What's new

FlexQoS Adaptive QoS at full Giagbit Speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kanji-San

Regular Contributor
So far I thought Asus routers could not handle full gigabit speeds with Adaptive QoS turned on. This was my experience with my, now gone, RT-AX88U. Adaptive QoS limited the maximum download and upload speeds to around 500Mbit/s instead of the about 940Mbit/s when turned off.

My new RT-AX86U provides full gigabit speeds when Adaptive QoS, with FlexQoS of course :) , is turned on. Both Runner and Flow Cache are enabled.

Why is that? I thought the AX88 and AX86 were pretty close from a hardware perspective.

With QoS:
RT-AX86U with QoS Speed.png

Without QoS:
RT-AX86U without QoS Speed.png

Hardware does not (by itself) make the world go 'round. :)

Design optimizations with and without the chipset and SoC's used make a difference.

I have AX88U running latest merlin beta HW accel fully enabled and test via fast.com is showing >750 Mbit from ntb connected via wifi.
ookla is showing similar results.
FlexQOS enabled

I have AX88U running latest merlin beta HW accel fully enabled and test via fast.com is showing >750 Mbit from ntb connected via wifi.
ookla is showing similar results.
FlexQOS enabled
This is interesting. I noticed that my speedtests are all over the place and inconsistent especially for the download portion. For the charts above, I downloaded multiple Linux distributions via qBittorrent which seems to fully utilize my gigabit connection.

Sorry, that's not correct. My AC86U with (configuration in signature) can handle my Gigabit downstream connection.

My AX88U sees 940-950Mbit down with Adaptive QOS off.
It only achieves 700ish with Adaptive QOS on.
I haven’t yet tried FlexQOS.

My AX88U sees 940-950Mbit down with Adaptive QOS off.
It only achieves 700ish with Adaptive QOS on.
I haven’t yet tried FlexQOS.

There's definitely something off. I can get the full speed of Gigabit Ethernet (940mbps) with Adaptive QoS ON, on my AC86U.

You must be setting a low speed setting. Try entering 1000 as download speed just to test.

There's definitely something off. I can get the full speed of Gigabit Ethernet (940mbps) with Adaptive QoS ON, on my AC86U.

You must be setting a low speed setting. Try entering 1000 as download speed just to test.
Thanks CriticJay - I tried that, but still don't see higher speeds.
I wonder if it's App Analysis. I'll try turning that off.

[RT-AX88 with 386.3 FW] Thanks for this thread. Don't get here often, and was surprised to see runner and flow-cache now still enabled with adaptive qos turned on. Without using FlexQOS I enabled adaptive qos and was able to get a little over 800 Mb/s using local servers (best is 940/940 with no QOS). That is a pleasant surprise, since in the past, I could barely get above 400 with Adaptive QOS enabled. Since you have to enable trendmicro routines for adaptive qos I decided to turn on AIprotection and that knocked another 60-100 Mb/s off the test, leaving me with just over 700 Mb/s. In the past it was a no brainer - I took speed over AIprotect and QOS. Now, I actually have to make a choice on whether to give up 200 Mb/s for QOS and Aiprotect. Anyway, it's nice to see the code change for runner/flow-cache. Again, thanks for pointing that out.

So whats the verdict here? Is the AX86U faster than the AX88U?

i am after something with more than 4 LAN ports but id prefer something that performs better

The RT-AX86U is the superior router (particularly for latency). Buy a $10 switch for your wired needs.

Yes, way cheaper and the better overall router option.

To take advantage of the 2.5GbE port, get a QNAP QSW-1105-5T. I'm using 2x to get 2.5GbE backhaul (AiMesh) and wired connections to my devices.

I get full speeds on my side with Adaptive QOS on or off didn't use flex for this test.

AI Protection is off.

@Makaveli, what is 'full speeds' for you?

How've you managed to enable Flow Cache with QoS? For some reason my HW acceleration only shows: HW acceleration: Enabled

What model router do you have and what firmware version are you on?

Myself and Elmer above both have it enabled when we put on adaptive but were also on the same model and firmware version.

Last edited:
What model router do you have and what firmware version are you on?

Myself and Elmer above both have it enabled when we put on adaptive but we also also on the same model and firmware version.
Yes sorry, i jumped the gun on my last comment!

I have the RT-AC88U (I incorrectly assumed i had the same model as you) running 386.3

thanks for taking the time to reply, I'll try put on adaptive and see what happens

i have the same issue guys running on Ax-88u on Merlin 386.5_2
Without QOS:
without_qos.JPG

With Adaptive QOS and FlexQOS 1.3.1 set at 630 Mbps (download) and 36 Mbps (upload):
with_qos.JPG

Losing 200Mbps there.
Any setting other than Adaptive QOS that plays apart? Can't I use QOS to maintain 700Mbps download?

Thanks in advance and appreciate your feedback.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!