What's new

AdGuard

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hang on a minute. You have Forward Local Domain Queries to Upstream DNS selected to Yes. Now, please correct me if I’m wrong, but is that not the setting that sends the dns query to your ISP’s dns server? (Anyway, mine is set to No, but I seem to be seeing something similar to you. I will try my laptop instead of my iPad.)

Last edited:
I carried the DNS Leak Test, and whilst I didn’t see the 94.140 servers, This came up:

195.181.164.46dns.adguard-dns.com.

The “adguard” in the hostname giving reassurance. I used dnsleaktest.com.

Did your leak test perhaps send you to another adguard server?

My DNS requests go to

184.75.214.194azurebrobdingnagian.com.Amanah TechToronto, Canada

That is my problem identified now. I have to dig around and resolve it.

It should report similar to yours.

According to a DNS leak test, my DNS is a service in Toronto. It is 2 hours away and my ISP is local. Should it not say the 94.140 DNS numbers?

When I test https://d3ward.github.io/toolz/adblock.html using my laptop (Edge or Chrome even with uBlock Origin turned off), I get completely different results to those obtained when I use my iPad (except for when I run Brave on the iPad with Shields Up) - from one extreme to the other!

I don’t think you’ve mentioned which device or devices you’ve tested using, but it certainly is worth trying a different device with a different operating system, especially, if, like me, you’ve been using an iPad.

I do hope you get to the bottom of this: it’s starting to bug me.

Last edited:
My DNS requests go to

What about your setting Forward Local Domain Queries to Upstream DNS which you have set to Yes. I think it’s supposed to be set to No, otherwise your DNS query gets sent to your ISP’s server, I believe. Perhaps try changing that setting and see what happens.

My DNS requests go to

There is definitely something to check on DNS Settings ("Upstream DNS servers" as an example) and others options related to "catch" DNS query and get them redirected to AdGuard Home.
I am in Quebec and my DNS request are directed to DNS Servers I have specified in "Upstream DNS servers", not to my ISP neither to somewhere else.
Hope you will find the solution.

What about your setting Forward Local Domain Queries to Upstream DNS which you have set to Yes. I think it’s supposed to be set to No, otherwise your DNS query gets sent to your ISP’s server, I believe. Perhaps try changing that setting and see what happens.
It should be set to No, but not for the reasons you think. It just prevents queries for local resources (internal domain, private IPs, unqualified hostnames) from being sent to the WAN DNS servers.

It won’t change his outcome, but he needs to do it anyway. :)

And another thing: is your Global Redirection set to Router?

IMG_1557.jpeg

Start running this query:

On PC:
Code:
nslookup dnscheck.adguard-dns.com
On router:
Code:
nslookup dnscheck.adguard-dns.com 127.0.0.1

If it’s reaching AG, it will give a valid response. Otherwise, non-existent domain.

Post the results.

It should be set to No, but not for the reasons you think. It just prevents queries for local resources (internal domain, private IPs, unqualified hostnames) from being sent to the WAN DNS servers.

It won’t change his outcome, but he needs to do it anyway. :)
Many thanks for clarifying that for me. I think I now see how I might have got the wrong end of the stick for that setting. Much appreciated.

Well I
When I test https://d3ward.github.io/toolz/adblock.html using my laptop (Edge or Chrome even with uBlock Origin turned off), I get completely different results to those obtained when I use my iPad (except for when I run Brave on the iPad with Shields Up) - from one extreme to the other!

I don’t think you’ve mentioned which device or devices you’ve tested using, but it certainly is worth trying a different device with a different operating system, especially, if, like me, you’ve been using an iPad.

I do hope you get to the bottom of this: it’s starting to bug me.

Well hey. I am 90% of the way there! I was thinking of different browsers, not different systems. Checking DNS and adblocking via my phone is correct, as is my tablet. My wife's Windows laptop is incorrect however with Windows I am just about there. I can check my kid's Mac later tonight. You do not dare even look in its direction if she is not home...

I tried entering DNS numbers in the network>adapter>ip4 settings. No luck, something still overrides that.

I am so pleased. I was going nuts. You guys were all helpful and I appreciate it.

Bj

I tried entering DNS numbers in the network>adapter>ip4 settings. No luck, something still overrides that.
What kind of “helpful” Antivirus tools are installed on that PC?

Well I

Well hey. I am 90% of the way there! I was thinking of different browsers, not different systems. Checking DNS and adblocking via my phone is correct, as is my tablet. My wife's Windows laptop is incorrect however with Windows I am just about there. I can check my kid's Mac later tonight. You do not dare even look in its direction if she is not home...

I am so pleased. I was going nuts. You guys were all helpful and I appreciate it.

Bj

You wrote: “I tried entering DNS numbers in the network>adapter>ip4 settings. No luck, something still overrides that.” If you have your router’s DNS Director setting set to the Router under Global Redirection, as I believe it needs to be, then I think that may well explain why it doesn’t matter what DNS settings you put into the Windows network adapter DNS settings: that Global Redirection setting overrides other settings, or so I believe, which is really what you want to happen: it makes the router the ultimate decider of the DNS server, otherwise you could easily end up with different DNS server settings on each one of your devices and you’re left wondering why every device behaves differently.

Start running this query:

On PC:
Code:
On router:
Code:
nslookup dnscheck.adguard-dns.com 127.0.0.1

If it’s reaching AG, it will give a valid response. Otherwise, non-existent domain.

Post the results.

PC:

Server: RT-AX88U.AX88U
Address: 192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: dnscheck.adguard-dns.com
Addresses: 2a10:50c0::ad1:ff

Router:

Server: 94.140.14.14
Address 1: 94.140.14.14 dns.adguard.com

Address 2: 2a10:50c0::ad1:ff dns.adguard.com

Server: 127.0.0.1
Address 1: 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain

Address 2: 2a10:50c0::ad1:ff dns.adguard.com

You wrote: “I tried entering DNS numbers in the network>adapter>ip4 settings. No luck, something still overrides that.” If you have your router’s DNS Director setting set to the Router under Global Redirection, as I believe it needs to be, then I think that may well explain why it doesn’t matter what DNS settings you put into the Windows network adapter DNS settings: that Global Redirection setting overrides other settings, or so I believe, which is really what you want to happen: it makes the router the ultimate decider of the DNS server, otherwise you could easily end up with different DNS server settings on each one of your devices and you’re left wondering why every device behaves differently.

The haunted router - Global Redirection is set to Router.

Who's your ISP? Try DNS-over-TLS to AdGuard DNS and see what happens.

So you think. Look for any features like "Real Site" and disable them. They interfere with DNS.

Interesting. I turned it off and ad blocking works now! The DNS leak test shows a series of Google addresses, no Ad Guard. One big step at a time I guess.

thanks alot. Great idea.

Bj

Because I have my RT-AX86U running:

View attachment 54054

AdGuard DNS only:

View attachment 54055

With uBlock Origin:

View attachment 54056

Find what's wrong with your setup.
I used Diversion during some time and I switched to AdGuard Home ealier this year.
I have a RT-AX86U, Firmware 388.2_2.

WAN - Internet Connection, DNS settings:
View attachment 54065
In incognito mode (Edge and Chrome), so using only AdGuard Home :
View attachment 54066

And with uBlock Origin:
View attachment 54067
I think the best you can get with this test using dns level adblocking only (and no ublock origin) is 93%. If anybody can get better with only DNS level Adblocking, please feel free to share your technique or lists.

1699679384655.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!