What's new

Advanced usage for AC86U router with entware and optware ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

halilnevzat

Occasional Visitor
Hi, First i wanna thanks to all snbforums members. my asus ac86u router become a great way to learn and practice linux,shell,network subjects with the help of you guys !

my question is how can i configure my router to run individual packages such as rtorrent,rutorrent,file and media sharing/streaming. i have 8gb flashdrive formatted as ext4 which is entware is installed on. also i have 2 tb of external harddrive formatted as ntfs. i plan to run all applications on usb drive but use my 2tb HDD as storage. i have lots of question but for now i just want to know about people who uses ac86u with asuswrt-merlin and made great things !

btw i also want to ask that i have isp provided modem which is for fiber connections with fiber converter built on. i have connected my asus router to that modem with LAN cable. my router runs on wireless router mode and i just simply connected my lan cable to wan port for my asus router. which is end up with double nat, i have figured it out how can i use port forwardings to access from wan. how can i remove my isp provided modem to access wan directly from my router by just using isp provided modem as a fiber converter. thanks all !!!!

informations that you would need about my set-up you might ask;

1- router is asus ac86u with asuswrt-merlin 386.9 installed.
2- router is accessing wan via my isp provided modem lan port.
3- router static ip to connect wan over modem is 192.168.1.2
4- router gui ip is 192.168.2.1 and dhcp starts from it.
5- im using port forwarding on my isp provided modem to access my router interface from wan.
6- im able to access admin interface on my modem. so there is bridge mode settings unlocked but ive tried and failed. i have pppoe access informations that taken from my isp but router is failed to connect. (i think my isp doing some extra security verification such as LOID and SLID)
7- im able to access my router via SSH.
8- amtm,scmerlin,opkg is installed.

my first plan to achieve is learning how to setup rtorrent and rutorrent. after that i gotta figure out how can i update rutorrent each time when it gets updated as easy as possible. second plan is creating a personal cloud that i can access my files and share my files through direct download links. and i should also be able to stream my media files without transcoding.

THANKS ALL !!!! especially jackyaz.

Entware is a replacement for optware. You can't have both installed at the same time. Optware is considered obsolete.

5- im using port forwarding on my isp provided modem to access my router interface from wan.
Do not expose your router's web interface to the internet. It is not secure and has a history of being compromised.

Entware is a replacement for optware. You can't have both installed at the same time. Optware is considered obsolete.

Do not expose your router's web interface to the internet. It is not secure and has a history of being compromised.
i have changed the default ports, and there is no alternative way if i want to access my interface from wan AFAIK. thx for the warning !