What's new

AdGuard

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks!

I wonder how correct that test is.

On my Mac I score 100% on Safari (with AdGuard extension), but only 81% in Firefox (no ad block extension installed). One of the domains that is not blocked is tiktok.com. After manually adding *.tiktok.com to the deny-list of NextDNS, flushing my DNS cache, and clearing the browser cache, the test scores the same 81%; still telling me that TikTok stuff is not blocked. However, in the NextDNS log I do see that the entry is blocked and `nslookup` returns 0.0.0.0.

(The test claims to be compatible with NextDNS, if you don't use block pages, which I indeed don't use)

Alas, not it.

Apple devices may go around your DNS filtering. Try this, Deny List:

1699736385166.png

1699736416476.png

Apple devices may go around your DNS filtering. Try this, Deny List:

View attachment 54137

View attachment 54138
Yup, any Apple device with ‘Apple Private Relay’ enabled will ignore any router DNS settings.
Plus, any Apple device with a DNS profile installed will do likewise.

You’re dead right. I should have remembered I’d encountered this problem with Apple devices a while back when turning on Apple Private Relay. Thank you for the reminder.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...all-other-devices-protected.80420/post-784615.

I’ve a query/observation, and because it’s come out of playing with the suggestions and advice given in this topic, I decided to put it here rather than start a new thread.

RT-AC68U running Diversion (with pixelserv), Skynet, Unbound. Merlin 386.12.

Router WAN DNS server setting is to Adguard.

DNS Director Global Redirection is set to Router, IP address 192.168.10.1.

I set out to confirm Adguard was indeed being used as my DNS Server.

On my iPad, using the terminal app, Termius, I do indeed see Adguard as my DNS server using nslookup, but it’s the ONLY test that confirms this:

IMG_1558.jpeg

If, in a browser on Windows, Ubuntu or an Apple device, I go to dnsleaktest.com, or 1.1.1.1/help, my DNS server is given as TalkTalk (my ISP).

If I use nslookup in a Windows terminal, and type in a domain I have never visited before, the DNS server address is that of my router, and the answer is invariably listed as non-authoritative:

image.png

Similarly, if I use nslookup in an Ubuntu terminal, and type in a domain I have never visited before, the DNS server address comes up as 127.0.0.53, and, again, the answer is invariably listed as non-authoritative:

image.png

If I hadn’t seen Adguard listed in Termius on my iPad (top screenshot), I might have been posting saying that despite setting Adguard as my DNS server, my DNS queries are going to my ISP instead. Similarly, I might have asked why, in a terminal, is my router being given as my DNS server, despite Adguard being specified (although, I possibly can see the logic in that).

So, I guess this has taught me - unless I have missed a trick - that one has to be very careful when using tests such as dnsleak and others, and even terminals, before concluding where the DNS queries are really being handled.

I would very much appreciate some expert analysis/corrections/advice on this, please, especially if something really is amiss.

I’ve a query/observation, and because it’s come out of playing with the suggestions and advice given in this topic, I decided to put it here rather than start a new thread.

On my iPad, using the terminal app, Termius, I do indeed see Adguard as my DNS server using nslookup, but it’s the ONLY test that confirms this:

View attachment 54163

If, in a browser on Windows, Ubuntu or an Apple device, I go to dnsleaktest.com, or 1.1.1.1/help, my DNS server is given as TalkTalk (my ISP).

If I use nslookup in a Windows terminal, and type in a domain I have never visited before, the DNS server address is that of my router, and the answer is invariably listed as non-authoritative:

View attachment 54164

Similarly, if I use nslookup in an Ubuntu terminal, and type in a domain I have never visited before, the DNS server address comes up as 127.0.0.53, and, again, the answer is invariably listed as non-authoritative:

View attachment 54165

If I hadn’t seen Adguard listed in Termius on my iPad (top screenshot), I might have been posting saying that despite setting Adguard as my DNS server, my DNS queries are going to my ISP instead. Similarly, I might have asked why, in a terminal, is my router being given as my DNS server, despite Adguard being specified (although, I possibly can see the logic in that).

So, I guess this has taught me - unless I have missed a trick - that one has to be very careful when using tests such as dnsleak and others, and even terminals, before concluding where the DNS queries are really being handled.

I would very much appreciate some expert analysis/corrections/advice on this, please, especially if something really is amiss.

You should fire up @eibgrad's old DNSMON script... it usually gives you some pretty good insight on which path lookups are taking... ;)

And this is another one of my troubleshooting fav's:

1699824929525.png

This is a test of the router, not the iPad. The router (by default) uses the WAN DNS servers. Clients will use the router’s dnsmasq by default. Linux clients usually have a local resolver (e.g. systemd-resolved).

Unbound as your resolver will make your own WAN IP appear in leak tests (your WAN IP does still belong to your ISP). Clients’ queries will never reach AdGuard when Unbound is running.

Last edited:
This is a test of the router, not the iPad. The router (by default) uses the WAN DNS servers. Clients will use the router’s dnsmasq by default. Linux clients usually have a local resolver (e.g. systemd-resolved).

Unbound as your resolver will make your own WAN IP appear in leak tests (your WAN IP does still belong to your ISP). Clients’ queries will never reach AdGuard when Unbound is running.
Thanks, Dave.

Clients’ queries will never reach AdGuard when Unbound is running.” Of course! I mistakenly thought a domain never requested before would be forwarded from Unbound to Adguard. Definitively time to ditch Unbound Manager and start again. I can’t remember learning as much from any topic as the rabbit holes this topic has sent me down.

Last edited:

Unbound Manager uninstalled and now dnsleaktest.com does indeed show Adguard as the DNS server. (The results using nslookup in the terminals including Termius, are as they were before uninstalling Unbound.)

So, many thanks. This really has been a really valuable exercise, and it’s not over yet. It’s also proved several laws: the law of Unintended Consequence, Keep it Simple Stupid, Sod’s Law, and if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. And probably quite a few more.

View attachment 54163

View attachment 54164

View attachment 54165

Surprised you just didnt throw
Bash:
server=/mask.icloud.com/
server=/mask-h2.icloud.com/
server=/mask.apple-dns.net/
or (for newer dnsmasq versions.)
Bash:
local=/mask.icloud.com/
local=/mask-h2.icloud.com/
local=/mask.apple-dns.net/
in the ole' dnsmasq.conf.add and call it a day.

Methods with pihole discussed here:

and https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/icloud-private-relay/49811/2 .

Preferred DNS control methods are "NXDOMAIN" or "NULL". No-Data responses cause issues.

And with AdGuardHome there are many approaches to dealing with this issue, but one of the more popular is with DNS rewrites.

The method below only rewrites the IP for a "NULL" response.

1700027427089.png

Another method.. "NXDOMAIN" response.

1700029624434.png

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!