What's new

Advice needed - AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beneelim

New Around Here
Hi all! So happy I found a forum just for networks :D

I'm in the market for a new router and I've got my eyes on AC68U since AC87U is quite pricey and still new. I was wondering if AC68U has "matured" as a product, firmware wise. Not looking to lose much time on a router, just want to configure it and forget it's even there. Would you guys recommend it? I really like Asus routers, I'm just a bit worried about support since I've seen a lot of firmware topics here.

Router should serve wifi for the entire house (2 storeys, 200 m2 / 2150 sq feet per storey). There would be 2 desktops, 2 laptops, 4 mobile phones, 2 tablets and a NAS connecting to it (not all at the same time of course).
Would this router be able to do this with no problems? I would really appreciate your advice.

Cheers!

I've been using the AC68U in a larger home setting, lots of devices. It's been nothing short of outstanding. More expensive compared to the others? Yes. Worth the price? I sure think so.

I installed the Merlin F/W a couple of weeks ago. I'd suggest reviewing that upgrade. Changes to the interface are very minor.

Good luck!

I'm using an older ac66u in a home & networking lab environment. 5 wireless (3 over an ex6200 bridge) and 15 hardwired, on average I pass a few TB of data through the router a month. As a whole, the Asus router product line is fairly mature and rock solid.

I'm using the RT-AC68u in a large home with between 18 to 25 devices (many chromecasts, tablets, network disks, portables, phones, etc) and I have no problem with the access, even outdoor (in that case I may have to go on the 2.4 band).

It is a good work horse. I'm also using it for backup purposes.
I think that there is now a new version of the 68 running at a higher CPU cycle, but I don't think it would help you much if your intention is to do "just " routing.

Thanks for all the answers guys! Just what I needed to hear. I was only worried about range and buggy F/W.

@huotg01 That's exactly what I'm looking for, a work horse of sorts. Wifi, routing, streaming & maybe some QoS later. I'm using my synology for storage and as a vpn server so that's about it.

Thanks for all the answers guys! Just what I needed to hear. I was only worried about range and buggy F/W.

@huotg01 That's exactly what I'm looking for, a work horse of sorts. Wifi, routing, streaming & maybe some QoS later. I'm using my synology for storage and as a vpn server so that's about it.

For basic operation, the device is fine. Good range, etc. It's the advanced features that folks run into problems with. That, and the lack of documentation.

I have a specific problem with using dual WAN in failover mode with the watchdog option enabled. If I disable it, everything works fine. That's it - one problem, but it's annoying as hell. Asus knows about for over a year they've been unable to fix it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!