What's new

Anomaly RAM Usage 97%

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ABSCrazy

New Around Here
Hello community,
i m a little bit afraid about my Asus Router (with merlin firmware)... I m actually using about the 97% of the RAM.

How could i understand what is using all these RAM? Is it possible that could be done by the DNS DIrector feature?

RT-AX88U Pro
Current Version : 3004.388.6_2

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-03 210709.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-03 210709.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 86
Don't be afraid. Let the router and the RAM do their jobs as they're designed to do.

If and when you have an actual issue, come back and give specifics.

Knowing what uses the RAM won't 'fix' anything. But between Buffers, Cache, and temporary extra usage (as required), the RAM is being utilized correctly and effectively all on its own by the router/OS.

I started be afraid because i had a issue trying to connect a Smartphone to the wireless network, but the Router was not (i think) correctly handling the pairing of the device (the password was correct).

I rebooted and the RAM became 60%, and the wifi fixed.

Did you try rebooting the device first?

Hello community,
i m a little bit afraid about my Asus Router (with merlin firmware)... I m actually using about the 97% of the RAM.

How could i understand what is using all these RAM? Is it possible that could be done by the DNS DIrector feature?

RT-AX88U Pro
Current Version : 3004.388.6_2
I see you have a USB drive plugged into slot one. And you likely use it to store files that you access from other PC's via Samba file sharing. Having the RAM go up like that is "normal" when you share files. If you are concerned, create a swap file on the USB drive. Then, when the RAM usage gets high the router can use the swap file for more"memory."

Last edited:
Be not afraid... unused RAM is WASTED RAM!

1712188513233.jpeg

Completely normal... it's so efficient in fact, that it still hasn't even TOUCHED my swap file!

1712188681743.png

Screenshot_2024-04-04-06-37-19-11_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

'nuff said!

There really should be a sticky at the top of this thread for this question.

Lots of skepticism in this thread... "SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience."... 8-}

Anyway, I have a AX-86U PRO and am seeing the same thing with a brand new router. No issues with my previous AC-86U which sadly gave up the ghost a few weeks ago.

(Merlin 3004.388.6_2, Adaptive QOS, no addons [sadly - I miss FlexQOS])

Router starts with 60% RAM usage and steadily increases by around 2% per day until devices start dropping off the WiFi.

In my case cfg_server is using the RAM.

For now I have scheduled a weekly reboot, and am going to wait until after the next GPL upgrade to get too worried about it.

If it continues I'll revert to the ASUS firmware to see if it recurs.

Presenting facts are 'skepticism' now?

After you installed RMerlin firmware, did you do a full reset to factory defaults? Without using any saved backup config file? And without plugging in any USB drives (particularly any previously used for amtm/scripts)?

What other features and options past defaults (after the full reset) have you enabled or toggled on your router?

Presenting facts are 'skepticism' now?

You might want to read the other replies above - a new user reports an issue and the majority of replies that follow shout him/her down with its "completely normal" and "nothing to see here".

Anyway, my point was that he/she is not the only one seeing some memory issues.

After you installed RMerlin firmware, did you do a full reset to factory defaults? Without using any saved backup config file? And without plugging in any USB drives (particularly any previously used for amtm/scripts)?

What other features and options past defaults (after the full reset) have you enabled or toggled on your router?

As per my post, its a brand new router which I *assume* (yup I know) started with factory defaults, and only Adaptive QOS enabled. It was configured from scratch (no backup config).

I am not concerned at this point - I will start investigating if the issue recurs with later firmware and/or if others report a similar issue with cfg_server.

You're not understanding what I wrote.

Neither are you answering any questions.

I have a AX-86U PRO and am seeing the same thing with a brand new router.
I too have a RT-AX86U Pro also running Asus-Merlin 3004.388.6_2 and do not see, or appear to have, any memory issues. RAM usage seems to stay right around 49% to 52% any time I check. I do not have any QoS enabled. And I do not have a USB drive attached to the router (so no File Server/no SMB).

The OP has a USB drive attached as indicated by their screen shot in their initial post. Using the File Server (Samba/SMB) option on Asus routers is well known to cause the RAM usage to spike to 97% and stay there for some time when users are copying/accessing files via SMB on the USB drive. There are a number of other discussions on it. I made a post about this RAM usage being stuck at 97% issue when using a USB drive/SMB last year in another discussion:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ax92u-usb-smb-seems-fragile-crashes-router.73108/#post-842702
If one is experiencing that specific Samba/SMB issue with the router one can try clearing the router cache to see if the RAM usage drops back to normal usage. Example SSH codes usage to clear the cache (use at your own risk):
Code:
sync; echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
or
sync && echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
or
free && sync && echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches && free
The following post explains how a person used a crontab job and a script to clear the cache at a set time every day:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...e-for-select-models.81644/page-24#post-801602

PS: Current RAM/Memory usage on a RT-AX86U Pro:
RAM.jpg

Memory.jpg

Last edited:
Same here, RT-AX86U running Asus-Merlin 3004.388.7_1. Also 97% now. Never saw it that high. Last reboot 1 week ago. Usually 49% after restart and stationary 62%.
Many(3 times per second) warnings: "lld2d[1599]: packetio_recv_handler: g_opcode 8 with seq=21885 (from realsrc=a4:22:xx:xx:xx:10) is illegal; dropping" in log.
Router in AP mode after ISP modem. 1 USB to printer and 1 USB to WD My Passport ext Harddrive.

Also 97% now. ... and 1 USB to WD My Passport ext Harddrive.
As explained above this is perfectly normal after reading or writing more than about 480MB of data to the USB drive.

Many(3 times per second) warnings: "lld2d[1599]: packetio_recv_handler: g_opcode 8 with seq=21885 (from realsrc=a4:22:xx:xx:xx:10) is illegal; dropping" in log.
Router in AP mode after ISP modem.
I suggest you start a separate thread for this as it is unrelated to this thread. But if your RT-AX86U is in AP mode it should not be plugged directly into a modem, it should be plugged into a router.

I have an ax86u pro. With two usb drives connected, though I rarely access either (just convenient storage really). I recently went away for a couple of weeks. I rebooted the router before leaving. Memory usage sat at 62% for the whole time I was away. Usually it sits at 97%. When I got back I had to transfer a file onto one of the router drives and another between different drives on the network. Lo and behold, mem usage shot up to 97%. It's sat there for five days now. No problems. In my case the normal state according to my usage seems to be 97% and it causes no problems at all. I've got a swap file configured, but it never seems to get any use.

@ColinTaylor. Ah, thx. About the writing to the HD, that's a plausible explanation. Regarding the connection, the Asus is connected to the routerpart of the modem/router.