What's new

AC86U sometimes powers completely off during reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Since putting my new RT-AC86U online a month ago, I have rebooted it via gui several times. It failed to reboot only twice and that was during initial setup. Since then it has never failed to reboot. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm not all that hot on the idea of effectively yanking the power cord and plugging it in again every day as a cure for the problem that a GUI reboot might not bring my 86u on line. I've been up 11 days without issue since installing the second A1, and I won't do A2 until I'm physically there. Seems like the medicine is harsher than the disease.

Well, I don't know if A1 is solving the issue or if your router is free from the bug (not all 86U are affected).
My router is UP since few days without troubles but if I make a reboot for whatever reason, there is a good probability it wont boot and will remain with all light OFF.

BTW: Once (and only once) it happened that the rooter woke-up just by switching on the Desktop which was LAN connected to the router.

The interesting thing is the router never fails to restart during a firmware update, at least not for me (while a regular software reboot fails to start every time); maybe there's a clue here?..

Well, in my case it's true it never happens during a FW update but it's also true that it fails to boot in a random way: the last 5 manual reboot have been succesfull.

I just has this again using 384.15
Reason I'm posting is because some said they thought 384.15 solved this.
Clicked reboot, poof, manual action needed to get the router up again.

I too have noticed that it has never failed to reboot during an upgrade.

I haven't seen anyone state that RMerlin firmware v384.15_0 solved this issue?

I haven't seen anyone state that RMerlin firmware v384.15_0 solved this issue?
My AC86U used to have the problem when rebooting, that it would hang and all of the LEDs go out (separate thread on this to suggest many others also experience this). I no longer seem to have this issue, after many reboots.

Here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...4-are-now-available.61694/page-12#post-551274
Unfortunately, he got just lucky so far.

The last 2 x RT-AC86U I had in my hands both failed to reboot in the process of upgrading Asuswrt stock firmware to latest Asuswrt stock firmware. Brand new units manufactured in 2019, first ever firmware upgrade after unpacking. So it may happen randomly at any reboot attempt.

@Val D. that isn't stating it's 'solved' though. Just user reports for their experience. ;)

@Val D. that isn't stating it's 'solved' though. Just user reports for their experience.

Everyone here is sharing opinions and experience. Very few know what exactly was "fixed" or "broken" inside the code. My experience with this particular router model is the following: to really solve the problem, one has to change the router with a different model. This router most likely has a hardware issue, not fixable with software updates. None of the firmware updates could fix it so far, >2 years after the product release.

Apologies for causing any confusion here. I wasn't stating that it was fixed per se, but instead these were my observations made for my usage case.

I must have rebooted the router at least 20 times since the update (don't ask), and it has not once halted at boot. Previously, it would do this 1 in every 5 reboots, at a guess.

Something changed, but I don't know what. Works in my favour, so I'm happy until I can break something else.

Something changed, but I don't know what. Works in my favour, so I'm happy until I can break something else.

Just don't reboot it when you're not around. I had one RT-AC86U made in 2017 and it use to hang about 1 in 40 reboots, no matter what firmware it was running. It's completely random issue, you may see it twice a day or once in 6 months time. I strongly believe something is off on the hardware side with this model and because it's intermittent, it's hard to catch, diagnose and eventually fix with an updated hardware revision, for example. There are other routers based on the same hardware platform and only RT-AC86U has issues with soft reboot. Go figure...

I just has this again using 384.15
Reason I'm posting is because some said they thought 384.15 solved this.
Clicked reboot, poof, manual action needed to get the router up again.

384. 15 here too, first time i have ever ran into this after having this router for what feels like years. Did a modem swap, hit the gui reboot, lights out, power cycle and back up.

Might be time to do a clean and instal. All my flashes have been dirty, first issue i think is this.

Strange in all the years of having it, today was the first time...... I guess i dont putz with it much, its rock solid, just firmware updates every so often.

Strange in all the years of having it, today was the first time...

It won't be so strange to you if you read all 14 pages of this thread. Not needed though. Just make sure you're around when you reboot this router from WebUI or ask someone to watch the LEDs when you reboot it remotely.

384. 15 here too, first time i have ever ran into this after having this router for what feels like years. Did a modem swap, hit the gui reboot, lights out, power cycle and back up.

Might be time to do a clean and instal. All my flashes have been dirty, first issue i think is this.

No, if you are happy with your config, nothing will "fix" this.

Just remember don't schedule a reboot. Doing it manually is OK as you are there and will notice the router is dark.

welcome in the club ... you've been a lucky guy in the last years.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!