What's new

AC86U vs Pfsense Mini PC for OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

juajar

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I currently have an Asus AC86U for my Torguard Open VPN Setup (Streaming, Browsing, Ect) since I am outside the US. I use it as a whole house access point for a "US Internet Connection". My issue is that I get 80-100mb at most while my ISP Connection is 600mbps.

I am currently looking at a MiniPC with a J3455 with 8GB RAM to see if I change it over to a Pfsense Box instead of the AC86.

Do you guys think I will see that noticeable improvement from the AC68U with that srtup? If not, what should I be looking at in terms of hardware in order to improve (Hopefully around 200mb would be the sweet spot...)

Thanks in advance

I get 80-100mb at most

RT-AC86U can do 200Mbps and some more on OpenVPN. Perhaps the server you connect to is not fast enough? What speeds you get to the same server when connected with PC Torguard client? If the PC can't get any better speeds, the server is the issue.

You would see more improvement with a wireguard VPN over the OVPN solution.

Now, how fast a J3455 can go is another question. I use a 12700K and on a gig plan can hit up to 1.5gbps but typically see line speed 1ge on most servers using Nord. Asus doesn't do well with higher speed connections VPN or not though. PF should be an upgrade either way.

Asus doesn't do well with higher speed connections VPN

This is what you can get from a home router. Up to 250Mbps on OpenVPN and about 350Mbps on Wireguard. It's pretty good for power efficient device under 15W in typical operation mode. Your case with 125W base and up to 190W turbo CPU is not a good example. I also have Nord account and I don't see >200Mbps to distant servers on another continent. Local servers only max out my ISP line (500Mbps) and not all of them.

Last edited:
FWIW...

A few years ago, I became frustrated by the lack of OpenVPN performance w/ my RT-AC68U, which maxes out around 30Mbps. So I created a small form-factor PC out of spare parts w/ VERY modest specs (circa 2011, meager 1GHz processor), running DD-WRT x86 off a USB flash drive. Nothing special. I then configured it in AP mode w/ an active OpenVPN client and made it the default gateway for my local network, w/ my RT-AC68U otherwise functioning exactly as before as the primary router.

The performance improvement was dramatic. My ISP provides 600Mbps up/down. Using NordVPN, I have seen as much as 250Mbps from the Denver server on occasion, w/ 140-180MBps being more typical for other USA locations.

I don't really know the limits of the PC unless I can find a VPN provider/server that offers more bandwidth. But I suspect it's quite a bit more than 250Mbps. But regardless, it shows the vast difference between these consumer-grade routers, no matter how modern they may be, and even an old, outdated PC of mediocre specs. It's more than just processing power at play here. It's the *architectural* differences between the platforms too. Just about any PC type platform is going to make mincemeat of these consumer-grade routers.

I will probably eventually move my primary router to the PC platform w/ pfSense (or similar), thus abandoning these consumer-grade routers for good. As the bandwidth offerings from ISPs continue to improve, they've outlived their usefulness to me. Not unless there's a change by the manufacturers to dramatically up their specs. I've had my fill w/ hacks like CTF/SFE/FA which (imo) are nothing more than the attempts to give the *illusion* of improvement.

@eibgrad if you switch to nordlynx it will be faster. But yes any PC blows away a consumer router. Setup mine with 5GE ports and bond two together for 2GE on the modem side and with nordlynx wireguard it hits line speed on most servers aka over 1gbps usually 1.3-1.5. pfsense is one route but I just used Ubuntu for it. I also hung a WiFi 6 AP off it for wireless. Breaking away from off the shelf products opens up the true potential of your internet and security.

Thank you for all the replies!

When I connect through my PC I get around double the speed I get on the AC86U.

So is everyone in agreement that the J3455 should be able to handle the 200Mb no problem. I just want to make sure that the hardware will handle it before pulling the trigger.

Thanks again!

I just want to make sure that the hardware will handle it before pulling the trigger.

The hardware will handle it, but can you handle pfSense? Not exactly click-click-done like consumer routers.

Also found an Intel Quad-Core i5-6500T up to 3.1G with 8G DDR4. Would that be much better that the J3455??

Also found an Intel Quad-Core i5-6500T up to 3.1G with 8G DDR4. Would that be much better that the J3455??

More than 2x better, but J3455 is 10W CPU and 6500T is 35W CPU. J3455 is perhaps fanless box, 6500T may have active cooling.

There are new barebone boxes with 11th gen Celeron/Pentium chip for under $200.
I am about to jump onto the same boat of Pfsense/OpenWRT journey.