What's new

AC86U sometimes powers completely off during reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You can opt to disable it.

It is disabled on my router.

Adaptive QoS with CTF hardware acceleration is valuable for a lot of folks, and it's part of Trend Micro's engine that ASUS licenses. I understand the sentiment behind your post, but I'm not sure it's fair to call it bloatware.

No need to invite 3rd party company collecting all king of user data to do something very similar. I had bunch of routers running Tomato for years and QoS implementation was excellent. No hardware acceleration, but in some cases it doesn't matter. Popular RT-AC66U, for example, can process traffic >100Mbps with no acceleration. And when you have >100Mbps WAN, you don't really need QoS. Now people are talking about gigabit WAN connections.

Ditto AC86u shuta down during scheduled reboot after 384.12. Was previously working, reboot every day at 5AM. I have to manually power cycle the router.

No Spanning Tree is default but a factory reset seemed to fix the problem, two days knock on wood.

This problem is really, really random and intermittent! So it might be stable for now but might happen in the future again!

It is disabled on my router.

No need to invite 3rd party company collecting all king of user data to do something very similar. I had bunch of routers running Tomato for years and QoS implementation was excellent. No hardware acceleration, but in some cases it doesn't matter. Popular RT-AC66U, for example, can process traffic >100Mbps with no acceleration. And when you have >100Mbps WAN, you don't really need QoS. Now people are talking about gigabit WAN connections.
It sounds to me like you are jumbling HW Accl and QoS together when they are not related.

HW Accel has nothing to do with Trend Micro or anyone else.
QoS on the other hand yes. Needs tables to operate properly.

Ditto AC86u shuta down during scheduled reboot after 384.12. Was previously working, reboot every day at 5AM. I have to manually power cycle the router.
Same issue here. during schedule reboot everyday at 3 a.m. the rooter sometimes remains with all the led OFF. Wifi is still alive but no internet connection.
I have to manually power cycle the router.

I had spanning tree protocol disabled for a couple months so I took your advice and clicked enable and my lights flashed for a few seconds then they all went dark and never came back on!
So you are correct, enabling STP reproduces the issue for me but I tried it again right after that and it powered on ok, freaking random.

I was also able to reproduce the issue (accidentally) simply by adjusting the TX power. I was troubleshooting the fact that I still cannot for the life of me get my android phone to switch access points when I move throughout the house so I lowered the TX power and the lights all went dark and the router never powered back on. Had to manually reboot.

So this is what we know:
Disabling STP sometimes reproduces the issue
a basic reboot sometimes reproduces the issue
changing TX power sometimes reproduces the issue.

This could mean nothing since in all instances the router is probably just doing a simple reboot but Im still confident at some point Merlin will encounter this issue unless he has a brand new revision in which asus has fixed the issue and keeping it quiet so they dont have to deal with returns/recalls

Last edited:
Making changes may trigger the issue, but it is not a cause.
I have set some static DHCP entries. Set a reboot schedule.
That's it.
Wake up to a dark router.

I have stopped scheduled reboots.
BTW- No ill effects from not rebooting.

Making changes may trigger the issue, but it is not a cause.
I have set some static DHCP entries. Set a reboot schedule.
That's it.
Wake up to a dark router.

I have stopped scheduled reboots.
BTW- No ill effects from not rebooting.
have the same problem on diff firms, have reboot everyday and sometimes its not on so powers it off and on

I just experienced this on my 86U.

Updated from 384.12 to .13 (dirty)

Added 3 AiMesh nodes
Changed a bunched of wireless settings
Rebooted via GUI button

I’ve not done many reboots before now (had it about a year), the router has been rock solid so no need.

Does make me nervous of remote config tho, I’m often not at its location and if I ever needed to reboot it I’ll be thinking seriously about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just experienced this on my 86U.
Does make me nervous of remote config tho, I’m often not at its location and if I ever needed to reboot it I’ll be thinking seriously about it!
Not a good idea to reboot this router remotely. Wait until you are physically present to reboot if at all possible.

Last edited:
So i had STP disabled for a while and in the other day i had to do a reboot of the router... When i did it even with STP disabled i had the all lights off issue.

I have experienced this case
Appears exactly when applying a scheduled reboot
After applying the schedule and rebooting, it is completely down.
I can't find anything else in the log.
I just had to unplug and reconnect. Annoying problem.
I haven't experienced it when I press reboot in gui.
It looks the same.

I have experienced this case
Appears exactly when applying a scheduled reboot
After applying the schedule and rebooting, it is completely down.
I can't find anything else in the log.
I just had to unplug and reconnect. Annoying problem.
I haven't experienced it when I press reboot in gui.
It looks the same.

Its nothing to do with the schedule reboot to be honest... I don't use schedule reboot and sometimes when i reboot the router i got the problem! The only thing we know for sure is that this problem happens when you reboot the router