What's new

AdGuard

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

keef

Hello. I did a fresh install of AdGuard Home and I am seeing very, very little ad blocking when testing at https://d3ward.github.io/toolz/adblock.html

Out of 150 ads I continually filter 4. I have the basic filter lists enabled. I tried most of them in various combinations. When trying speedtest no ads are blocked. I deleted my browser cache.

thanks, Bj

What browser are you using?
I thought I was on to something when I found in Edge settings I had 'use secure DNS' enabled. Alas that was not it. I tried Diversion and it does not work either. DNS Director is on and
I have re-direction set to Router. I am missing something pretty fundamental to have both not working.

thanks, I am dead in the water here.

Check what DNS servers your clients are using:

Check what DNS servers your clients are using:

You are on to something. The leak DNS site reports a DNS out of Prague. I'm not sure how to get rid of this. ipconfig reports a DNS the same as the router IP. It is not browser-specific. I went to the DNS leak site using Opera and got the same results.

Weird, but on to something.

Without knowing your exact configuration it's impossible to tell what is wrong. AdGuard Home on the router replaces Dnsmasq and whatever is set as upstream servers in AdGuard Home has to show as your DNS. The router still acts as DNS proxy providing own IP address as DNS server via DHCP to clients. Please, read the AdGuard Home threads and start over if needed. It works well and the installation process is made simple.

Without knowing your exact configuration it's impossible to tell what is wrong. AdGuard Home on the router replaces Dnsmasq and whatever is set as upstream servers in AdGuard Home has to show as your DNS. The router still acts as DNS proxy providing own IP address as DNS server via DHCP to clients. Please, read the AdGuard Home threads and start over if needed. It works well and the installation process is made simple.

Most of that I understand at the 10000-foot level. I never could get a handle on this. stuff. I'll give this another shot and start at square one.

When I uninstalled AGH, the DNS leak site reported I am using GoDaddy as a DNS.

thanks

There are DNS settings in both WAN and LAN pages. I don't know what you have set there. Leave LAN settings at default and change WAN settings to AdGuard DNS. This is perhaps easier for you and doesn't require extra scripts and software. The final result is about the same.

1699291331976.png

I believe Asuswrt has even presets for the servers above. The same with Asuswrt-Merlin.

Diversion and Skynet run on my router.

https://d3ward.github.io/toolz/adblock.html I’ve been looking at the differences, using that test site, when, for example, I use Brave with shields up and down as well as other browsers. I’ve also had a play with selecting Adguard as the DNS server on the WAN page in the router GUI. (This page has changed sinced I last looked, now offering an easy-to-understand selection of DNS servers.)

After all this, it’s left me believing that the test at https://d3ward.github.io/toolz/adblock.html is simulating the various scripts, trackers, ads on the assumption they would have made it through to your browser. So, in a way, it may be like the various safe scripts you can use to test if your anti-virus is working. So my suspicion is that it cannot test whether or not Diversion or Adguard is working on the router, but it can tell you how good Brave, or your browser add-ons are by simulating a variety of undesirables. So, I believe it tells you nothing about whether or not there are any defences blocking their progression through to the browser. In which case, you may perhaps be drawing the wrong conclusion after using this test?

However, I await the views of others on this. Going off at a slight tangent, I’m always hoping to find a DNS service that claims to block advertisements AND phishing, spam, malware and malicious domains. The list offered on the WAN page implies you need to choose between the 2; is there such a service?

Last edited:
Thanks, I sincerely
There are DNS settings in both WAN and LAN pages. I don't know what you have set there. Leave LAN settings at default and change WAN settings to AdGuard DNS. This is perhaps easier for you and doesn't require extra scripts and software. The final result is about the same.

View attachment 53970

I believe Asuswrt has even presets for the servers above. The same with Asuswrt-Merlin.

View attachment 53970

thanks, I'll give them a shot. I used to have Diversion working on a different router (not to blame Diversion or Asus).

Bj

Thanks, I sincerely

thanks, I'll give them a shot. I used to have Diversion working on a different router (not to blame Diversion or Asus).

Bj
I have facebook, tiktok and twitter blacklisted in Diversion, and if ever I’m in any doubt as to whether or not Diversion is working, I try to connect to any of them. Of course, the only time Diversion doesn’t work is when I join a public wifi (or I select 4G/5G) having forgotten to connect to my OpenVPN server first, the giveaway being the shock of seeing adverts all over the place - it’s at times like those that I’m reminded just what a superb job Diversion (and Skynet) does.

Reactions: fsb

View attachment 53970

As sober as a judge.... using AdGuard as my DNS blocks next to nothing. Edge/Chrome and Opera all report the same 3% of ads blocked. That is with a router reset to the factory settings. I reformatted the USB drive and installed Diversion again. The Diversion counter is counting up blocked ads, very few however something is working. I did have it running properly several months ago and worked very well. I loved it.

I swear to all that is holy my router is haunted.

Because I have my RT-AX86U running:

1699579818414.png

AdGuard DNS only:

1699579838816.png

With uBlock Origin:

1699579894651.png

Find what's wrong with your setup.

I used Diversion during some time and I switched to AdGuard Home ealier this year.
I have a RT-AX86U, Firmware 388.2_2.

WAN - Internet Connection, DNS settings:
1699625732048.png

In incognito mode (Edge and Chrome), so using only AdGuard Home :
1699625941095.png

And with uBlock Origin:
1699625972288.png

Reactions: fsb
I used Diversion during some time and I switched to AdGuard Home ealier this year.
I have a RT-AX86U, Firmware 388.2_2.

WAN - Internet Connection, DNS settings:
View attachment 54065
In incognito mode (Edge and Chrome), so using only AdGuard Home :
View attachment 54066

And with uBlock Origin:
View attachment 54067
dns setttings II.jpg

Well, I am still not blocking. I will start over again. Something small is missing.

I thank everyone for their time and ideas. Just about there.....

According to a DNS leak test, my DNS is a service in Toronto. It is 2 hours away and my ISP is local. Should it not say the 94.140 DNS numbers?

According to a DNS leak test, my DNS is a service in Toronto. It is 2 hours away and my ISP is local. Should it not say the 94.140 DNS numbers?

I carried the DNS Leak Test, and whilst I didn’t see the 94.140 servers, This came up:

195.181.164.46dns.adguard-dns.com.

The “adguard” in the hostname giving reassurance. I used dnsleaktest.com.

Did your leak test perhaps send you to another adguard server?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!