for 5 secs. Maintain it pressed for another 5 secs after you power it on.

4. Open up your browser and press your router’s IP address. This will be 192.168.50.1.

6. Patiently wait for the CFE window to pop up. You should have two links there to clear NVRAM and reboot router.

7. Clear NVRAM and reboot your router.

8. If router is up, type its IP address and see if your router’s setup window comes up.

9. If not, then repeat steps 1-6.

10. This time when the CFE window comes up again, try uploading your FW (hopefully you have one saved in your PC)

11. Let the router upload everything and when it is done, it will reboot itself.

12. If everything went well you should be able to see your router’s setup screen again (make sure to clear your browsers cache and type your router’s IP address again.

13. Remove your Ethernet cable, turn off/on router and set it up from scratch.

Hope this helps.

Before you do this make sure that:

1. You have a Ethernet cable available

2. Give your PC a static IP address

3. Clear your browser cache and close it

4. And I really hope that you have a copy of your FW (stock or Merlin’s) saved in one of your PC folders.

Once you are done with above then:

1. Turn off your router

2. Connect your PC to your LAN 1 port of your router via Ethernet cable.

3. Press reset button in the back of the router for 5 secs. Maintain it pressed for another 5 secs after you power it on.

4. Open up your browser and press your router’s IP address. This will be 192.168.50.1.

6. Patiently wait for the CFE window to pop up. You should have two links there to clear NVRAM and reboot router.

7. Clear NVRAM and reboot your router.

8. If router is up, type its IP address and see if your router’s setup window comes up.

9. If not, then repeat steps 1-6.

10. This time when the CFE window comes up again, try uploading your FW (hopefully you have one saved in your PC)

11. Let the router upload everything and when it is done, it will reboot itself.

12. If everything went well you should be able to see your router’s setup screen again (make sure to clear your browsers cache and type your router’s IP address again.

13. Remove your Ethernet cable, turn off/on router and set it up from scratch.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the detailed instructions. Unfortunately, when I get to step 4 (kind of an important step) my browser doesn't load any page. Not at 192.168.50.1 or at 192.168.1.1. (surprisingly I am able to ping 192.168.1.1, but nothing other than ping).
So no CFE window for me :(

More ideas?

Have you tried this?

ASUS Firmware Restoration version 2.1.0.1

HTML:
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC86U/HelpDesk_Download/

Have you tried this?

ASUS Firmware Restoration version 2.1.0.1

HTML:
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC86U/HelpDesk_Download/
I've tried it but what happens is that it tries to connect to the router for 30 seconds and afterwards says the router isn't in rescue mode.

Did you follow these instructions regarding changing your PC's adapter settings?

Router in rescue mode?

HTML:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814/#

Did you follow these instructions regarding changing your PC's adapter settings?

Router in rescue mode?

HTML:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814/#
I have. No dice.

Something strange I've noticed though - when I put the router is rescue mode I can ping it at 192.168.1.1, but when Asus firmware restoration utility starts looking for the router the ping stops as if it throws the router out of rescue mode. Strange stuff.