What's new

AC86U sometimes powers completely off during reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I experienced this issue one time during my initial setup of my 2019 China model. My 2020 Vietnam model has never failed to reboot.

Yes and I should have stated Vietnam not Taiwan.

guys, is this issue ever fixed, i want to buy 2 additional rt-ac86u to create a mesh

is there maybe already a new revision out?

also, is this issue only present when you do a reboot command? or can it also happen on power issues
lets say, there is no power in hosue anymore, power comes back will it then also be stuck in the "power off" state?
The issue has never been fully understood and therefore I guess never solved.
Instead you can use the specific amtm script in order to schedule le rooter reboot via cron.
This is very reliable and I'm using it since one year without any reboot issue.

0 issues for years. 86u is most solid router I ever owned. ~300Mbps onchip VPN!! If only that pesky Merlin wizard would make IKEV2 easy for us noobs.

0 issues for years. 86u is most solid router I ever owned. ~300Mbps onchip VPN!! If only that pesky Merlin wizard would make IKEV2 easy for us noobs.
Agreed. I had the problem a couple of times a year ago, and not since.

In many RT-AC86U installations for my customers, the only time I've seen one not power up again was mine the very first time. After a full RMerlin update and M&M reset, never happened again.

I don't think this is an issue anymore for any properly maintained equipment.

Recalling from my days of using Asus 56U..that's a few years ago.

Command line reboot and GUI reboot used to be the same. Calling the same set of routines to shutdown services and then reboot the hardware gracefully.

Some time in 380.xx. This was broken. Perhaps by Asus. I reported the issue on this forum. No one cares. Neither me want to debug further back then. I believe it's possible to restore the consistency.

The 86U reboot issue surely looks like a new bug. Perhaps it's good chance for Asus or anybody else to re-visit the reboot feature altogether.

Whatever happened with this? As I mentioned elsewhere, a reliable reboot may be the most important feature of any router. WTF.

This is still unsolved after five years. It's a garbage product that should never been produced because of this unresolved issues.

This is still unsolved after five years. It's a garbage product that should never been produced because of this unresolved issues.
?? The past couple of posts dating back to 2021 state that its not an issue any longer, hasn't been for years. Personally, I've never experienced it on my old AC86U nor my GT-AX6000, both running Merlin's firmware. Why do you say this is still unresolved?

I have auto reboot weekly, and every 5th time or something, the router become unresponsive until replug power.
?? The past couple of posts dating back to 2021 state that its not an issue any longer, hasn't been for years. Personally, I've never experienced it on my old AC86U nor my GT-AX6000, both running Merlin's firmware. Why do you say this is still unresolved?

If you have auto reboot set for no valid reason, then you're using the router wrong.

If you're using it as a workaround for a possible bug, you need to fix the bug and not use auto reboot.

Many RT-AC86Us are still in service with no issues. And the handful I saw myself with this reboot issue was fixed by upgrading the firmware and/or performing the nuclear reset until the firmware 'took'.

Nuclear Reset https://www.snbforums.com/threads/major-issues-w-rt-ac86u.56342/page-4#post-495710

I have auto reboot weekly, and every 5th time or something, the router become unresponsive until replug power.
Yeah... like @L&LD said... don't use auto reboot. The router runs fine after setting it up from a factory reset, and could be running without any intervention for many years. If you start tinkering with scripts, adding fun little entware addons and tools, start messing with your configuration files on a deeper level, then yeah... you can start borking things up, requiring another factory reset to get things stable again. I literally never rebooted my routers unless it was to troubleshoot some major internet issue, or because I had just loaded a new firmware update.

For me, I solved by using a power supply which provided more current capability. Since doing that, my AC86U has never hung. Previously every fifth reboot or so would hang.

Well, a part this very annoying issue the router works great.
I solved this issue by using the schedule reboot script in AMTM.
This works very well and never fails.
I have a daily reboot schedule since years and never failed once.

Well, a part this very annoying issue the router works great.
I solved this issue by using the schedule reboot script in AMTM.
This works very well and never fails.
I have a daily reboot schedule since years and never failed once.
Reaaly, that might be the solution, or at least workaround then! I'll dive into it, thanks!

Yeah... like @L&LD said... don't use auto reboot. The router runs fine after setting it up from a factory reset, and could be running without any intervention for many years. If you start tinkering with scripts, adding fun little entware addons and tools, start messing with your configuration files on a deeper level, then yeah... you can start borking things up, requiring another factory reset to get things stable again. I literally never rebooted my routers unless it was to troubleshoot some major internet issue, or because I had just loaded a new firmware update.
I hav like two freezes a year when not rebooting. Since I use it off site it takes med all day to go there to manually reboot it, so I have to find a reliable solution.
With autoreboot enabled the Internet is always up, but with the downside that the router and devices on lan is not reachable in a week after an unsuccessful reboot, but it works again after the next reboot one week later.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!